Start by marking “Goggle-Eyes” as Want to Read:
Goggle-Eyes

Goggle-Eyes

Kitty Killin is not only a good storyteller, but also the World's Greatest Expert when it comes to mothers having new and unwanted boyfriends. Particularly when there's a danger they might turn into new and unwanted stepfathers...
Published September 17th 1990 by Puffin (first published 1989)

Start your review of Goggle-Eyes
Natalia
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Growing up is a long and confusing business. I try to show that the battle through the chaos is worthwhile and can, at times, be seen as very funny" (Fine, 1994.)

I recall reading this book in year five and feeling really grown up; it was and still is more of a mature take on children’s literature. I think it would suit upper key stage 2 readers as it has some tricky words but could encourage the use of a dictionary amongst less confident readers. Fine touches on the delicate issue of broken fam
elizabeth
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favourite-books
you know those books that come along when you need them to in your life, and you know they wouldn't mean anything to most people but for you they help you in so many ways? well this is one of those books for me. i read it exactly when i needed it, and sometimes i just reread it because i need it, and i love it, and it helps me feel safe and secure and okay with life. so. hmmm.

maybe one day i will write a semi sensible review about this book and how good it is but today is not that day so have n
Dasha
Apr 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Really nice book.
I think I would have liked it when I was little.
Lucy
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is perfect for children struggling to come to terms with new additions to their family in the form of stepfathers/mothers. Engagingly and humourously told, the story of Kitty highlights that people are not always as bad as they seem and making snap judgements can make a situation worse, while never losing sight of the fact that this is inevitably a difficult period of a child's life. I was also struck by the addition of climate change and nuclear protest in the younger generation, whic ...more
Sara Darr
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Goggle-eyes is about a girl called Kitty, whose mother and father have divorced. Her mother then meets Gerald who Kitty takes an absolute dislike to and nicknames him 'Goggle-Eyes'. She makes every effort to ruin the relationship between him and her mother. However towards the end of the story Kitty acknowledges that Gerald 'Goggle-eyes is a nice person and realises that she actually misses him when he's not around.

Goggle-eyes is written in informal english with an element of humour, so children
Lorna Holland
Mar 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Considering 'Goggle-Eyes' is a children's book, I found it to be a lot more adult than I was expecting. The main character/narrator, Kitty, has a very reflective attitude which I'm not sure many children of that age actually have, and her views on environmentalism etc seemed really mature and developed. Speaking of environmentalism, I actually learned quite a lot about the CND from this book.

One thing I particularly liked was the fact that Gerald isn't portrayed as the stereotypical 'evil' step
Sana Shahid
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
A must read! its so much fun!
Chris Maxwell
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favourite books when I was young. It really holds up to a re-reading as an adult. Anne Fine really knows something about children, and humanity. And she doesn't patronise.
Rameen Ali
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
It's a very interesting book about how the protagonist has to adjust to a new person in her life. I recommend it.
Summary:
Google's eyes is about a girl named kitty whose mother and father have divorced. Kitty lives with her younger sister Jude and her mum. And her dad lives in Berwick-upon-tweed. Her mother meets a person named Gerald Faulkner and she gives him the name google eyes as a sign of him starting too much at people. However, he doesn’t know that, and she takes an absolute dislike in hi
Gill James
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Goggle-eyes is Kitty's potential step-father. He earns the title because of the way he looks at Kitty's mother. Kitty slowly get to know him and accept him for what he is. This is set in another era. The characters don't have mobile phone and Kitty and her mother are protesting abut nuclear weapons. Yet Anne Fine presents us with a problem that is recognizable even in the first quarter of the 21st century. Marriages break up and mothers and fathers acquire new partners that the children have to ...more
The Book Squirrel
I loved this book when I read it in primary school! I can still remember the scene of the two girls at school telling the story of Goggle-Eyes. Sure, maybe if I read it as an adult it wouldn't be as good, but it's stuck in my memory all these years as being excellent.
Tamara Zann
I found this one quite sweet. Kitty is a character I could find myself in and I read the book with pleasure. It was quite a short read but somehow it didn't feel short at all.
Frida Sjöberg
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Read for school.

