Start by marking “The House on an Irish Hillside” as Want to Read:
The House on an Irish Hillside

The House on an Irish Hillside

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  184 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
This is the story of how one woman's life was transformed by a remarkable village on the Dingle peninsula in Ireland. It's a life-affirming tale of rediscovering lost values and cherishing loved ones and the communities we live in.
Published August 1st 2012 by Hodder General Publishing Division (first published June 7th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The House on an Irish Hillside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The House on an Irish Hillside

Steve
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Felicity Hayes-McCoy tells a compelling story of the Kerry region that she adopted. Although she gre up in Dublin she went to London to learn and practice her profession (acting, writing, playwriting). Descendant of Galway and Eniscorthy folk, she developed an early love for the Irish language which first took her to the rural Dingle peninsula. Caught up in a busy London career, she purchases an old house and is drawn into the ancient cycles of rural Irish life. Hayes-McCoy's love of the Irish l ...more
Dorothy Fitzgerald
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
i was able to read this while i was living in the exact location that the story takes place, Dingle, Ireland.
i would have enjoyed this book regardless, but being able to walk the roads where the story takes place, certainly influenced me. This is a well written book, well researched and honest to the culture of the location. This is a memoir and travel book. If you have been to Dingle, or are going to Ireland this is a good book to read. And if you just want to go to Ireland.... but can't.... t
Angela
Jan 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is a true love story between Felicity and the spectacularly beautiful Dingle Peninsula. From the day of her arrival as a student of Irish at the age of 17, the magic of the Dingle Peninsula in County Kerry, in the south-west of Ireland filtered into her heart and mind down the years, the incessant ‘pull’ culminating in herself and her English husband buying Tí Neillí Mhuiris – (The house of Nellie, daughter of Muris), a house built from stones picked from the fields and remembered with ...more
Janet
Jul 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and would happily read it again. Felicity Hayes-McCoy tells her life tale along with that of two places, time, and the memories and myths of those places across time with marvelously vivid imagery.. As I read, I felt peaceful, adventurous, and inspired. A feat which no book has driven me to in a long time. Hayes-McCoy masterfully wove together so many threads of her life into this piece.
Jean St.Amand
Feb 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
I didn't realize until I started reading that it wasn't a story, it was true...I only managed to get to page 25 and was so bored I just had to stop because life is too short.
Fiona
Feb 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This clever memoir writing seems like an indulgence. The book takes you to Felicity's home and to numerous story scenes. There are contrasts in setting and peoples but always a warmth and the feeling of being welcome.The rich writing handles description of places and traditions remarkably well and intertwines that with the use of music and word.You can almost hear the ocean and smell the mountain air of Western Ireland.She talks of a landscape representing memories that shouldn't be destroyed an ...more
Kate
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I bought this book in the Dingle Bookshop as I left the peninsula, and read it in airports and aeroplanes on my way back from Ireland to New Zealand. It was a lovely way to name all the things I love about home and it brought the realisation that what's important is bringing the quality of life that Felicity describes to whatever place you live in. Life here in rural NZ is not the same as life in Corca Dhuibhne, the strands don't overlap and weave together in the same way as they do there. But s ...more
Jen
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I wish I had a better word for it than "love," because it took me right back to the two weeks we spent on Slea Head a few years ago. Everything I felt about Dingle and Slea Head and Dunquin and Ventry and all of the little villages surrounding Slea Head and the Blasket Islands...all of it is in this book.

The Dingle Peninsula is a magical place, and I really wasn't particularly familiar with all of the Celtic history, but Hayes-McCoy gives a good history of how those traditions
Felicity
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: autobiography
This is part memoir, part history, part love story from an author who was born in Ireland went to live, work and establish herself in London, then returned to the remote, Irish speaking area of the Dingle Peninsula. She found community, friendship, wisdom, a deep love of the Irish and their/her true language, as well as a great peace of mind from learning to live slower in her little stone cottage with her husband Wilf. Here she finds her place in the remembered/retold history of the hills, her ...more
Molly Ewing
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
My enthusiasm for this book may be partly due to the fact that I picked it up from an Eason's in Carlow, and read it while traveling to and around the locations where it is set on the Dingle Peninsula. It is a lovely memoir, incorporating elements of Irish history, mythology and anthropology with the very personal story of finding, purchasing, and renovating a traditional cottage, learning the wisdom of a specific place, and becoming part of a small community "out back" in the Gaeltalk village o ...more
Kevin
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this immediately it was published and loved every minute of it. I've just been prompted to comment here while reviewing her most recent book. This is a wonderful description of a journey to a less stressful existence, memories of story-telling, making new friends and learning old ways on the western-most tip of Ireland. It is a great read, I highly recommend you take a look - I'm sure you'll enjoy it as much as I did.
Ann
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done-reading
I loved this book! I read it after visiting Dingle and the area surrounding it even though I had it before then I chose to see the area first then read it. I couldn't put it down. She tells about the area in a way a true story teller should, bringing culture, people, government, economy and traditions all together. She describes the people and land everyone can relate to and made me love the area even more.
Becky
Sep 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm taking a trip to Ireland next summer. This book made me want to leave on the next plane. Felicity Hayes-McCoy is an author of the highest caliber...she blends words and weaves the stories, places and people together to make this a most delightful read. To say I enjoyed it just isn't praise enough. I loved it!
Tamara Willems
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written, bringing to life the sights, sounds and smells, rooted in tradition and a rich community life. All perfectly described as to paint a glorious picture, leaves one feeling like they have just visited an enchantingly loving time and place and coming away perfectly rested and restored by the beauty of the earth.
Jill
Dec 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: feel-good
One of my favorite memoirs of all time. Inspirational, beautiful in imagery and scenery, and full of life and music. I love the focus on the seasons, the ancient stories, and on community. I can't wait to go back to the Dingle Peninsula and I'm hoping to meet the author, Felicity Hayes-McCoy, on my next trip to Ireland.
Joanne Dillon
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a lovely memoir, gentle and caring. Anyone who loves Ireland, especially the west coast and Kerry, will enjoy it. Felicity Hayes-McCoy mixes Celtic myths, Irish traditions and tales of modern living in a wonderful, sometimes humorous book. I recommend it.
Mary
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it. Been to Dingle twice and her descriptions of the people and their ways helped me understand my own parents ways. They left Ireland in the late 40's to come to America but kept their ways and good naturedness and humor.
Nanette
Jan 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eire-land
I loved this memoir of the author's life on the Dingle Peninsula in Ireland, a most beautiful land! I loved how she weaves in Irish mythology, Celtic lore, and observations about the landscape.
This was my bedtime story book to give me sweet dreams of Ireland!It took me right there!
Holly
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i loved this book! it was so beautifully written and, to put it simply, it made me smile. i could visualize everything as i read and it made my heart ache to be there, to live a life filled with beauty, community and memories. this book is a true treasure.
Kate Reilly
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Read
Linda
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well-written and very engrossing. I enjoyed it a lot. It was a lovely blend of personal experience, history, and folklore. I'll definitely read more if I can find them.
Katie
Dec 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved the history and reading about her experiences in London and Ireland
Sue
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-group
This charming book makes a satisfying conclusion to an accidental journey that I and my book group have travelled over the past year, I found little that was new in it, but enjoyed the personal perspective on the choice between a traditional and contemporary lifestyle and all that they have to offer. The writer's ability to capture the detail of her surroundings is strong and her writing is sensual and evocative. Possibly best appreciated l if you have visited the west of Ireland (which I have n ...more
Dr. Jahn L. Forth-Finegan
A great immersion in being present, loving what you are doing and where you are, and loving the people, past and present who wander in and out of your life. A great meditation on Ireland. This book pulls you in and welcomes you to a culture that is fading into dreamtime. A wonderful journey without packing a bag.

