Start by marking “Give Me a Break: How I Exposed Hucksters, Cheats, and Scam Artists and Became the Scourge of the Liberal Media...” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  1,372 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
Working as a correspondent for 20/20 and Good Morning America, John Stossel confronted dozens of scam artists: from hacks who worked out of their basements to some of America's most powerful executives and leading politicians. His efforts shut down countless crooks -- both famous and obscure. Then he realized what the real problem was.

In Give Me a Break, Stossel takes on t
Published January 25th 2005 by Harper Perennial (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Give Me a Break, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Give Me a Break

Mike (the Paladin)
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
This is another situation where a "thinking" person starts out buying the standard line...the standard way of thinking and sets out to participate in it. Mr. Stossel was a consumer reporter for some time. he recounts here his intro into journalism, broadcast journalism, move to ABC and move to 20/20. (Since this book he has moved from ABC to Fox Network).

After some years of exposing conmen/conpeople, debunking false product claims etc. he found himself becoming more and more aware that in spite
Johnrh
May 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Oh these libertine Libertarians. Will they never stop chanting for individual rights and self-responsibility? What does Stossel think this is, a free country?

His book Give Me a Break : How I Exposed Hucksters, Cheats, and Scam Artists and Became the Scourge of the Liberal Media... by John Stossel (Feb 1, 2005) seems to speculate that it could be, or at least should be, or maybe once was. This investigative reporter and former host of ABC's 20/20 TV program has spent decades delving into the skul
Shauna
Jul 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I liked this book because 1)I could relate to his observations about the news business, and 2) I'm more of a libertarian in my beliefs than conservative. He had great things to say about the free markets, our litigious society, the war on drugs, etc. I found his changing beliefs amusing, since like most TV news employees, he was staunchly left, but found himself moving towards the right. The difference is, he admitted it, and then people decided to dislike him. If you're exposing big bus ...more
Wakefield Tolbert
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Gimme a BREAK, baby doll!"

I don't usually have time for tapping out reviews of the kinds of books I enjoy, but this one had to be mentioned with something a little more substantive than a hearty "like" or thumbs-up. So, behold, my review of John Stossel's "Give Me a Break":

This is a thoroughly enjoyable book, in the PJ O'Rourke tradition that humor is the best medicine (the only at the moment!?) for the hilarious horrors and pitfalls of being, well, "governed".

H L Mencken once said democracy i
Drew Fridley
Jul 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I found myself agreeing with a lot of what he says because they are common sense. Much of it sounds good I'm heory but I'm not sure how it would turn out in practice. He makes me think in different ways at least. Nice thought experiments. I do not agree with all of his philosophy though. Saying that government loopholes are there and while he doesn't want to use them, but that he would be stupid not to, does not make him an inspirational person to me. I'm more of a "Be the change you want to see ...more
Michael
Aug 05, 2009 rated it liked it
This book is just like his 20/20 specials. Stossel's message is well-illustrated with lots of stories. He skewers those on the political left (e.g. Ralph Nader and Democrats) and sometimes the right as well (Donald Trump and big corporations). It's very much a libertarian take in favor of free markets and limited government, and I'm inclined to agree with many of his points. But I'd love to hear an articulate response from another viewpoint. In any case, even if you disagree with his arguments, ...more
Mike
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
My father-in-law gave me this book to read, and I thought it was pretty interesting. I like Stossel as a TV reporter, and I think he's got some pretty good takes in his book. It's an easy read, but I think he kind of gets hung up on a lot of the same pitfalls that has kept Libertarianism out of the mainstream. He kind of contradicts himself in ways. At one point he asserts that FDA regulations have stifled innovation and held up medicines that could have saved the lives of "fat people." Then, 50 ...more
John Bruni
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a very interesting book. While I don't agree with everything Stossel says, he definitely puts your beliefs through a hard workout. He even turned me around on a few things. What I find most interesting about him is that unlike other news correspondents who write books, he actually calls himself out on the times he was wrong or made a mistake. He knows he is fallible, and he's willing to change his beliefs if he's provided with evidence. That's a sign of a true thinker. A true skeptic. Th ...more
Darla
Dec 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Catching this one on audio in the car right now, and, boy, I am really coming to appreciate John Stossel. I'm on the chapter about the Nanny State right now- over regulation by the government strangling our choices & freedoms in the name of "consumer safety." Yah, thanks Big Brother... Great read!
------
Excellent book. Actually has me rethinking my positions on drug legalization & voluntary prostitution. He makes some pretty convincing arguments for both, though an error on one comment t
Aaron
Sep 29, 2008 rated it liked it
The book starts like a memoir -- Stossel recounts his early career as a consumer advocate on television and his slide into what he later comes to know as a classic liberal philosophy. But he quickly drops the biographical angle and devotes most of the book to the subjects he covered as a libertarian television reporter working the defacto liberal new york media environment. Not having to battle the network producers and lawyers gives him the opportunity to be a little freer with his words.

