Start by marking “The Distance Between Us” as Want to Read:
The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between Us

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  32,117 ratings  ·  3,671 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to fi
Published July 2nd 2013 by Harper Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Distance Between Us, please sign up.

Addison Brighton @Quaylynn Madden
I honestly don't think there needs to be sequel to understand this book.
What happens to the doll store?---
Susan now has her parents…more
@Quaylynn Madden
I honestly don't think there needs to be sequel to understand this book.
What happens to the doll store?---
Susan now has her parents back,so she doesn't need to live by her own.She'll now live with her parents.
Does Caymen's mother and Xander form a relationship?--
Yeah. Cause in the hospital Susan said to Caymen that she has an apology to make to Xander.
Does Caymen and her grandparents form a relationship?--
Yes,I'm sure they will.Because when Susan was in the hospital they were living with Caymen,which means Caymen has forgiven them and her grandparents told how sweet she was so I don't think there's a chance that they wont.
What does Caymen decide to do for her life?--
She'll go to UNLV, or maybe some other college (but probably UNLV) and do major in science (CRIME INVESTIGATION).And live with her grandparents and be the girlfriend of Xander Spence.
Does Xander take after his father?--
Yeah,Cause Xander's really good in many fields so he'll take over his family business (i.e.The Road's End Hotel).
Does Caymen meet her dad?--
No,she won't.Because now that she has her mom,her grandparents and Xander ,she wouldn't do it.
Will Susan live?--
Yeah,she will.The Doctor said it was a treatable condition,so yeah,she will live.
I hope this answered all your questions.! :)(less)
Allison yes it is i read it and i am 12 it has nothing bad in it …moreyes it is i read it and i am 12 it has nothing bad in it (less)
Dare You To by Katie McGarryThis is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. SmithJust One Day by Gayle FormanEleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellThe Moon and More by Sarah Dessen
2013 Contemporary YA
7th out of 244 books — 1,486 voters
The Distance Between Us by Kasie WestCamp Boyfriend by J.K. RockAwaken by Meg CabotIndelible by Dawn MetcalfOf Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay
YA Books - Publishing July 2013
1st out of 71 books — 109 voters

More lists with this book...

"That's All" Ash
 photo images-2.jpg

You hear that?

That’s the sound of my writing down this author’s name.

--So that I can avoid all of her books in the future.--

photo 2zxv1o2.gif

You’re witty, Kasie West. I’ll give you that.

It’s too bad you don’t know how to write a book, though, isn’t it?

Because if you did know how to write a book… you would know that the romance in said book shouldn’t be mediocre. And that the storyline shouldn’t be half-assed.

So you either don’t know how to write a book…

Or you suck at it.

I’ll let you choose.

photo tumblr_lrkzmpYEyf1qh2o7zo1_500.gif
Steph Sinclair

Actual rating: 4.5

That's it. Kasie West is now one of my new favorite authors. After being completely swept off my feet by Pivot Point, West has once again warmed my heart with so many cute moments. She continuously manages to create down to earth, relatable characters and all-around fun books.

The Distance Between Us follows Caymen Meyers, a girl who has certain opinions about rich people thanks to her mother's clear disdain. Her mom has raised her to think very negatively about the Haves verses
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
May 05, 2015 Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Shelby *wants some flying monkeys* by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
If you go into a normal young adult romance book you expect this:

This book is not that. It's more of this:

The main character of this book is actually very like-able. Caymen is snarky and outspoken. Even when cute boys are involved. *gasp*
She is helping her mom out in her mom's doll shop.'s more like this:

She works all the hours she can spare for her mom and plans on putting off college for awhile because she wants to make sure her mom will be okay.
She doesn't party. She does not fal
I absolutely loved this. To the point where I stayed up until past 4 am to finish this. Yes, I loved this THAT much. And you will too (hopefully).

This is perfect considering this is EXACTLY what happened to me.

I tried so hard to write a coherent review. But after lots of deleted drafts, I'll just leave you with a list:

- Caymen is exceptionally good at sarcasm. Total girl-crush.

- Xander is a wonderful love interest. His banter with Caymen is oh-so cute. Xander is cute.