This was an easy read. It was interesting and funny and could appeal to both children and adults.
Melissa
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
3,75 stars

I enjoyed this way more than I thought I would. It was really funny and a perfect length.
Tom
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it
KP
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Another compulsive read by Anne Fine, I really liked all of the characters. I'm a bit confused why the character is suddenly in a girl's school, when the rest the story is about her at home. I'm not sure anything will ever beat flour babies for hilarity.
Misaki Arafuka
90min

-7words
girl/hate/man/nuclear/protest/court /happy

-Question
1) The main character was against nuclear power, what do you think about it?
- I am also against it because it is too expensive. The government have to spend money on other things.

2) A mother changed her boyfriend many times, and her daughter didn't like it. If you were the girl, how do you feel?
- I want my mother to be happy, but probably I also feel bad.

This book made me think about my family and nuclear
Resident Optimist
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
While Anne Fine is a really good writer, I was made to read this in school, I hate being dictated what to read and the fact that we read it over a month or so made me even more bored. I hate having books dragged on when I could've read it in one sitting. It was a good book though and quite entertaining at some points. I recommend this one for all pre-teens who are just starting out with their reading.
K. Carters
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it
I thought it was ok. I liked the story and the conflict of a new threat entering a broken down family but felt the characters weren't as appealing as they could have been. For example, I didn't buy into the Mum caring about the planet more than her own freedom/family. It didn't fit the rest of the story. I also felt Kitty was a little too forgiving to Goggle Eyes. I wanted her to make him work really hard for her trust. The ending was satisfying and I enjoyed how it turned out.
Fuka Hatayama
May 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
1.Penguin Readers Stage3

2. 5/7 105min

3. Goggle-Eyes, missiles, protest, family, court, scissors

4. A child dies without food every few seconds but we spend a million pounds every day on nuclear missiles.
I'm sad like this situation. We must know about many poor people suffer from famine.

5. Family problem is very difficult, but family is one of the most important part of our life.
Nuclear missiles are very dangerous, so I hope missiles will be removed from this world.
Amna C
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
This was one of my favourite books when I was young. It was really nice re-reading it as an adult. I have never been through anything resembling broken marriages and new dads or moms but I remember reading this book when I was young and feeling bad for all the children who got stuck in situations as such. That probably explains why I also loved the Suitcase Kid by Jaqueline Fernandez so much. Good Job Anne Fine.
Shiho Kawai
-Penguin Readers, level 3
-Time: 80 minutes
-7 Word Sumamary: Mum, Boyfriend, Old, Daughter, Family, Protest, Potato
-Discussion Questions:
1. If your mother has boyfriend, what should you do?
I cannot make nice with him, because I have father.
2. Do you often clean up your room?
I sometimes do that, but my room is not dirty.
Kristina
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was ok
In my opinion the story was a little too cheesy and predictable. Perhaps I am a little biased because of my tendency to not like this genre of books as well. Also the fact that I was reading it in school and I constantly had to re read chapters because I was much ahead of others must not have helped either.
Dani Moore
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun kids book for kids whose divorced parents are dating.
Harriet
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
An extremely cleverly written and funny book. Although meant for children this book is good enough to be read by anyone Anne fine is a wonderful writer.
Miriam Laverick
Feb 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An excellent children’s book, which I discovered recently as part of my children’s writing ‘research’. I remember the TV series from my childhood.
Colin
Jun 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's a little dated but Goggle Eyes is enjoyably grounded in the real world.
Kate
It is "Full-House" good.
Goggle-eyes 1 15 Jun 12, 2009 08:24AM

• Each Peach Pear Plum
  • Vicky Angel
  • The Demon Headmaster (Demon Headmaster, #1)
  • Before I Die
  • Paddington Bear
  • Are We All Lemmings and Snowflakes?
  • Sapphire Battersea (Hetty Feather, #2)
  • Breaking & Mending: A Doctor’s Story of Burnout and Recovery
  • The Missing Girl
  • How Not to Disappear
  • The Night is Darkening Round Me
  • Our World: Our OFFICIAL autobiography
Though readers often find themselves inadvertently laughing aloud as they read Anne Fine's novels, as she herself admits, "a lot of my work, even for fairly young readers, raises serious social issues. Growing up is a long and confusing business. I try to show that the battle through the chaos is worthwhile and can, at times, be seen as very funny." In 1994, this unique combination of humour and r ...more