Start by marking “The Distance Between Us” as Want to Read:
The Distance Between Us

The Distance Between Us

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  56,168 ratings  ·  6,600 reviews
Seventeen-year-old Caymen Meyers studies the rich like her own personal science experiment, and after years of observation she’s pretty sure they’re only good for one thing—spending money on useless stuff, like the porcelain dolls in her mother’s shop.

So when Xander Spence walks into the store to pick up a doll for his grandmother, it only takes one glance for Caymen to fi
Published July 2nd 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Distance Between Us, please sign up.
Zainab @Quaylynn Madden
I honestly don't think there needs to be sequel to understand this book.
What happens to the doll store?---
Susan now has her parents…more
@Quaylynn Madden
I honestly don't think there needs to be sequel to understand this book.
What happens to the doll store?---
Susan now has her parents back,so she doesn't need to live by her own.She'll now live with her parents.
Does Caymen's mother and Xander form a relationship?--
Yeah. Cause in the hospital Susan said to Caymen that she has an apology to make to Xander.
Does Caymen and her grandparents form a relationship?--
Yes,I'm sure they will.Because when Susan was in the hospital they were living with Caymen,which means Caymen has forgiven them and her grandparents told how sweet she was so I don't think there's a chance that they wont.
What does Caymen decide to do for her life?--
She'll go to UNLV, or maybe some other college (but probably UNLV) and do major in science (CRIME INVESTIGATION).And live with her grandparents and be the girlfriend of Xander Spence.
Does Xander take after his father?--
Yeah,Cause Xander's really good in many fields so he'll take over his family business (i.e.The Road's End Hotel).
Does Caymen meet her dad?--
No,she won't.Because now that she has her mom,her grandparents and Xander ,she wouldn't do it.
Will Susan live?--
Yeah,she will.The Doctor said it was a treatable condition,so yeah,she will live.
I hope this answered all your questions.! :)(less)
Maddie I noticed that Skye was in On the Fence and it showed Caymen and Xander in that book too because it said Charlie's brother said her eyes are so…moreI noticed that Skye was in On the Fence and it showed Caymen and Xander in that book too because it said Charlie's brother said her eyes are so beautiful or something like that because her eyes have a tiny little splash of green in it. How do I know? I read it in the book The distance between us and... I would explain how it had Xander in it but I am too tired to type it and if you haven't read the book On the Fence yet I don't want to spoil that part soo... hopefully you enjoy On the Fence book if you are getting ready to read it! (less)

·  56,168 ratings  ·  6,600 reviews

Lola

I definitely need a bit of self-berating right now.

I put off reading this book for so long and that because I was certain it would fall into my heap of a pile of ever-growing clichéd love stories read.

But it didn’t! Well… it didn’t fall that far from said pile, but what counts is where it landed in the end and that is in my ‘‘guilty pleasure’’ pile.

That’s right, Kasie West is one hell of a guilty pleasure writer for me.

Truth be told, the skeleton of her novels is always a little overuse
"That's All" Ash
 photo images-2.jpg

You hear that?

That’s the sound of my writing down this author’s name.

--♦So that I can avoid all of her books in the future.♦--

photo 2zxv1o2.gif

You’re witty, Kasie West. I’ll give you that.

It’s too bad you don’t know how to write a book, though, isn’t it?

Because if you did know how to write a book… you would know that the romance in said book shouldn’t be mediocre. And that the storyline shouldn’t be half-assed.

So you either don’t know how to write a book…

Or you suck at it.

I’ll let you choose.

photo tumblr_lrkzmpYEyf1qh2o7zo1_500.gif
Steph Sinclair
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who love sarcasm and cute romances

Actual rating: 4.5

That's it. Kasie West is now one of my new favorite authors. After being completely swept off my feet by Pivot Point, West has once again warmed my heart with so many cute moments. She continuously manages to create down to earth, relatable characters and all-around fun books.

The Distance Between Us follows Caymen Meyers, a girl who has certain opinions about rich people thanks to her mother's clear disdain. Her mom has raised her to think very negatively about the Haves verses
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Shelby *trains flying monkeys* by: Aj the Ravenous Reader
If you go into a normal young adult romance book you expect this:

This book is not that. It's more of this:

The main character of this book is actually very like-able. Caymen is snarky and outspoken. Even when cute boys are involved. *gasp*
She is helping her mom out in her mom's doll shop.