I would recommend this book for anyone seeking Ireland. It is a cultural guide, a mystical map, an enticement and a rich journey.

Glenn
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What A Ride

I've just returned from our first trip to Ireland, the glow remains and I want to learn more about this magical place, this wonderful book took me to an Ireland and its traditions that made me relax and soak it all in.
Thank you Felicity Hayes-McCoy for the ride!
Rosemary
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My great grandparents were from the west of Ireland so I loved reading this book. It made me feel peaceful and content .
Sheryn
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a re-read actually, that is how much I love it. Plus after reading so many gritty YA titles in a row, I needed something for my SOUL. One day I'll get there...
Caroline
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Good, not great. There was a bit too much olde Irish myth for my taste. I would have enjoyed more about the day to day life in the house at the time the book was written.
virginia m caple
This book fits me!

I do not have the words tell how much I loved this book. I found myself in the telling of the Celts and the present day folks in Dingle. So much wisdom here!
Bridget
Jul 04, 2014 marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2016-reads
Well, folks, this isn't happening. I am slightly less than halfway through, and find this to be incredibly boring. The writing is so dull, even the fact that she is talking about Ireland can't save it.

I was thinking of plowing through, but as I said, if I'm not enjoying it and I'm almost a the halfway mark, I'm just going to move on to something else.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Girl I Left Behind: A Narrative History of the Sixties
  • My Morning View: An iPhone Photography Project about Gratitude, Grief & Good Coffee
  • Trail of Crumbs: Hunger, Love, and the Search for Home
  • Little Chapel on the River: A Pub, a Town and the Search for What Matters Most
  • Twenty Years A-Growing
  • Last of the Donkey Pilgrims: A Man's Journey Through Ireland
  • The Islandman
  • The Price of Water in Finistère
  • A Handful of Honey
  • Night Driving: A Story of Faith in the Dark
  • Letter from New York: BBC Woman's Hour Broadcasts
  • Walking the Woods and the Water: In  Patrick Leigh Fermor's footsteps from the Hook of Holland to the Golden Horn
  • One Man and His Bike
  • A Year in Marrakesh
  • Firstlight: The Early Inspirational Writings of Sue Monk Kidd
  • The Assassin's Cloak: An Anthology of the World's Greatest Diarists
  • The Idle Traveller: The Art of Slow Travel
  • Survivor: Auschwitz, the Death March and my Fight for Freedom
Irish writer Felicity Hayes-McCoy is the author of the "Finfarran" novels, set in a fictional county on Ireland's West Coast. Cathy Kelly, bestselling author of "Between Sisters" and "Secrets of a Happy Marriage", describes Felicity's Finfarran books as "a delicious feast", while Jenny Colgan, New York Times bestselling author of "The Cafe by the Sea", calls them "charming and heartwarming".

The Li
More about Felicity Hayes-McCoy...

Nonfiction Deals

• The Autobiography of Malcolm X
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love, Loss, and What We Ate: A Memoir
    $11.24 $1.99
“This book tells my story. I’m writing it in Ireland, in a house on a hillside. The house sits low in the landscape between a holy well and the site of an Iron Age dwelling. It was built of stones ploughed out of the fields by men who knew how to raise them with their hands and to lock one stone to the next so each was firm. It’s a lone house on the foothills of the last mountain on the Dingle peninsula, the westernmost point in mainland Europe. At night the sky curves above it like a dark bowl, studded with stars.

From the moment I crossed the mountain, I fell in love with the place, which was more beautiful than any I’d ever seen. And with a way of looking at life that was deeper, richer, and wiser than any I’d known before.”
1 likes