Start by marking “The Past, the Present and the Loud, Loud Girl (Ally's World, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Past, the Present ...

Karen McCombie

The Past, the Present and the Loud, Loud Girl

(Ally's World #1)

Meet the Love children: oh-so-perfect Linn, airy-fairy Rowan, animal-obsessed Tor - and Ally, trying to have a normal life somewhere in the middle of it all. Which isn't easy when you live in a house that's a cross between an animal hospital and something out of 'Changing Rooms'. And then there's school and the small matter of the forgotten history project and the ...more
Published (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Past, the Present and the Loud, Loud Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Past, the Present and the Loud, Loud Girl

Start your review of The Past, the Present and the Loud, Loud Girl (Ally's World, #1)
Olivera
Jul 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reread, 2017
This will be my forever favourite book series I have read as a child. I remember that I only came to book six because the local library didn't have the rest and in the book stores these little babies were too expensive. I am so sad I never finished it.

14/5/17

My nostalgia is preventing me to write an objective review, so you won't get one.
Amanda O'Donnell
My family's weird. My eldest sister is 17 going on 70, my other sister is away with the fairies (literally - her room is a shrine to whoever invented fairy lights) and my little brother is a space cadet. Me? Somehow I ended up normal, but it's a struggle, let me tell you...
Katie
Oct 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-2009
**GENERAL REVIEW FOR THE ENTIRE SERIES**

Aww, man....
I started reading these books when I was about nine years old. I don't think I even read them in order at first, just got whichever ones I could find out of my schools library. I loved them. LOVED.

Eventually I figured out the order and filled in the gaps. And then proceeded to read the entire series about five times over. Those were the times.

Ally was my spirit animal in those days. She was a little awkward, wasn't quite sure where she fit into
Belinda
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
*Series review*

As a kid I really enjoyed reading the whole Allys World series, it was subtle in talking about real life problems whilst also having good amounts of humour and really likeable characters!
Paige
Jun 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, allys-world
brilliant sotry-line and brilliant way that its been written. though i can't help but notice that her oher series (starting with 'an urgent message of wowness') has an incredibly similar storyline but with the father leaving and not the mother. don't get me wrong; they're both great, but i can't help wondering what hapenned at home with the author...
Emilie
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I remember reading the Ally's World series when I was around Ally's age (12-13) and they were hilarious. A really quick, funny and easy read for young readers! I remember McCombie using a lot of colloquial language which only made it funnier and more realistic IMO back then :)
Would definitely recommend it to any pre-teens that enjoy a good read
Liz
May 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
I really liked this book. However, I'm 95% happy with the way Karen McCombie handled Kyra's 'confessions' or whatever. She could have written it a bit better. Ally's house and family just suck me in, though :). They're fascinating.
Carys Gidlow
Jun 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Girls- boys wouldnt enjoy it.
Recommended to Carys by: my sister
Shelves: girly-books
I quite liked this book, it was quite funny and it was a good and easy read. i am now readin the sequel because i liked it so much!
Kyra (Blog of a Bookaholic)
Series Review:

I have finally finished the series. All fourteen books, in a space of ten days. I read the first four books in the series when I was ten or eleven, and I adored them. This January, I really felt like revisiting them, as well as continuing with the rest of the books in the series that were still in the garage. I was scared that I wouldn't like them anymore in case I felt that they were too young for me...but I think I loved them even more this time round. IT WAS JUST...SO...
Doris Day
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ally is a great character, and her whole family are great too - I especially love Rowan. I think this book is really good, it's a happy story with lots of humour, drama and energy. These books are great for showing how hectic family life can be, and it has all the little dramas which occur when a family of four live together. (not counting all the cats and dogs, because I can't remember how many exactly). They are all on top of each other, getting on nerves but ultimately sticking together. I ...more
Lizzi Heaney
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
To be honest I only read this because Im on a mission to read / re-read every book I own, and I wanted something light and easy after Dostoyevsky.

I really liked these when I was like, eleven. Theyre definitely... dated to me now, but I still enjoyed it for the nostalgia factor.
Hannah Daykin
I liked this series much more when I was 11 - 14. Rereading the first one it doesnt grip me like it used to but I would still highly recommend it to people in that age group. Its a gentle, easy read with a lot of heart. ...more
Annie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teens
I always read a book once.
and-her-nose-stuck-in-a-book
One of my favorite books when I was a teenager, and still fun today!
1473 Jafa Maria
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its an exciting book my sis have read
Anyla
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Ally's World series is the definition of my childhood/pre-teen years.
Laurie
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These books were THE BEST!!!!!
Ellie
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
I loved this series, as I felt each character brought their own.

