Start by marking “Logic: An Introduction to Elementary Logic” as Want to Read:
Logic: An Introduction to Elementary Logic

Logic: An Introduction to Elementary Logic

If a man supports Arsenal one day and Spurs the next then he is fickle but not necessarily illogical. From this starting point, and assuming no previous knowledge of logic, Wilfrid Hodges takes the reader through the whole gamut of logical expressions in a simple and lively way. Readers who are more mathematically adventurous will find optional sections introducing rather ...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 304 pages
Published November 29th 2001 by Penguin (first published August 28th 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Logic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Logic

Start your review of Logic: An Introduction to Elementary Logic
Shafi Sardar
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Was very fun to read!! Pro tip: do the excersizes.

It /was/ an elementary introduction to Logic!
Abhishek Kona
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for the introduction of various notations of logic and basic techniques to establish statements as logical.

It is mathematical and you have to work through it. I though, cannot think of a lot of practical uses of it.

The book in itself is enjoyable.
Honest
Feb 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The first edition of this book has always been my very favorite of the dozens of introductory logic books that I have read. The man is funny and knows his stuff. He doesn't abstract until the move is motivated or introduce formalities until they can be tied to something meaningful. It might be easier for a teacher to lay out the results, the worked-out system, and start explaining the pieces, and this is what plenty of authors do, but I find that a more difficult way to learn. Hodges starts with ...more
Justin Evans
Jun 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Solid intro to logic, which goes about its task in a (for me) odd way. Rather than teaching you a system of propositional calculus, then moving onto predicate logic, it kind of sort of recapitulates the reasons one might develop a propositional calculus in the first place, working from sentences and consistency, rather than arguments. I have no idea how you'd do with this if you hadn't done some logic, but it makes for a good refresher. As ever in these books, some of the answers are either flat ...more
Alexandre Guay
Ce livre d'introduction à la logique n'est pas approprié comme manuel pour un cours d'introduction à la logique formelle ou mathématique. Cependant, il est particulièrement bien fait pour introduire les étudiants à la logique tout court. La quasi-absence de formalisation permet une entrée douce au lecteur inconfortable avec la symbolisation. Je le recommande à tout étudiant débutant. De plus il est très peu cher...
Amber
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dit boek over Logic heb ik gelezen voor mijn studie filosofie. Van tevoren had ik best wel wat schrik voor dit vak (en het bijbehorende tentamen), maar dat is door dit boek helemaal weggenomen. Het is namelijk op een 'populaire' manier geschreven en dus las ik dit boek ook bijna gewoon voor mijn plezier. Er staan oefeningen in zodat je zeker weet dat je snapt waar de tekst over gaat.

Erg fijn boek als je benieuwd bent hoe logica nou eigenlijk werkt. Ik had overigens ook nooit verwacht dat iemand
Steven Wilson
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
I perhaps expected too much. This book is very math and symbol oriented, and very much focused on how to apply rigid rules to grammar. Helpful tools, but, for me, not really an overview of the subject itself. Too long on process, too short on ideas and applications.
Nathan Ormond
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
A brilliant systematic introduction to philosophical and mathematical logic.
Ladyfilosopher
Dec 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was our course book during my undergraduate studies in philosophy. Critical thinking is essential to bridging the diversity of our discussions and points of view.
Lucas Gili
Jul 28, 2013 rated it liked it
The book was first published in 1977 and is published by Penguin. I thought the book was good although the explanations and information was very short. Sometimes a topic was mentioned, the minimal amount of information is then given when I thought more information would have helped to come to understand the topic better, I guess I wanted a bit more than an introduction.

I learnt many things from the book and as a newcomer to elementary logic it took me a while to accustom myself to reading
Ahmad Alhour
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is by far one of the best introductions to Logic. It was written as a First Course on Logic. The book is dense, and full of exercises (almost 80).
I like the book's progression, it starts off by reasoning about logical concepts in ordinary language, and then developing the case for Propositional Logic and First-Order Predicate Logic, it finishes with a 18-paged chapter on topics such as Liklihood, Intension, Modal Logic and Semantics.

I give the book 4 stars becuase the chapter on Predicate
K
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
This was recommended for an introductory course in formal logic.

This book is a solid introduction to propositional and predicate logic. Hodges is a good logician, with many philosophical sensitivities - this shows in his brief treatment of various 'controversial' or 'bizarre' aspects of contemporary logic. I got a lot out of this book, particularly due to the vast number of exercises ranging from implementing phrase structure rules on natural language, to truth tables and predicate tableaux. One
Tony
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: philosophy
This may well be a good book but it lost me after about the third chapter. I knew very little about logic before starting and a little bit more now, but as an introduction it wasn't that much help. One difficulty was that new information would be introduced in the sol;unions; so the author would set an exercise, which relied on material that he didn't explain except in the solution to the exercise. That's frustrating. It may be that this book is better for readers who know some logic , rather ...more
Mike
Aug 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
This book is an introduction to logic. It assumes the reader is new to the subject, and doesn't skimp on covering the basics. There are exercises at the end of each chapter, and answers to all at the end of the book.

This one gets an extra star for picking clever sources for the text in its examples.
Kulveer
Feb 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
if you're interested in language, and arguments, this is worth reading.

be warned, it can lead to you randomly finding ambiguities where there are none in everyday talk, and, can make you an argumentative (and pedantic) person.
J
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Witty and patient. Particularly keen on the slippages and ambiguities between natural language expression and formalisation. My only complaint is Hodge's use of the tableau method for proofs, rather than natural deduction, which seems more popular, and to my eyes, more intuitive.
Walter Schutjens
Oct 12, 2015
Damian
Jun 28, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Bad Monkey (Andrew Yancy, #1)
  • 1453: The Holy War for Constantinople and the Clash of Islam and the West
  • Playing Cards in Cairo
  • Holistic Islam: Sufism, Transformation, and the Needs of Our Time
  • رسالة المسترشدين
  • Billions & Billions: Thoughts on Life and Death at the Brink of the Millennium
  • Into the Hands of the Soldiers: Freedom and Chaos in Egypt and the Middle East
  • Pale Blue Dot: A Vision of the Human Future in Space
  • Kafka Was the Rage: A Greenwich Village Memoir
  • Poonachi: Or the Story of a Black Goat
  • Justice in a Changing World
  • Changing My Mind: Occasional Essays
  • Get Your Sh*t Together: How to Stop Worrying About What You Should Do So You Can Finish What You Need to Do and Start Doing What You Want to Do (A No F*cks Given Guide)
  • Political Philosophy: A Very Short Introduction

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »