Start by marking “Der Herr der Ringe. Die Gefährten” as Want to Read:
Der Herr der Ringe. Die Gefährten

Der Herr der Ringe. Die Gefährten (The Lord of the Rings #1)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  1,937,132 Ratings  ·  16,492 Reviews
Der Schauplatz des Herrn der Ringe ist Mittelerde, eine alternative Welt, und erzählt wird von der gefahrvollen Quest einiger Gefährten, die in einem dramatischen Kampf gegen das Böse endet.

Durch einen merkwürdigen Zufall fällt dem Hobbit Bilbo Beutlin ein Zauberring zu, dessen Kraft, käme er in die falschen Hände, zu einer absoluten Herrschaft des Bösen führen würde. Bilb
Paperback, German edition, 400 pages
Published 2000 by French & European Pubns (first published July 29th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Der Herr der Ringe. Die Gefährten, please sign up.

Gerry Bevers I think the problem, Jim, is that you are trying to burn through the pages in search of excitement and answers. Slow down and enjoy the journey.…moreI think the problem, Jim, is that you are trying to burn through the pages in search of excitement and answers. Slow down and enjoy the journey. Imagine yourself hiking through the Old Forest, remembering the old stories you had heard about it, and wondering who or what made the trail you are following.

I see Tom Bombadil and Lady Goldberry as adding to the mystery of the forest. They are meant to stimulate our imagination and cause us to wonder about their origin and history, cause us to ask questions about them. They are like the ruins of the castles and fortresses along the way that cause us to wonder who once lived there. They are like the blue-stoned brooch Tom Bombadil found among the treasure in the burial mound of the Borrow-wight, the brooch that causes us to wonder about the woman to whom it once belonged. They are there to remind us that the history of the world goes back many lifetimes and is full of mystery.(less)
Anne-Marie If you want the whole poem, it has a few other verses:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of…more
If you want the whole poem, it has a few other verses:
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne,
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.(less)

I refuse to write a review for one of the best books ever written. Asking a serious fantasy fan to write a review for Lord of the Rings is like asking a Christian to write a review for The Bible.
So instead I will supply you with this graph:
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Never have I been so sad to give a low rating to such a revered book. I'm so sorry. I can't tell you how sorry I am.

Again, I'm so sorry, but I found this book unbelievably dull. I really am so, so sorry. I'm desperately sad about this. This series has been such a foundation for modern-day fantasy that I'm incredibly disappointed in myself for not liking this. I have always wanted to be a Tolkien fangirl. I've always wanted to learn Elvish and get completely offended à la Stephen Colbert but I ca
J.G. Keely
Authors who inspire a movement are usually misunderstood, especially by those they have inspired, and Tolkien is no exception, but one of the biggest misconceptions about Tolkien is the idea that he is somehow an 'innovator of fantasy'. He did add a number of techniques to the repertoire of epic fantasy writers, and these have been dutifully followed by his many imitators, but for the most part, these techniques are little more than bad habits.

Many have called Tolkien by such epithets as 'The Fa
No words need be said.

(Whoever made this gif should be knighted).

photo aragorn gif_zpsn08i1o3g.gif

Feb 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A review of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, by Sauron

Hello. You may remember me as the title character of the Lord of Rings. I go by a lot of names: Dark Lord of Mordor, Sorcerer, Red Eye, Dark Power, Lord of Barad-dûr, Ring-maker and Base Master of Treachery (I use that one in my band). I actually object to Tolkien's chosen name of Sauron, which I understand originates from an adjective that means "foul, putrid" in his crappy invented language. What can I say, the showers in Mordor a
As a single lady myself, I also love to put a ring on it. And shoutout to my homegurl Sauron!!! you go girl take over middle earth! Reach for the stars! With that balrog on your side you can do anything!
That main dude Frodo tho... reminds me of dat boi Harry... besides what does he need the ring for??
Anyways I gotta give it a low rating cuz theres 2 much frodo, not enough orcs
Jun 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't really "cool" back in high school. I never made out with girls under the bleachers, or smoked under the bleachers, or did any of the other things under the bleachers that - I am lead to believe - the popular kids did. Instead, I maintained a low profile and waited for the teenage years - that wilderness of strangled thinking - to end.

In high school, as today, I harbored geekish obsessions, had a wandering imagination, and nurtured an appreciation for minutiate. In other words, I should
Bookdragon Sean
I’m not going to write a normal review; it’s almost impossible for a fantasy fan to do so in this case. Instead I’m going to give you a series of ten points to explain exactly why I love this particular book. Take from it what you will. There will be spoilers. Here goes:

1. The wizards!

"“Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger.”

Now I do love wizards. Who doesn’t? The wisdom of Gandalf is unmatched. He is, in effect, the leader of the forces of light. He
The Journey begins!!!

Courage is found in unlikely places.

What started up as an adventure oriented for children turned into an epic fantasy...

...THE epic fantasy book, anything else in the genre after this, born here, any other author writing in this field, began here, and even impacted in many other genres and formats.

Certainly, in The Hobbit, there are dangers, there is death, so thinking about it as a children’s tale is a much debated issue, but it’s clear
Hannah Greendale

From the valleys of the Shire to the summit of Amon Hen, The Fellowship of the Ring is an extraordinary adventure of endearing characters defying impossible odds.
Ahmad Sharabiani
494. The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of The Rings, #1), J.R.R. (John Ronald Reuel) Tolkien
The Fellowship of the Ring is the first of three volumes of the epic novel The Lord of the Rings by the English author J. R. R. Tolkien. It is followed by The Two Towers and The Return of the King.
ارباب حلقه ها - جی.آر.آر. تالکین (نگاه، روزنه، ...) جلد نخست یاران حلقه
عنوانها: خداوندگار حلقه ها؛ فرمانروای حلقه ها؛ ارباب حلقه ها؛ سالار انگشتریها؛ نویسنده: جی.آر.آر. تالکین؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: ماه ژونئ س
Jason Koivu
Nov 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Give me a few friends,
a stretch of pleasant hills and an ominous wood.
Let us romp in the remnants of innocence,
free of the fear coursing through the veins of the greater world.
Give me the first half dozen chapters of The Fellowship of the Ring and I will gladly make a little heaven on earth out of it.

After finishing The Hobbit as a young boy, I needed something else, something a little more mature to meet my growing needs. Lucky for me, Tolkien had done just that in the form of his epic trilogy
Doc Opp
Apr 29, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, fantasy
Tolkein's masterpiece is notable primarily for its historical significance. He basically invented the fantasy genre, and because of that all fantasy readers owe him a debt of gratitude. Many things in his books will seem somewhat cliche nowadays, but that's because they have been used so often since he wrote this book - almost all of them were original when this book was written.

That said, Tolkein is not a terribly good writer. He tends to go on in excruciating detail about trivial concepts. Par
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tonight on Anderson Cooper 360, we find ourselves in Murfreesboro, Tennessee and at The Green Dragon Public House and Brewery, a Tolkien inspired pub. Our special guest tonight is none other than THE Hobbit, Mr. Bilbo Baggins, formerly of the Shire. We’ll have a moment to get to know the individual that has meant so much to generations of literary fans and then to a new generation of movie going fans in this last decade. Bilbo, how are you tonight?

Bilbo Baggins: I’m well; thank you, Anderson, an
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, own, series
Raise your hand if you remember the awesome book fairs or Scholastic book order forms from back when you were a kid? Well, in middle school I picked up this sweet read in a box set with the rest of the trilogy and The Hobbit. Unfortunately, while I have always been enthusiastic about reading, I did not find the motivation to complete it for almost 15 years.

In the early 90s I read the Hobbit. Then I followed it up by starting this one but lost interest shortly after Tom Bombadil. Tolkien is great
Cait • A Page with a View
This is at least the 15th time I've read this book and I STILL cannot word my love for everything Tolkien. A day may come when I can actually review my favorite books...

