Start by marking “Goggle-Eyes” as Want to Read:
Goggle-Eyes

Goggle-Eyes

3.66  ·  Rating details ·  551 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Kitty Killin is not only a good storyteller, but also the World's Greatest Expert when it comes to mothers having new and unwanted boyfriends. Particularly when there's a danger they might turn into new and unwanted stepfathers...
Published September 17th 1990 by Puffin (first published 1989)

Natalia
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Growing up is a long and confusing business. I try to show that the battle through the chaos is worthwhile and can, at times, be seen as very funny" (Fine, 1994.)

I recall reading this book in year five and feeling really grown up; it was and still is more of a mature take on children’s literature. I think it would suit upper key stage 2 readers as it has some tricky words but could encourage the use of a dictionary amongst less confident readers. Fine touches on the delicate issue of broken fam
Dasha
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really nice book.
I think I would have liked it when I was little.
elizabeth
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
you know those books that come along when you need them to in your life, and you know they wouldn't mean anything to most people but for you they help you in so many ways? well this is one of those books for me. i read it exactly when i needed it, and sometimes i just reread it because i need it, and i love it, and it helps me feel safe and secure and okay with life. so. hmmm.

maybe one day i will write a semi sensible review about this book and how good it is but today is not that day so have n
Sara Darr
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Goggle-eyes is about a girl called Kitty, whose mother and father have divorced. Her mother then meets Gerald who Kitty takes an absolute dislike to and nicknames him 'Goggle-Eyes'. She makes every effort to ruin the relationship between him and her mother. However towards the end of the story Kitty acknowledges that Gerald 'Goggle-eyes is a nice person and realises that she actually misses him when he's not around.

Goggle-eyes is written in informal english with an element of humour, so children
Lorna Holland
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Considering 'Goggle-Eyes' is a children's book, I found it to be a lot more adult than I was expecting. The main character/narrator, Kitty, has a very reflective attitude which I'm not sure many children of that age actually have, and her views on environmentalism etc seemed really mature and developed. Speaking of environmentalism, I actually learned quite a lot about the CND from this book.

One thing I particularly liked was the fact that Gerald isn't portrayed as the stereotypical 'evil' step
Chris Maxwell
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favourite books when I was young. It really holds up to a re-reading as an adult. Anne Fine really knows something about children, and humanity. And she doesn't patronise.
Sana Shahid
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A must read! its so much fun!
Alya Khomenok
May 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Книжка, которая разгоняет сама себя. Простое начало с рыдающей школьницей, которая никому не признается, что произошло, вырастает в историю о взаимоотношениях с новым человеком в семье. Главная героиня - девочка с принципами, которую сложно обвинить в подросковых глупостях. В подростковых книгах мне нравятся образы мам. Мамы всегда второстепенны, но те эпизоды, в которых они появляются, часто раскрывают очень сложные грани характера главных героев-подростков. В "Пучеглазом" она не мямля, не чуда ...more
Tamara Zann
I found this one quite sweet. Kitty is a character I could find myself in and I read the book with pleasure. It was quite a short read but somehow it didn't feel short at all.
Melissa
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
3,75 stars

I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. It was really funny and a perfect length.
Tom
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it
KP
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Another compulsive read by Anne Fine, I really liked all of the characters. I'm a bit confused why the character is suddenly in a girl's school, when the rest the story is about her at home. I'm not sure anything will ever beat flour babies for hilarity.
Misaki Arafuka
90min

-7words
girl/hate/man/nuclear/protest/court /happy

-Question
1) The main character was against nuclear power, what do you think about it?
- I am also against it because it is too expensive. The government have to spend money on other things.

2) A mother changed her boyfriend many times, and her daughter didn't like it. If you were the girl, how do you feel?
- I want my mother to be happy, but probably I also feel bad.

