Start by marking “Garfield Gains Weight (Garfield, #2)” as Want to Read:
Garfield Gains Weight (Garfield, #2)

Garfield Gains Weight

(Garfield #2)

He sleeps late and wakes up grouchy. He hates joggers, beats up dogs, and shreds his owner. He's cynical, witty, urbane, and sometimes downright mean. But best of all, he's back, better than ever, to delight cat-lovers and cat-haters alike.
Published August 27th 1999 by Ballantine Books (first published March 1981)

Start your review of Garfield Gains Weight (Garfield, #2)
Leo .
Mar 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a mischievous moggy he is!!👍🐯
Jerry
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Continuing where the first volume left off, this second collection of strips contains more of the Tubby Tabby's early hilarity. Some of my favorite fat cat moments are here as well, such as when Lyman pulls a prank on Jon, or when Garfield's single owner first met the lovely Liz. There were others I'd forgotten about, but that still made me laugh.

The strip was definitely different in its early years than it is now; I actually have always preferred the classic ones to what I've seen in the daily
Stephen
3.5 stars. Before Calvin and Hobbes and The Farside, Garfield was the gold standard for humorous comic strips. This is book two of the Garfied collection and the beginning of a where Garfield really hits his stride. Recommended!!
Rachel
4 stars.

Another day, another great Garfield comic. I especially like this one because it's the one where John and Garfield meet Liz.
Josiah
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Garfield, Odie, Jon Arbuckle, and even Lyman are back in Garfield Gains Weight: His Second Book, featuring every Garfield comic strip from January 23 to August 26, 1979. The evolution of Jim Davis's artwork is less noticeable from start to finish than in Garfield at Large: His First Book, but some refinement can be seen in Garfield's appearance. The tone of the comics isn't much different from the first half-year of Garfield: jokes about him loving food and loathing mondays, being grossly overwe ...more
Michael H
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Tis is a book about when garfield wakes up hungry and he gets a mean and mad then it just other little short comics inside. I like it because it is not just one story it is many. It made me feel happy because it made me laugh a little inside. If you read the other Garfield books you would like this one its like some of the 19 something comics (i forget what it is called) with just some short comics in it.
Erin
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: dudes
Jim Davis is a fucking crazy genius. He draws Garfield with bold strokes and a bolder heart. Garfield can be a dick to Odie and Nermal, but can you blame him? Jon's kind of a puss.
Christyn
Garfield Gains Weightis the second Garfield book. I liked it, but it wasn't as good as the first one in my opinion. There was a lot of eating and laziness (but this is Garfield). Garfield and Odie's antics are always fun, we are also introduced to Liz in this book (I like Liz). There is also Garfield's brief career as the "Caped Avenger" which was fun. Their are some funny and amusing strips that I really liked but a lot more that were just kind of repetitive. Still, a fun book when you need a l ...more
Jen
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was my favorite strip cartoon when I was a kid, and remains in the top 5, definitely. Davis just perfectly captures the wonderful insanity that is cats, and Jon is so lovely and pathetic. This collection is one of the early ones, with Jon first meeting Liz, Odie's character not terribly fleshed out, and the illustrations being slightly different than later version. Still the lovable sarcasm of the lasagna-eating fiend, though. Definitely good for a quick laugh.
Bryan
Dec 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it say about the life of a lazy cat and how lazy this cat can get in trouble and how his owner be so blind with this cat, I also like the dog in this story, it was very entreteinent to see how the cat just ate and sleep all day.
Albertz
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is awesome, although it is a comic, the author makes it funny, I love when Garfield get chubby and shoot tennis balls, what is also funny is he also gets obese and cannot walk. It is a hilarious comic book and I like the author or illastsratour
Linda
Jun 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just finished the second Garfield book. I am making my way through them again. It has been a long time since I read the series so I decided to go through them again. That is the great thing about working at a library, most or all of the series is readily available!
Robert
Dec 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing
When I was in third grade this was the best. book. ever.

It still might be.

Garfield is a cat.

And he is fat.

Whoah . . . awesome.
Pingdi
Jun 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Garfield books are so hilarious. Be sure to read one! they're comics
Iggy Igwell
May 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: garfield
Garfield is a boy cat.
Juliana R.
Nov 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love Garfield. This is about one of 20 books I have.
Benjamin
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is so funny especially when Jon has a alarm clock in his pants!
Peter Cannon
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
5 stars not enough , amirite?
Glen
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comic-strip, humor
Collection of early Garfield strips. Garfield doesn't quite look like he does today, not does Jon. Lyman the roommate plays a pretty big part. He was the original owner of Odie, but has disappeared. This is the book that introduces Liz, the veterinarian,and currently Jon's girlfriend.
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
I don't ever remember laughing at Garfield. Reading it was like re-watching an episode of a sitcom you've already seen ten times and know all the plot threads and punchlines. There's a bland comfort to it and, for a stretch in early Middle School, bland comfort was preferable to none.