Umm..it's more like this:

She works all the hours she can spare for her mom and plans on putting off college for awhile because she wants to make sure her mom will be okay.
She doesn't party. She does not fal
Angela
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE.
I absolutely loved this. To the point where I stayed up until past 4 am to finish this. Yes, I loved this THAT much. And you will too (hopefully).

This is perfect considering this is EXACTLY what happened to me.

I tried so hard to write a coherent review. But after lots of deleted drafts, I'll just leave you with a list:

- Caymen is exceptionally good at sarcasm. Total girl-crush.

- Xander is a wonderful love interest. His banter with Caymen is oh-so cute. Xander is cute.

- The characters (Caymen esp
Pearl Angeli
"Feelings can be the most costly thing in the universe."

The cover and the premise of this book somewhat deceived me. Ha! Yes, it was cute and adorable. Funny, even. But that's not just about it. My expectations were different.

Caymen Meyers is a teenage girl who works for her mom's doll store. One day a rich and cute guy named Xander Spence comes over to their store to buy a doll for her grandma. Because he obviously has the air of wealth, Caymen sees him as just another one of those spoiled
Navessa
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Navessa by: Komal
Professional Reporter : This book review was recorded for Goodreads.com by myself at the request of Litchick. I survived the ordeal…

PR: Thank you very much for allowing me to…what the hell are you wearing?

LC: I came in costume.

PR: Dressed as what? It looks like the 70s threw up on you.

LC: Elton John.

PR: You came to an interview for a book review that you requested dressed as-. You know what, why don’t we just get this over with?

LC: *hums the opening bars to Rocket Man*

PR: What made you want t
Aj the Ravenous Reader
REREAD

I enjoyed it even more the second time around. The things that bothered me the first time I read it were no longer an issue to me. Xander has become more adorable and pleasing in my eyes while Caymen’s sarcasm is clearly topnotch. I have completely forgotten about Mason though. I couldn’t even remember that there was another guy and a potential love interest at that in the story. The beckoning gesture, I still vividly remember though. Lol! This is why rereading is the best. So I guess my o
Jaime Arkin
Pretty in Pink meets Pride and Prejudice. That's the best explanation of this book I've seen so far.

Kasie West has done it again... I thought I was a fan of her writing after I read Pivot Point. After reading The Distance Between Us... I may have escalated to fangirl.

photo anigif_enhanced-buzz-4736-1360291424-7_zps31c6f0c2.gif

This book made me all kinds of happy. First reason... that cover. I love love it.

Caymen Meyers lives with her single mother and learned early on that the rich are very different than her. Working the register at her mother's dol
Frankie Lovely
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it

I just want to give a warning that .. this review was written after consuming copious amounts of Jack Daniels … so I apologize in advance if it make NO SENSE!

This book was not the most horrific thing I have ever read … so there is that. I honestly enjoyed it … to an extent. But it was not without it’s problems.

This was my second attempt at a Kasie West book and I have to say … I was mildly disappointed yet again. On the one hand, I enjoyed this book a lot more than I enjoyed By Your Si
emma
Jul 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
This book is just straight-up really bad.

Like, you know how there are sometimes movies that are just objectively not good? I’m talking zero-percent on Rotten Tomatoes/has become a cult classic for how bad it is levels of awful.

It is fun to watch that type of movie and be like wow, look how bad this is! But there’s not really an equivalent to that phenomenon in books.

This little number comes pretty close to that. Except it doesn’t always land the “fun” part. But it is very very very bad and also
Muse-ic ♬
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MY GAWD!!!!!

Guess who's my new book boyfriend!
Guess!!!
I bet you can't guess correctly.
IT'S RO
Maureen
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's so predictable and so convenient but also so adorable and so addicting and just amazing?
I loved it so much!!! Xander is bae!!!!! Also so respectful!!!!
I love everything. I HAD to read this book in one day. HAD TO.
C.G. Drews
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is so entirely STUFFED with sarcasm. I feel connected on a spiritual level. I do. It's like this book is mine. I am Caymen. Minus, you know, the creepy doll shop and the freakishly sweet boyfriend. BUT I GOT THE SARCASM DOWN PAT. Go me. Anyway. We really need to talk about this book. For starters: I loved it. I don't even usually like fluffy contemporaries, but I loved this one a lot. It really ought to be 5-stars, I KNOW it does...but that ending? It was disappointing on so so many le ...more
Nick
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
3 stars

This is a book I never thought I would read in my life, because it is totally out of my genre.