This book made me think about my family and nuclear
Resident Optimist
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
While Anne Fine is a really good writer, I was made to read this in school, I hate being dictated what to read and the fact that we read it over a month or so made me even more bored. I hate having books dragged on when I could've read it in one sitting. It was a good book though and quite entertaining at some points. I recommend this one for all pre-teens who are just starting out with their reading.
Amna C
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This was one of my favourite books when I was young. It was really nice re-reading it as an adult. I have never been through anything resembling broken marriages and new dads or moms but I remember reading this book when I was young and feeling bad for all the children who got stuck in situations as such. That probably explains why I also loved the Suitcase Kid by Jaqueline Fernandez so much. Good Job Anne Fine.
K. Carters
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought it was ok. I liked the story and the conflict of a new threat entering a broken down family but felt the characters weren't as appealing as they could have been. For example, I didn't buy into the Mum caring about the planet more than her own freedom/family. It didn't fit the rest of the story. I also felt Kitty was a little too forgiving to Goggle Eyes. I wanted her to make him work really hard for her trust. The ending was satisfying and I enjoyed how it turned out.
Fuka Hatayama
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
1.Penguin Readers Stage3

2. 5/7 105min

3. Goggle-Eyes, missiles, protest, family, court, scissors

4. A child dies without food every few seconds but we spend a million pounds every day on nuclear missiles.
I'm sad like this situation. We must know about many poor people suffer from famine.

5. Family problem is very difficult, but family is one of the most important part of our life.
Nuclear missiles are very dangerous, so I hope missiles will be removed from this world.
Shiho Kawai
-Penguin Readers, level 3
-Time: 80 minutes
-7 Word Sumamary: Mum, Boyfriend, Old, Daughter, Family, Protest, Potato
-Discussion Questions:
1. If your mother has boyfriend, what should you do?
I cannot make nice with him, because I have father.
2. Do you often clean up your room?
I sometimes do that, but my room is not dirty.
Kristina
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
In my opinion the story was a little too cheesy and predictable. Perhaps I am a little biased because of my tendency to not like this genre of books as well. Also the fact that I was reading it in school and I constantly had to re read chapters because I was much ahead of others must not have helped either.
Candycloud
Quite interesting. 8oI
Harriet
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
An extremely cleverly written and funny book. Although meant for children this book is good enough to be read by anyone Anne fine is a wonderful writer.
Kate
Aug 19, 2011 added it
REALLY GOOD!
Miriam Laverick
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An excellent children’s book, which I discovered recently as part of my children’s writing ‘research’. I remember the TV series from my childhood.
Amelie
Mar 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-uni, e-book
Read for University.
Dani Moore
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun kids book for kids whose divorced parents are dating.
Kathleen
May 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1990
TPL
Namiko
It is "Full-House" good.
Colin
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's a little dated but Goggle Eyes is enjoyably grounded in the real world.
Tamsin
Jun 07, 2016
Snowballs.rule.2012
rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2012
Goggle-eyes 1 15 Jun 12, 2009 08:24AM
  • The Wool-Pack
  • The Edge of the Cloud (Flambards, #2)
  • The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler
  • The Scarecrows
  • The Haunting
  • The Return of the Twelves
  • Summer Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #3)
  • The Prime Minister's Brain (Demon Headmaster, #2)
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • A Pack of Lies
  • Dear Nobody
  • River Boy
  • The Family from One End Street (The Family from One End Street, #1)
  • The Children of Willow Farm (Rewards)
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • The Other Side of Truth
  • Pigeon Post (Swallows and Amazons, #6)
  • Mrs. Pepperpot Stories
Though readers often find themselves inadvertently laughing aloud as they read Anne Fine's novels, as she herself admits, "a lot of my work, even for fairly young readers, raises serious social issues. Growing up is a long and confusing business. I try to show that the battle through the chaos is worthwhile and can, at times, be seen as very funny." In 1994, this unique combination of humour and r ...more

Young Adult Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • American Street
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Out of Breath (Breathing, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Barely Breathing (Breathing, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Reason to Breathe (Breathing, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Prisoner B-3087
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
  • The Luxe (Luxe, #1)
    $3.74 $0.99
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
  • The Thing About Jellyfish
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Where the Road Takes Me
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Inexplicable Logic of My Life
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wish
    $5.67 $2.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Wednesday Wars
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Killing Ruby Rose (Ruby Rose #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All the Little Lights
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Endangered (Ape Quartet, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Vanishing Girls
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Girl I Used to Be
    $7.80 $2.99
  • After the Woods
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Path of the Storm (Evermen Saga, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Living your life is a long and doggy business. . . . And stories and books help. Some help you with the living itself. Some help you just take a break. The best do both at the same time.” 1 likes
“Guests stay where you've put them, and carry on doing whatever you suggested they do, until you suggest they stop and do something else. If you leave them drinking a cup of tea and looking through your holiday slides, they're supposed to sit tight till you ask them to come string and beans in your kitchen.” 0 likes