I consumed all the Garfield books in the Middle School library, idly wondering when something new would happen to shake up the Groundhog Day-esque loop in which they lived their lives, for a character to maybe grow
Dolly
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Garfield comics
I got hooked on Garfield books as a child. They were some of my favorite presents.

I reread them often and laughed like crazy at the antics of Jon Arbuckle, his crazy cat, and his friends and family. I got all of the books as soon as they were published until the tenth one and then I tired of it and moved on to something else.

April 2016 update: Our girls have really gotten into reading these books and love Garfield as much as I did back then. We really love to compare the illustrations and humo
HeavyReader
Dec 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I loved Garfield when I was in middle school. I had several of these collections, and I read them all again and again.

I'm giving three stars based on the way I felt about the book when I read it the first time (or should I say the first 10 to 15 times?). Now I can't imagine reading any one of these books one time.

I can barely believe how many of these collections exist.
Rachel
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read all of Jim Davis's Garfield books back in 4th grade where every week I would take out another Garfield cartoon book and just read it. I thought that they were funny and hilarious, and I absolutely loved reading them. Garfield is just so sarcastic and funny, and I love that it was in cartoon form.
To this day Garfield is still one of my favorites.
The Badger
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was addicted to these as a kid. I drove my parents insane following them around demanding, "Read this one!" I'm sure that my Dad regretted owning a bookstore. As an adult, I foster cats, and every foster kitten has a picture taken in a box labeled "to: Abu Dhabi." None of my two personal cats are obese, but one is especially adept at tossing chihuahuas off furniture using only one paw...
Goldbug2
Apr 16, 2015 rated it liked it
Sarah Nessler
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Garfield #2 still hilarious. Very quirky and light hearted humor. Not a lot of brain power used and sometimes good to read after or before reading something with a lot of girth to it. This comic can never get old!
Rants and Bants
Another good light bedtime read. The best part was when John dumped the girl that literally told him he had to choose between her and Garfield xD Anyone who tries to make someone choose between them and their cat, deserves nobody :D Well done, John.
bluetyson
isbn,original
Tommy
Oct 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is another comic strip book about a fat cat
Jessica
Nov 06, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Davis has created a great series with Garfield (do I dare admit that I still pick up my son's copies?).
« previous 1 3 next »

• Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Garfield: Search for Pooky
  • Garfield Vol. 9
  • Mr. Popularity (Big Nate)
  • Minecraft Diary: Path of Exile: (An unofficial Minecraft series)
  • Tales of an 8-Bit Kitten: A Call to Arms (Book 2): An Unofficial Minecraft Adventure
  • Garfield's Big Fat Hairy Adventure
  • Diary of an 8-Bit Warrior: Path of the Diamond (8-Bit Warrior, #4)
  • It's a Magical World (Calvin and Hobbes #11)
  • Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons (Calvin and Hobbes #7)
  • Garfield: Homecoming
  • Peanuts Vol. 1
  • There's Treasure Everywhere (Calvin and Hobbes #10)
  • Big Nate Blasts Off (Big Nate Novels, #8)
  • Big Nate: Thunka, Thunka, Thunka
  • The Odd 1s Out: The First Sequel
  • The Steadfast Tin Soldier
  • Enormously FoxTrot
James Robert "Jim" Davis is an American cartoonist who created the popular comic strip Garfield. Other comics that he has worked on are Tumbleweeds, Gnorm Gnat, Slapstick, and a strip about Mr. Potato Head.

Jim Davis was born in Fairmount, Indiana, near Marion, where he grew up on a small farm with his father James William Davis, mother Anna Catherine (Carter) Davis, brother Dave, and 25 cats. Davi

Garfield (1 - 10 of 70 books)
  • Garfield at Large: His First Book (Garfield, #1)
  • Garfield Bigger Than Life (Garfield, #3)
  • Garfield Weighs In (Garfield, #4)
  • Garfield Takes the Cake (Garfield, #5)
  • Garfield Eats His Heart Out (Garfield, #6)
  • Garfield Sits around the House (Garfield, #7)
  • Garfield Tips the Scales (Garfield, #8)
  • Garfield Loses His Feet (Garfield Classics #9)
  • Garfield Makes It Big (Garfield, #10)
  • Garfield Rolls On (Garfield Classics, #11)