Ally - A unconfident yet popular girl who is relatively normal minus the odd dog or 3! yet throughout the series I looked Ally as she never seemed to so defeat and was often the support for her other siblings. Karen McCombie really showed off her characterisation skills throughout and as the series had grown I felt more and more attached to Ally and new she was going to be a memorial character that didn't need other stories to be
A.R. Collins
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this fun, warm and easy-to-read series a lot when I was younger. McCombie creates a vivid world that feels pretty real to me, and Ally's is a friendly voice to guide you through it. The characters have always seemed very much alive, and I've never forgotten them (though I must admit, I don't think of them often when I'm not reading the series).

Some aspects of the writing style are rather irritating, but very few things are perfect, and the pros of this series starter far outweigh the
Mishel Kyryllova
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recommend you to read the book 1CThe past, the present and the loud, loud girl 1D by Karen McCombie is the first book from the series 1CAlly 19s world 1D. It's genre is realistic fiction. The book is about Ally Love the age of 13 trying to solve problems in her family and keep up with school. While there is lot 19s of reasons to panic she finds new friends and gets closer with her family.
After the story ended, I felt like I want to read more of these books and find out, what will happen next.
Dijana
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite book series when I was a kid. It was funny and sad and just an amazing book series to read when growing up. The characters are great and the story was beautiful and funny and I remember asking mom when will the next one come out over and over again because I was curious what will happen next in this weird girl's life.
Amy
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My favourite books when I was about 11. My mum bought them thinking I'd like them, and I did. Heartwarmingly funny and a heroine that doesn't expect too much from girls as she is as awkward as a normal girl should be. Well written and a good storyline, and they kept me laughing until the very end. :)
Catherine Goodall
Jun 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-books
I really enjoyed this series as a child because McCombie made me want to be part of the Love family. However, I thought the first books in the series were the best because there seemed to be less spark in the later ones.
Shauni
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
I remember reading this series of books when I was younger and I loved them. They're still in my book case, having not been touched for some years! I remember they were very very funny, and I could not wait to get the newest instalment each time it came out.
Maja
One of my childhood favorites.
I remember reading this series when I was younger and found them really really funny. Ally and her family is absolutely adorable and the atmosphere in the books are really nice and warm.

Definitely recommendable for young teenagers!
Erin
Aug 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ally-s-world
I really liked it... Although I read it such a long time ago, that I've practically forgotten what it's about. But it's left a pretty good impression on me, so much so that I immediately became stuck to Karen McCombie's books!
Helen X
Sep 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fave-books
LOVE LOVE LOVE! Ally Rocks! Karen Mccombie is my all time fave auther. Can't wait to read her book: The Raspberry Rules
Pauline Borgeaud
3.5 stars.
Krithi
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
i thought it was a lesson. never judge a book by its cover
Roxanne Allsopp
Feb 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teens
I always read a book once.

• Vicky Angel
  • Diamond (Hetty Feather, #4)
  • Lola Rose
  • Double Act
  • The Illustrated Mum
  • Million Dollar Mates (Million Dollar Mates, #1)
  • The Lottie Project
  • The Suitcase Kid
  • The Story of Tracy Beaker (Tracy Beaker, #1)
  • The Storybook of Legends (Ever After High, #1)
  • Ten (The Winnie Years, #1)
  • The Unfairest of Them All (Ever After High, #2)
  • The Templeton Twins Have an Idea (Templeton Twins, #1)
  • Plovoucí po hvězdách
  • Glasvinge (Kørner/Werner, #3)
  • Five Run Away Together (Famous Five, #3)
  • Five Go Adventuring Again (Famous Five, #2)
  • Five Go to Smuggler's Top (Famous Five, #4)
Karen McCombie is a bestselling author of children and young adult novels, and has had more than 80 books published. Originally from Scotland, she lives in London with her husband Tom, their 15-year-old daughter Milly and a beautiful but bitey cat called Dizzy. She is the author of the much-loved series 'Ally's World', and her most recent books include 'St Grizzle's School For Girls, Goats and ...more

Ally's World (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Dates, Double Dates and Big, Big Trouble (Ally's World, #2)
  • Butterflies, Bullies and Bad Bad Habits (Ally's World, #3)
  • Friends, Freak-outs and Very Secret Secrets (Ally's World, #4)
  • Boys, Brothers and Jelly Belly Dancing (Ally's World, #5)
  • Sisters, Super Creeps and Slushy, Gushy Love Songs (Ally's World, #6)
  • Parties, Predicaments and Undercover Pets (Ally's World, #7)
  • Tattoos, Telltales and Terrible, Terrible Twins (Ally's World, #8)
  • Mates, Mysteries and Pretty Weird Weirdness (Ally's World, #9)
  • Daisy, Dad and the Huge, Small Surprise (Ally's World, #10)
  • Rainbows, Rowan and True, True Romance(?) (Ally's World, #11)

News & Interviews