May 03, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read the review by Doc Opp; I think he covers it quite nicely. He explains how Tolkien was the forefather of fantasy writing, and why that makes his books important. He also shares his opinion that the historical importance sort of causes people to overlook that Tolkien couldn't write worth beans.

Opp posits that perhaps it has something to do with the concept of heroism being different in Tolkien's days than it is now. I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean I agree that his characters are a stud
Alex Farrand
I am going to say 4.5 stars. In the beginning I thought it was a little dull. It was making me weary and sleepy reading it. I actually stopped in the middle of chapters because I couldn't read anymore. I hate that! I kept moving, though. I am determined to finish this trilogy. I should have known this book would have taken me longer to read than expected. The movies took me nine days to finish. Don't judge. I was pregnant during that time and very sleepy.

I am very glad I kept going, because the
Mar 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Where would the fantasy genre be without Tolkien? He gave us the first deeply developed fantasy world, and character and plot tropes that are still go-tos for fantasy writers. Are these tropes now overused? Yes, as are tropes in other genres. As King Solomon said, “There’s nothing new under the sun.” We are constantly reusing the ideas of others while trying to improve upon them and make them our own. And we have Tolkien to thank for many of those ideas. I respect him and the Middle-Earth he cre ...more
My education as a young German continues. I have been able to read children's books easily for some time, but books for grown-ups are still challenging. I thought that reading The Lord of the Rings in translation might be helpful, since for me it's intermediate between children's literature and adult literature. The vocabulary and grammar are more like adult literature; but the writing is concrete and straightforward as children's literature tends to be, with little of the abstractions, generali ...more
(Update: Want to read the complete review? Visit the article in Counterpunch!)

I'll admit this: the only reason why I read the LOTR Trilogy was because I was jealous.

The year: 1972. It was a time of ridiculously insane fashion: hot pants, maxi-coats (and pads) and rough-woven cotton shirts, so scratchy they felt like the sartorial equivalent of surgical gauze with chunks of wood stuck between the weave. It was not for the faint-hearted.

And of course, who was the most faint-hearted? Me. I was ent
“Not all those who wander are lost.”
I expect that that if anyone thinks or says the word fantasy, the first thing that comes to mind is Tolkien and The Lord of the Rings right along with it. I relish a good fantasy, but after watching and loving the movies, I was reluctant to read the book. Perhaps pure stubbornness on my part, biased by a crooked idea that the book couldn’t be as good. I was so wrong!

I loved everything about The Fellowship of the Ring. J.R.R. Tolkien 's book is not a
من از سیزده چهارده سالگی رؤیای ارباب حلقه ها را داشتم. اولین بار بخش های پراکنده ای از فیلمش را در تلویزیون دیدم: موجوداتی کوتوله ساکن روستایی زیبا، با جادوگری پیر که آتش بازی راه می اندازد، و حلقه ای شیطانی که آرامش دنیای داستان را بر هم می زند، و سواران تاریک، و چشم آتشینی که همواره ناظر است.
هر چند هیچ وقت نتوانستم تمام سه گانه را ببینم، ولی همین عناصر به قدری تخیل نوجوانانه ام را تهییج کرد، که همیشه سر در آوردن از ماجرای کامل کوتوله ها و حلقه ی شیطانی، یکی از حسرت هایم باقی ماند.

گذشت تا این ک
Sucharita Paul
Sep 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair, and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."

W-O-W! I'm completely blown away..This is the kind of story the word epic seems to have been invented for. J.R.R Tolkien didn't just make up Middle- Earth,he infused every aspect of it with life. The great depth of work Tolkien put into producing his creation involved inventing landscapes, languages, b
Anish Kohli
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One does not simply review the LOTR!!