- The characters (Caymen esp
Professional Reporter : This book review was recorded for by myself at the request of Litchick. I survived the ordeal…

PR: Thank you very much for allowing me to…what the hell are you wearing?

LC: I came in costume.

PR: Dressed as what? It looks like the 70s threw up on you.

LC: Elton John.

PR: You came to an interview for a book review that you requested dressed as-. You know what, why don’t we just get this over with?

LC: *hums the opening bars to Rocket Man*

PR: What made you want t
Jaime Arkin
Pretty in Pink meets Pride and Prejudice. That's the best explanation of this book I've seen so far.

Kasie West has done it again... I thought I was a fan of her writing after I read Pivot Point. After reading The Distance Between Us... I may have escalated to fangirl.

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-4736-1360291424-7_zps31c6f0c2.gif

This book made me all kinds of happy. First reason... that cover. I love love it.

Caymen Meyers lives with her single mother and learned early on that the rich are very different than her. Working the register at her mother's dol
Aj the Ravenous Reader

[In deep, scary male voice]

A DEAD BODY being prepped for funeral

*This is only a mock-up of a dead body as it would be too harsh to post an image of a real one*

[coughs back to normal female voice]

Despite the odd morbid elements as mentioned in the intro, (view spoiler) I know now I can rely on Kasie West for fluffy, l
The verdict: 3.75 stars.

Because I remain professional at all times, I should say that I'm docking a quarter star because I struggled a bit with the beginning and an entire star because I had a whole set of problems with the end. However, the official reason is and will always be:

Eeeerrrhh ... It's just ... I can't ... HUH?!

I'm legitimately concerned about this. There's a reason it's called "warme chocolademelk" (hot chocolate milk) in Dutch. As a virtual ambassador for the land of chocolate, I f
*4.25 STARS!*

Ahhh, this is SO CUTE!
I already read The Fill-In Boyfriend before and I thought that that was going to be my favorite Kasie West book, but boy was I wrong because I clearly hadn't read this one yet!
I'm such a sucker for cute romance novels these days! The type where you don't have to think too hard, just the sit-back-and-enjoy-the-ride kind of stories. This one is a perfect example! It might be a bit predictable but it's just so adorable mixed with just the right amount of humor, I
My good bud Flannery told me about this book. About how funny and cute and cool it was. It's a contemporary YA so it practically preordered itself for me.

I started it the day my postie left it in my mail box. I finished it that same night, well, 4am in the morning (reading into the squeaky hours of the night is one of my absolute favourite activities, but only the best* books can take me there).

The Distance Between Us is so much what I love about YA. It's smiley and fun and funny and has this ri
Lyanna (I need a Herondale in life)
Caymen: Sarcastic
Xander: Gullible

Caymen + Xander: FUCKIN ADORABLE

"Your name. Caymen. Like Caymen Islands. Is that your mom's favourite place to visit or something?"
"No, it's her third favourite place. I have an older brother named Paris and an older sister named Sydney."
"Wow." He opens the bag, takes out a muffin, and hands it to me. The top glistens with sprinkled sugar. "Really?"

Right off the bat, I already shipped them so hard.

"How come the dog isn't named?" He reads aloud the title on
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
 photo omg_zpsrv9ygqtg.gif

Oh my dear, dear Kasie West...Where have you been all my life?? Well, in all fairness, it's my fault I've never picked up a masterpiece that is a KW novel. My friend, Anna, has been more than clear about how I would love this author, if only for her adorable, yes, absolutely adorable male leads. And, ya know, she was right-as usual. Damn know it all Alien. Anyway, I digress. My whole point is that when I was down and tired and couldn't hardly read this weekend, what did I do? I listened to some
The Girl. HAS Sarcasm down to an art. As is, said fact was enough to have me more than like the girl. There’s more though like her being loyal and an all around good girl though not too goody-goody to have her seeming stick in the mud.

The Guy. IS the definition of cool. And smooth. What with the perceived beckoning and all, yes? (Have I mentioned smooth?)

Between them. IS gap made wider then wider still by a number of things like (a) mothers and their secrets, (b) these kids and their assumption
Alienor ✘ French frowner ✘
Tired after a full-day work? Fighting the flu or whatever annoying winter disease? Feel like your attention span is no more than several minutes? Your reading time is shrinking away to nothing? Need to read a fluffy light book that won't ask you too much focus?

