Start by marking “Time Out for Happiness” as Want to Read:
Time Out for Happiness

Time Out for Happiness

Published January 1st 1971 by Crowell

To ask other readers questions about Time Out for Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Out for Happiness

Jamie Collins
Frank Gilbreth Jr. and his sister Ernestine wrote the classic books Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes, about growing up in a large family raised by their parents, who were industrial engineers and pioneers in the field of motion study. This is Frank Jr.’s more straightforward, although equally affectionate, story of the lives and careers of his parents, especially his mother, who outlived her husband by almost 50 years.

It seemed a little dry at first, and perhaps suffers in compariso
Kressel Housman
Sep 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
As a fan of Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes , I was thrilled to discover another book about the Gilbreth family. While not as funny as the other two books, it was definitely as enjoyable and filled in more details. For one thing, it gave much more detail about the Motion Study system and how it affected society. It also gave family background going all the way back to great-grandparents. It even covered a bit about working with Hollywood for the film version of Cheaper by the Do ...more
Hanne T
Nov 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
more Gilbreths!! <3
Lydia
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was ok
Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes are two of my favorite books, so I was very excited to stumble upon this book! However, I should have paid attention to the fact that Time out for Happiness was in the Biography section of my library while Belles on Their Toes was lumped in Nonfiction. Time out for Happiness is a book for someone researching the Gilbreths who desires a chronological, fact-based account of the family. It did recount a few stories I enjoyed that were not in the other b ...more
Marca
Oct 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Frank Gilbreth is one of the authors of "Cheaper By the Dozen" and "Belles on their Toes" based on the true life of his family. This book, written years later, provides a more serious look at his father and especially his mother's pioneering work in industrial engineering. "Cheaper" and "Belles" were two of my favorite books when I was a teen, so I was happy to find there was another book about the Gilbreth family. Lillian Gilbreth, the mother, was a woman who was ahead of her time, deserving of ...more
Liz
Mar 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed "Cheaper by the Dozen" and "Belles on Their Toes". This book offers further adventures of the Gilbreth family with more emphasis on the parents and, especially, the contributions of Lillian Moller Gilbreth to the field of engineering (today we would call it ergonomics)
Patsy Hollister
Apr 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
As much as I enjoyed reading (and often laughing out loud while doing so) Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes, this "less prettified" story of the amazing Gilbreth family and their parents was truly fascinating and enjoyable.
Christine
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
"'You can't run by me like that, ma'am, You know ladies aren't admitted.'
'I didn't know, Lillie stammered. Then she added, 'What shall I do? I'm the speaker.'
'At the University Club? he chortled. 'If you are, lady, I'm Fanny Brice. This club is for men only.'
And then he put her back out in the rain, where, New York fashion, there weren't any cabs."

Most people are probably aware, at least in name, of the book Cheaper by the Dozen. Written more like a biography, this book is something of a compani
Priscilla King
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in US history, women's history, technology, or FBG Jr's life & work
Recommended to Priscilla by: author's previous work
While Lillian Moller Gilbreth was active her children wrote two family-friendly comedy stories about their lives with and without their father, Frank B. Gilbreth Sr., the quintessential twentieth century Yankee. When she retired her son wrote a serious biography of her, not without reflections of his family's love of jokes and wordplay, but without making comedy the focal point. This is the version of his parents' story that contains the dates and details that were blurred, and some of the facts ...more
Jm
Jul 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have been looking forward to finding and reading this book. The more I learn about Dr. Lillian Gilbreth, the more I admire her and wish her work and teachings were more widely known and respected.

This book is about Frank and Lillian Gilbreth, as told by their son, a seasoned and trained journalist and author. It traces their family histories and shows how their work in time management was truly a life's calling. Their pioneering efforts to study how people work and create management systems no
Ei
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lovely book about the love story, relationship, and life work of the parents in "Cheaper By the Dozen." Dedication to each other, the development of motion study, delightful glimpses into the children's lives, the struggles and joys of Lillie and Frank Gilbreth's marriage and partnership. I could not put this down.
This hardback was printed in 1971 and sold for $5.95. I purchased it through amazon for $24.95. Worth the money! It's now on our bookshelf for others to enjoy a little sunshine and enc
Stephanie
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
For fans of Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes, although not written in a humorous style. This book has more information about Frank and Lillie, both in their early years and after Frank's death. Also quite a bit about their careers and their pioneering of the field of motion study.
Jenn
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
I love the Gilbreth family, but I can't get into this book. The first 2 were much better. Maybe I'll try again later, but for now, I have lost interest.
Melody
Sep 15, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I may like this book better than the more famous Cheaper by the Dozen. This focuses on the mother of the dozen, and was written later by a more mature and reflective son. Very good.
Dawn Michelle

This was NOT a great book. No where near as good and funny and exciting as the first two. REALLY technical and most parts pretty boring. I was really disappointed!
Catherine
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was very interesting to learn more about what made Lillian and Frank Gilbreth tick. They are a very interesting family with a lot to learn from.
Marina
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
its very interesting
AnneMarie
Jul 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lillian Gilbreth is my new inspiration. I've read Cheaper By the Dozen and Belles on Her Toes numerous times, but enjoyed this insight into her background, both before and after her husband died.
Caitlinleah
Jan 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
after reading cheaper by the dozen again i thought i should read another gilbreth book. it really was quite interesting. they were quite the family.
Child960801
Aug 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book focuses more on the parents of the Gilbreth family; their upbringing and families of origin, their early careers/education, and their contributions to science.
Denice
  • Fighting Fire
  • Learning Joy from Dogs without Collars: A Memoir
  • Stone Girl, Bone Girl: The Story of Mary Anning
  • On Foot Through Africa
  • Hands: growing up to be an artist
  • How to Eat Like a Child: And Other Lessons in Not Being a Grown-up
  • The Mysterious Case of Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys
  • Inventing Joy: Dare to Build a Brave  Creative Life
  • The Good Times
  • Across China
  • Cork Boat
  • Emma's Poem: The Voice of the Statue of Liberty
  • Memoirs of Gluckel of Hameln
Frank Bunker Gilbreth, Jr. (March 17, 1911 – February 18, 2001) was co-author, with his sister Ernestine, of Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes. Under his own name, he wrote Time Out for Happiness and Ancestors of the Dozen.

He was born in Plainfield, New Jersey, the 5th child (and first boy) of the 12 children born to efficiency experts Frank Gilbreth, Sr. and Lillian Moller Gilbreth, a