Yet here I am, trying to do so. In the words of Sam-the-wise Gamgee, I can sum up my review. “Oh, that doesn’t do them justice by a long road.”
This was a BR with The one who DNF’d it and The one who didn't like it.
I have taken my own sweet time with this book, relishing each of its pages and words and watching the movie as I read the book. It has been a great time!
“Is it not a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt for so small a thing?”
4+ out of 5 stars to The Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkien's first novel in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, later made into a billion dollar movie franchise. I count myself lucky to have been able to read this book before it became a movie, though I loved the movie, too.

Why This Book
I was 13 years old when I stumbled upon this book while a friend was reading it. He was a major video gamer, fantasy sports leaguer and avid reader of science fiction. Though we were good friends, I had dif
R.K. Gold
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was long overdue and I am so happy to have finally read the first book. Finishing Books 2 and 3 will be among my early goals of 2018. I can't say enough about how much I loved this book. It's always fun to read about a character who is on the move. The constant action, even if it's as repetitive as avoiding a trail and walking through the woods for two days, kept the narration grounded, which was important in painting a picture of how vast middle earth was.

I love the movies in their own rig
Whitney Atkinson
Oh geez.

This book fell victim to "It was really great at first but then I had 7 chapters to read in one night so I started skimming it and cramming it was making it less enjoyable and now reading this book feels like a task even though if I was given more time I could enjoy it to its full extent but now after being bored for so many chapters I have no interest in picking it up again outside of class."

Genuinely, I like the world. I love the characterization of Sam and Frodo. I like Gandalf, and
Oct 12, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone. This is an essential read.
I consider the Lord of the Rings trilogy the best fantasy, and perhaps the best fiction, ever written. Middle Earth is a beautiful, rich, complete land to which Narnia pales by comparison (don't get me wrong, I very much like Narnia, too).

The beginning of the quest, which starts innocently but dives into a much larger, darker world than its protagonist, Frodo Baggins, could have ever imagined, is absolutely spellbinding. A small portion of the near-infinite background is revealed and armed with
CONTENT DISCLAIMER: I was feeling very muppet-y when I wrote this. Please bear with me :D

This book is not for the faint-hearted.
I've never known a book to come with so much baggage, I swear. So first things first.

In situations where you find yourself entangled with a book like this, the things you have to ask yourself are:
☑ Am I ready for this?
☑ Do I have the time and strength for this?
☑ Am I ready to accept the outcome of this? Because chances are things won't work out at
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Fellowship of the Ring, by J.R.R. Tolkien BR for March 20th 2018 8 9 2 hours, 4 min ago
Book Report 1 2 Mar 22, 2018 06:38PM
Book Report 1 1 Mar 22, 2018 06:38PM
Book Report 1 1 Mar 22, 2018 02:40PM
Lord of the rings vs Harry Potter 112 1371 Feb 27, 2018 09:48AM
  • The Power That Preserves (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever, #3)
  • The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle, #3)
  • Calling on Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #3)
  • Swords Against Death (Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser #2)
  • Servant of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy, #2)
  • New Spring (Wheel of Time, #0)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • The Silver Hand (The Song of Albion, #2)
  • A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth #1)
  • The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #2)
  • Issola (Vlad Taltos, #9)
  • Ship of Destiny (Liveship Traders, #3)
  • Foxmask (Saga of the Light Isles, #2)
  • Elven Star (The Death Gate Cycle, #2)
  • The Hand of Oberon (The Chronicles of Amber #4)
  • The Last Enchantment (Arthurian Saga, #3)
  • The Green Pearl (Lyonesse #2)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

The Lord of the Rings (3 books)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Waterfalls (Glenbrooke, #6)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of the Dead: The Great Liberation through Hearing in the Bardo (Shambhala Classics)
  • Skinny Legs and All
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • July, July
  • Clock Without Hands
  • The Most Dangerous Place on Earth
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Waiting for Morning (Forever Faithful, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Paris Wife
    $11.99 $2.99
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Was Your Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.”
“Not all those who wander are lost.” 18677 likes