Still
Joy
Jan 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book about 6 years ago about a year after it first came out. I saw this in the library for sale section last week and picked it up for 50 cents remembering that it was a great book.

My parents were religious 20/20 watchers and my favorite part was always Stossel's "Give me a Break" section. This book chronicles how he went from a respected consumer reporter to a not well liked libertarian because he saw that government was wasting so much.

If you are jaded by today's liberal media or w
Kev Reilly
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Being John Stossel's first book, this read is half autobiographical & half debunking myths/facts (& shaming fraudsters).

I didn't know that Stossel was a stutterer (ok, at the time of writing this I'm a 27 year old who has only known of the man for a year) but one would assume the trait would have shown itself by now. Stossel is blunt in his honesty about his stuttering, his boss who he 'hated' to let him fix it & his mistakes on ABC's 20/20.

Another interesting part of the book is Sto
melydia
Jun 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick read. I enjoyed Stossel's conversational tone and his no-nonsense way of addressing the issues. And in general I agree that government needs to shrink, lawsuits need to be reduced, and there's no virtue in being a victim. His anecdotes were a mixture of humorous and maddening, as most stories of government stupidity are. Unfortunately, I don't see this book as convincing anyone with firmer beliefs than the most tenuous of fence-sitters. As a reporter, Stossel knows how to break d ...more
Justin Tapp
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: autobiography
tossel is great and unique. Check out his website. He is from the opposite economic spectrum from Krugman, readily quoting Milton Friedman and Frederick Von Hayek. His book is about journalism, and so many of the myths we believe in because of bad journalism and good lawyers. Here are some of Stossel's "truths": Large amounts of vitamin C don't help fight off any diseases, silicone breast implants never were harmful, there's no such thing as a "crack baby," and cutting your salt intake won't hel ...more
Norbert
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: political, sociology
Every politician should read the book. How so many people can have such a misconception on how government programs result in just the opposite of their intentions. How many people feel that rich people are always the bad guys, but who do you work for, a homeless person or a rich guy? Instead of blaming others maybe people should blame themselves. Why do people believe lies? Because it's what they want to hear. Maybe, just maybe, we should stop thinking like Liberals or Conservatives and start th ...more
Paul
Sep 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
First published in 2004, Give Me A Break... now seems a little dated. What isn't dated is Stossel's logical, rational, fact-based methodology for exposing the lies, damned lies and statistics that politicians and government bureaucrats use to brainwash us. He cites example and after example of how our freedoms continue to erode at the hands of idiots and morons. If you sense something has gone utterly wrong in the United States of America and you're looking to understand the whats and the whys, ...more
David Robins
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat a story about how John Stossel became a libertarian (but not an anarchist! no, never that!), and how the liberals that fawned over his consumer product reporting turned on him when he went after the state and special interests such as unions. Some good libertarian principles in the book, such as ownership of one's own body, but someone needs to tell him that if violence is bad, then it makes no sense to preserve any part of a violent state.
Kylie Towers
I listened to this on my way home for the holidays. It was entertaining and interesting. He appealed to my old school conservatism without alienating the liberalism I've come to embrace in the last 7 years. Lots of little "ah ha" and "ohhh..." moments that I wanted to remember to mention to other people, but of course forgot most of them the minute I finished the last cd. Not as good as Andy Rooney, but not too bad.
Melinda
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this very much. He has an easy reading style, and is plainly passionate about his subject. He gave a lot of interesting examples from his work as a reporter. I can see why some love him and some hate him. I disagree with a couple points, but mostly he makes sense: corporations need to have light shone on what they're doing, but government is no cure and frequently makes things worse.
Lynn
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
You will recognize John Stossel as a consumer advocate, now 20-20 lead anchor. He has turned Libertarian (wanting limited government). He explains how in every walk of life, when the gov't gets involved, all incentive to innovate and improve is gone. The country does better with unfettered capitalism. The free market could solve problems but people don't want to wait for that. Instead, we get bigger bureaucracy and higher government spending.
Emily
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book was passed to me by a friend who found it interesting.

I will admit a bias toward John Stossel and his libertarian ideas when I read this book. So of course I enjoyed it and agree with most of what he said. Some of the facts and figures are probably outdated, and obviously he doesn't still work for ABC (which this book mostly talks about his time with said network). However, his theories continue to make sense.
Chad Lamb
Great contribution from Stossel on what's wrong with our culture. He's a libertarian and sees much of the intrusion of the federal government as silly, unnecessary and sometimes dangerous. I particularly liked the discussion of private charities, who are raising money for various causes effectively on their own, and how the fed just shuts them down or butts them out for one reason or another. Scary stuff. I think this brings up great points every American should read.
Erik
Jan 07, 2009 rated it really liked it

My only complaint about this book is the title. Citing the "liberal" media in the title will only serve to alienate a number of people who might otherwise have read and enjoyed this book. This is not about liberal politics and/or media, but rather a discussion of the "flip side" of the stories we see on the news. Very enlightening, and written in a conversational manner that makes this a very quick read.
Dreepa
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book started as a history of how Stossel got his start and his early years as a consumer reporter and then how he saw the same fraud in public companies in the government. But when he exposed that he was then seen as a bad person. Funny actually.
I didn't really gain much political knowledge but do think that people who trust 'big government' to solve every problem should read this book to get an understanding where he comes from.
Kaydence
Aug 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Such a good book! Fact-based and interesting, this book really walks you through the pitfalls of government being in charge of pretty much everything. Every time the government is in charge they will answer to special interests, they will over- spend and they will make things worse. John Stossel's own conversion story is interesting and adds a bit of reality and common sense.
Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann
Sep 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone! Liberty & Non-Liberty Individuals
Recommended to Erich by: Ian "Freeman" Bernard
This book is full of hard hitting truths! Covers so many important aspects of the media, such as mainstream television news stations. This book is essential for the people that stay informed. John Stossel honesty as someone that finds the truth in news is heroic. I wish we had more people in news that are as principled as he is!
Nathaniel White
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thought-Provoking

This book is great, you just don't get to hear thoughts like this in the media very often. I disagree on moral grounds with his views about prostitution (sure, NFL players are paid for their bodies, too, but getting tackled doesn't quite run the same risk of someone catching chlamydia). Beyond that I found his dialectic to be refreshing and reasonable.
Michael Clutton
Jan 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who needs a dose of reality
If you love big government or if you're one of those liberals who think the guys at the top of these big companies are doing the best they can for the little guy... you'll hate this book.

On the other hand, if you believe in straight talk and the proof to back it up - prepare to have your eyebrows raised.
Lincoln
Feb 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
You can't believe some of the stuff there selling us and how they do it! I'm not sure I agree with everything Stossel has to say, particulary from a moral standpoint, but when you stop and think about it, I don't want my government legislating morality to the degree it does anyway. Some very interesting food for thought particulary if you like the idea of shrinking government.
Schu
Sep 29, 2007 rated it liked it
A meaningful read as I learned about 'the way things are' and how the system is constantly used and abused in the name of 'good'. This book will challenge what you believe is right and make you think about whether something like government should have the power it does today. It is neither liberal or conservative as a whole, but plenty provocative.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add/update details 3 14 Mar 13, 2016 07:47AM
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism
  • A Nation of Moochers: America's Addiction to Getting Something for Nothing
  • Bias: A CBS Insider Exposes How the Media Distort the News
  • What It Means to Be a Libertarian: A Personal Interpretation
  • Constitutional Chaos: What Happens When the Government Breaks Its Own Laws
  • Ted, White, and Blue: The Nugent Manifesto
  • The Market for Liberty
  • The New Thought Police: Inside the Left's Assault on Free Speech and Free Minds
  • The Secret Knowledge: On the Dismantling of American Culture
  • The Libertarian Reader: Classic and Contemporary Writings from Lao Tzu to Milton Friedman
  • The 10 Big Lies about America
  • The Forgotten Depression: 1921: The Crash That Cured Itself
  • Righteous Indignation: Excuse Me While I Save the World!
  • The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts about It
  • FDR's Folly: How Roosevelt and His New Deal Prolonged the Great Depression
  • The FairTax Book: Saying Goodbye to the Income Tax and the IRS
  • Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning
  • What's So Great About America
John Frank Stossel is an American consumer television personality, author, and libertarian pundit, known for his career on both ABC News and Fox Business Channel.

More about John Stossel...
“Natural gas is highly explosive, invisible, poisonous, and odorless. Yet we accept natural gas, even though it kills not two but 400 Americans a year, because it was introduced before we got crazy about risk. We accept coal, even though mining it is nasty and filthy and kills dozens of people every year. By contrast, we're terrified of nuclear energy. Chernobyl, the worst nuclear power disaster ever, killed only 30 people. Some say the radiation may eventually kill others, but even if that's true, natural gas kills more people every year.” 5 likes
“On September 11, it was government that failed. Law enforcement agencies didn't detect the plot. The FBI had reports that said young men on the terrorist watch list were going from flight school to flight school, trying to find an instructor who would teach them how to fly a commercial jet. But the FBI never acted on it. The INS let the hijackers in. Three of them had expired visas. Months after the attack, the government issued visas to two dead hijackers.
The solution to such government incompetence is to give the government more power?
Congress could have done what Amsterdam, Belfast, Brussels, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, Hamburg, London, Paris, and Rome did: set tough standards and let private companies compete to meet them. Many of those cities switched to private companies because they realized government-run security wasn't working very well. Private-sector competition keeps the screeners alert because the airport can fire them. No one can fire the government; that's a reason government agencies gradually deteriorate. There's no competition.”
2 likes