I've got what you need.

"Is that your subtle way of saying you missed me last week?"
"I've missed hot chocolate. I just think of you as the guy who brings it to me. Sometimes I forget your name and call you hot chocolate guy."

"Sean rai

AWWWWW. That was so cute, and I got so many feels towards the end.

Originally posted at Writer of Wrongs

The cover: SO PRETTY and romantic and lensflarey and I want her dress and her shoes. Plus excellent font choice.

The story: I was SO HAPPY when I won a copy of this from the author, for two reasons. 1) I loved West's first book, Pivot Point (which, um, I will TOTALLY write a review for one of these days). And 2) the blurb describes it as Pretty in Pink meets Prid
Kate ❣

This book was amazing, I can't believe how quickly I devoured it! If you thought you liked 'On the fence' by Kasie West, then you are going to absolutely love this one!

The characters in this novel are what sells you before anything else. Caymen Meyers is our protagonist, the sarcastic, humorous, and freakishly relatable 17 year old that I just loved! I completely fell into the world/mind of Caymen from the very first sentence.

Our love interes
What a pleasant surprise!! I finished this book in one short sitting. There was so much that kept me hooked on this novel, but I have to say how much I absolutely loved the dialog between the characters! Great YA Contemporary novel that introduced me to an author I’ll be sure to read more of.

In The Distance Between Us, Caymen Meyer is no stranger to living within limited means. She is finishing our her senior year in high school and has a work release, so she can head over to her mother’s doll s
I've been itching to try a Kasie West novel ever since her debut - and successive sophomore novel - took the blogging world by surprise. I have a wide variety of friends in the blogosphere, all with different tastes, but if there's one thing they agreed upon, it was that this book was good.

Um, not so much for me.

I really enjoyed West's prose, so I have a feeling I'll be back for more, and this novel just flew by so quickly and was practically impossible to let go of, but ultimately I wasn't char
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
I LOVED the banter...
And Xander was really cute, but then again, this is Kasie West...
Uumm...I also loved...
Wait a sec, I'm trying to think!...
Cayman was kinda cool?...Oh!! I also liked...
Well, not that...
or that...
Definitely didn't like THAT...
or that >____>
Yup, that's it..
The End <3

P.S. Yeah...sorry about that, I just really didn't want to write a review depicting a mile long list of cons.
Toodles my darlings <3
Carito García
• "Los sentimientos pueden ser lo más costoso del universo". •

"The Distance Between Us" es el segundo libro de Kasie West que leo y que amé por completo. Caymen es una adolescente que trabaja en la tienda de muñecas de porcelana de su mamá (bastante espeluznante, por cierto) y pasa sus días detrás del mostrador, resignada a sacrificar su futuro para salvar la tienda. Su clientela consiste, principalmente, de señoras mayores y de gente adinerada. Por eso mismo, el día que Xander Spencer entra en
Well, I seem to be on a cute book streak. I didn't realise how much I needed the lightness and sweetness that comes with contemporaries until I started reading The Distance Between Us last night.

I loved Xander and Caymen and the fact that Caymen is so sarcastic is brilliant. Every time she pulled out one of her sarcastic comebacks, all I could think was: "Dear God, is that ME?!" It was awesome.

Full review to come!

I love you, Kasie West. I can't believe I like your first two novels so much I want to carry them around with me to squeal over at random moments. And this might be the cutest summer YA I've picked up so far. May I have a Xander? Please? With once-sipped hot chocolate on top and a non-creepy doll to go with?
Giselle at Book Nerd Canada
One of the cutest couples ever! Loved it!

Review TK
“Is that your subtle way of saying you missed me last week?"
"I've missed my hot chocolate. I just think of you as the guy who brings it to me. Sometimes I forget your name and call you hot chocolate guy.”

So. Bloody. Cute.

Ok, guys, if you know me than you probably (you must really) know that I'm not a fan of contemporaries. They are too cheesy for my icy little heart, almost always, but this time...well, I knew Kasie West from her paranormal duology and because of that I decided to give her conte
Kathe L
(I hate my computer. My review was almost done when it closed the window and I lost everything. Ugh.)