Recently, I have been a part of a real life book club( yes, I have a real life), and it has been awesome so far. For this month they chose this fluffy book The Distance Between Us and I am not sure why. (Probably because they were pretty exhausted of reading my suggestions for the last 2 months which were Poe's collections).

Okay so I liked the book to an extent. From my experience of romance book
Marnie
Nov 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Everyone, it's official. I am in love with Kasie West's writing.

This is probably one of the cutest contemporary books I've read all year. Okay, I didn't love it as much as I loved The Fill-In Boyfriend, but that doesn't stop it from being up there!

The story revolves around a girl named Caymen. Caymen doesn't exactly come from the richest of families, so she does all that she can to help her mother out, which includes working...at a doll store. Let's just say, this isn't Caymen's passion in life
Ashwood (애쉬 우드).
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
“Feelings can be the most costly thing in the universe.”

This was an amazingly short, cute and absolutely awesomely sarcastic story. Really enjoyed reading this one. Literally took me less than 6hours to finish the book.

Loved the writing style, characters, plot, and the ending (the ending was my favorite part).

Caymen, she was priceless, absolutely loved her wit and personality.
Xander, I was really really drawn to him from the get go, he was unique and like a breath of fresh air honestly.
Skye
Ellis
The verdict: 3.75 stars.

Because I remain professional at all times, I should say that I'm docking a quarter star because I struggled a bit with the beginning and an entire star because I had a whole set of problems with the end. However, the official reason is and will always be:

Eeeerrrhh ... It's just ... I can't ... HUH?!

I'm legitimately concerned about this. There's a reason it's called "warme chocolademelk" (hot chocolate milk) in Dutch. As a virtual ambassador for the land of chocolate, I f
Anja H.
Jun 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
*4.25 STARS!*

Ahhh, this is SO CUTE!
I already read The Fill-In Boyfriend before and I thought that that was going to be my favorite Kasie West book, but boy was I wrong because I clearly hadn't read this one yet!
I'm such a sucker for cute romance novels these days! The type where you don't have to think too hard, just the sit-back-and-enjoy-the-ride kind of stories. This one is a perfect example! It might be a bit predictable but it's just so adorable mixed with just the right amount of humor, I
Ramona
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is my first Kasie West book, but sincerely, it wasn't for me at all...
I won't lose your time very much, because I don't have a lot to say.. read the book and see it for yourself.

Caymen is your average girl next door, living with her mother in an apartment right on top of their doll shop. Yes, she sells dolls, but deep inside she is not satisfied with this life, wanting to do other things, but right in this moment, she doesn't have a certain answer to her future. She chooses the save way mom
Jiana
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Buddy read with Maymay, who also recommended this!

3.5

This buddy read was pretty much a spontaneous one. I was having a crisis over my slump which has been going on for a week and a half now and then May recommended I try out this one and she reread it with me! Having read PS I Like You earlier this year, I had high hopes a Kasie West book would fix my slump. I think it did!

The Distance Between Us is not as
Lyanna (I need a Herondale in life)
Caymen: Sarcastic
Xander: Gullible

Caymen + Xander: FUCKIN ADORABLE

"Your name. Caymen. Like Caymen Islands. Is that your mom's favourite place to visit or something?"
"No, it's her third favourite place. I have an older brother named Paris and an older sister named Sydney."
"Wow." He opens the bag, takes out a muffin, and hands it to me. The top glistens with sprinkled sugar. "Really?"
"No."

Right off the bat, I already shipped them so hard.

"How come the dog isn't named?" He reads aloud the title on
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤
 photo omg_zpsrv9ygqtg.gif

Oh my dear, dear Kasie West...Where have you been all my life?? Well, in all fairness, it's my fault I've never picked up a masterpiece that is a KW novel. My friend, Anna, has been more than clear about how I would love this author, if only for her adorable, yes, absolutely adorable male leads. And, ya know, she was right-as usual. Damn know it all Alien. Anyway, I digress. My whole point is that when I was down and tired and couldn't hardly read this weekend, what did I do? I listened to some
Nomes
My good bud Flannery told me about this book. About how funny and cute and cool it was. It's a contemporary YA so it practically preordered itself for me.

I started it the day my postie left it in my mail box. I finished it that same night, well, 4am in the morning (reading into the squeaky hours of the night is one of my absolute favourite activities, but only the best* books can take me there).

The Distance Between Us is so much what I love about YA. It's smiley and fun and funny and has this ri
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘
Tired after a full-day work? Fighting the flu or whatever annoying winter disease? Feel like your attention span is no more than several minutes? Your reading time is shrinking away to nothing? Need to read a fluffy light book that won't ask you too much focus?