Caymen is our female main character.
Xander is the male.

"He lets go of my hands. I drop mine by my sides but then surprise myself by giving him a hug. He hugs me back, and I linger there longer than I should. Why can't I just walk away from Xander Space and not look back?"

Will you guys hate me if I just post quotes and quotes about this book and finish the review?. I'm kidding, I'm kidding. So, I
Ash Wednesday
Jul 24, 2013 Ash Wednesday rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA-CR readers with an appreciation for smart dialogue and wants relief from the drama
actual rating: 3.5 STARS

I'm not a big fan of the rich hero-poor heroine dynamic because it sounds so... Victorian Era and I think that took a big chunk out of my enjoyment of this book. But what DID set this apart was the weird little details in the characters, particularly with Caymen, the heroine. Who works (and lives) in a store selling porcelain life-like dolls.

With names.

I don't know, porcelain doll stores are creepy on their own but it's also a place inviting all the wrong kinds of con

Is it weird that I sorta want to be the third wheel in Caymen and Xander's relationship so I could get first glimpse of their cuteness and sarcastic remarks shared together while standing next to them flailing my arms? Nah.

This such a perfect book to read on a day you feel like shit. It's medicine for our hearts and souls.

I loved how light and laugh-out-loud this novel was. I loved how the characters have defining and realistic personalities. Caymen is such an epic person and I just really rea
Grace (LovingDemBooks)
Watch my full video review on my booktube channel:

I'm giving this book a 3 of 5 stars. That's relatvively average for me. I don't give anything above a 4 star rating, and that's when a book is absolutely AMAZING. I didn't think this was phenomenal, but it was cute and cheesy.

Let me first address the cover. The cover has nothing to do with the story at all. Caymen the main character NEVER wears a pink dress... She wears a black one. The title is also very m
It was such a cute read. :) I loved Caymens sarcastic humor.
I like how it ended but I kinda want an epilogue.
Cait Grace
This book is so entirely STUFFED with sarcasm. I feel connected on a spiritual level. I do. It's like this book is mine. I am Caymen. Minus, you know, the creepy doll shop and the freakishly sweet boyfriend. BUT I GOT THE SARCASM DOWN PAT. Go me. Anyway. We really need to talk about this book. For starters: I loved it. I don't even usually like fluffy contemporaries, but I loved this one a lot. It really ought to be 5-stars, I KNOW it does...but that ending? It was disappointing on so so many le ...more
Square In Wonderl...: * The Distance Between Us General 16 14 Sep 24, 2015 07:37AM
Square In Wonderl...: Distance Ch. 31-41 9 10 Aug 27, 2015 04:55PM
Mason or Xander? 24 271 Jun 14, 2015 07:31PM
  • How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True
  • Golden
  • The Reece Malcolm List
  • Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend (Confessions, #2)
  • Dirty Little Secret
  • Right of Way
  • The Summer I Became a Nerd
  • The Book of Broken Hearts
  • The Rules for Disappearing (The Rules for Disappearing, #1)
  • Prep School Confidential (Prep School Confidential, #1)
  • How My Summer Went Up in Flames
  • Where the Stars Still Shine
  • When You Were Here
  • The Trouble with Flirting
  • Racing Savannah
  • Burning
  • Nantucket Blue (Nantucket, #1)
  • Thousand Words
I write YA. I eat Junior Mints. Sometimes I go crazy and do both at the same time. My novels, published through Harper Teen are: PIVOT POINT and its sequel SPLIT SECOND. And my contemporary novels: THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, ON THE FENCE, and THE FILL-IN BOYFRIEND. My agent is the talented and funny Michelle Wolfson.
More about Kasie West...
On the Fence Pivot Point (Pivot Point, #1) The Fill-In Boyfriend Split Second (Pivot Point, #2) P.S. I Like You

“Is that your subtle way of saying you missed me last week?"

“You look terrified. Does this scare you?”
“More than anything.”
“Because I didn’t bring my mints.”
“And now the real answer . . .”
“Because I’m afraid that once you catch me, the game’s over.”