I've got what you need.

"Is that your subtle way of saying you missed me last week?"
"I've missed hot chocolate. I just think of you as the guy who brings it to me. Sometimes I forget your name and call you hot chocolate guy."

"Sean rai
Simona Bartolotta
Never were the words "quick" and "feel-good" more deserved. I needed just that.

“Is that your subtle way of saying you missed me last week?”
“I've missed my hot chocolate. I just think of you as the guy who brings it to me. Sometimes I forget your name and call you hot chocolate guy.”

Ten points for Caymen's sarcasm, because let's be honest, that accounts for 80% of the reason why this book is worth reading.

The Distance Between Us is, unsurprisingly, a little naive and a little simplistic, a litt
Kyla Harris
plot - 12/20
characters - 14/20
creativity - 16/20
writing - 16/20
pace - 7/10
ending - 8/10
= 73/100 C-

Okay first this book wasn't all that bad. It was unexpected especially those last few chapters but everything else was a bit confusing and not connected very well. It seemed like they were each separate events being played instead of them each being woven together in a story :/

This book is a crazy quick read for me and I'm sure it would be for anyone. I read it in on sitting! It is a great summer re
Isamlq
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Girl. HAS Sarcasm down to an art. As is, said fact was enough to have me more than like the girl. There’s more though like her being loyal and an all around good girl though not too goody-goody to have her seeming stick in the mud.

The Guy. IS the definition of cool. And smooth. What with the perceived beckoning and all, yes? (Have I mentioned smooth?)

Between them. IS gap made wider then wider still by a number of things like (a) mothers and their secrets, (b) these kids and their assumption
Rachel Maniacup
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Rachel by: The Girl In Boots
This is my 3rd book of Kasie West,and I think she is now,one of my favorite authors,because I do enjoy her writing style and I want to thank my buddy,NEIL for introducing this author to me!^^

This book is such an easy,very relaxing read! The story though is a bit predictable,but it was interesting because I enjoyed the main characters (Caymen and Xander) development. I loved the witty,sarcastic humor of Caymen,and the way she interacts with people cracks me up all the time.Xander,the charming ric
prag ♻
Nov 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to prag ♻ by: Crisanda (Sapphire)
*please ignore sentences that don't make sense and spelling errors I was high on xander when I wrote this and have already edited twice don't have more energy

Before I begin, I’d like to have a moment of silence for Xander’s smile (the one I’m never waking up to in this lifetime) because from what I’ve heard, it’s pretty darn good.

I mean, there’s this:

He throws me his smile. I swear the thing could end wars.

and this:

He smiles. I love his smile. I don’t want to talk about my mom. I want to talk ab
Contemporary YA: The Distance Between Us 1 9 Nov 01, 2016 10:41AM
Čteme anglicky: This topic has been closed to new comments. Společné čtení - Distance between us 3 28 Aug 03, 2016 12:24PM
Square In Wonderl...: The Distance Between Us General 16 21 Sep 24, 2015 07:37AM
Square In Wonderl...: Distance Ch. 31-41 9 14 Aug 27, 2015 04:55PM
  • How My Summer Went Up in Flames
  • Confessions of an Almost-Girlfriend (Confessions, #2)
  • How Zoe Made Her Dreams (Mostly) Come True
  • The Trouble with Flirting
  • The Book of Broken Hearts
  • Dirty Little Secret
  • Golden
  • Going Vintage
  • Things I Can't Forget
  • Where the Stars Still Shine
  • Nantucket Blue (Nantucket, #1)
  • An Endless Summer (Summer, #2)
  • The Summer I Became a Nerd (Nerd, #1)
  • When You Were Here
  • Thousand Words
  • Right of Way
  • Letters to Nowhere (Letters to Nowhere, #1)
  • Out of Play
I write YA. I eat Junior Mints. Sometimes I go crazy and do both at the same time. My novels are: PIVOT POINT and its sequel SPLIT SECOND. And my contemporary novels: THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, ON THE FENCE, THE FILL-IN BOYFRIEND, PS I LIKE YOU, and BY YOUR SIDE. My agent is the talented and funny Michelle Wolfson.
“Is that your subtle way of saying you missed me last week?"

"I've missed my hot chocolate. I just think of you as the guy who brings it to me. Sometimes I forget your name and call you hot chocolate guy.”
433 likes
“His eyes are so intense I want to look away . . . or never look away, I can’t decide.” 268 likes