Start by marking “Tom Thumb” as Want to Read:
Tom Thumb

Tom Thumb

After many adventures, a tiny boy, no bigger than his father's thumb, earns a place as the smallest Knight of the Round Table.
Published August 27th 1993 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Tom Thumb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Thumb

Start your review of Tom Thumb
Beverly
May 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This story, set in the days of King Arthur, has beautiful, detailed, very large egg tempera and watercolor paintings.
Kelly
The illustrations are very nice but the story is annoyingly twee and sentimental. It doesn't flow well from one adventure to the next. There are certain details which don't make sense (why would a giant who lives on a cliff by the sea need a seashell in order to hear the sound of the waves??). I don't remember the original Tom Thumb being like this, but perhaps my memory is faulty.
Cheryl
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
A classic tale, retold at fair length, with the addition of an Arthurian setting. Illustrations are gorgeous. They are so lovely that they lend a bit of gravitas, which mutes the adventure & excitement. Still, a great version to choose as you go through your exploration of different fairy & folk tales.
Brenda B
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fun adventures. Great pictures.
Claire Macugay
Nov 06, 2011 rated it liked it
I've never seen Thumbelina, but I wondered if that movie was a spinoff of this fairy tale. Nonetheless, this was a great story. It had many elements of a classic fairy tale: a wizard, fairies (duh), and a king. It also had the theme of an average kid ending up connecting to royalty somehow. I chose to read this fairy tale because it was one I had never heard of before. Having read it I can see why. I mean, Tom Thumb is a likable kid, but it wasn't the type of princess fairy tale that would be ...more
Stephanie Allen
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, picture-book
This was the classic tale of Tom Thumb, a man no bigger than his father's thumb. His parents so wished for a child and Merlin granted their wish after they treated him with kindness. Tom gets taken away by a raven which starts his amazing journey involving giants, kings, and help from animal friends.
Teri
Beautiful illustrations.
Amber
Oct 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
I Really enjoyed this book as much as the kids did. We read it from the school list, and it is a really good pick.
Jennifer Rice
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Beautiful illustrations. I would consider this story to be long for my 2 and 3 year old but it held their interest and they sat through the entire story.
Sandy
Jan 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this for the illustrations - they're wonderful. Almost makes me want to buy a pet rat. Almost.
Kami
Dec 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful pictures, fun story.
Amanda Martinez Kirby
rated it it was ok
Jul 28, 2011
Gabrielle L. Stewart
Nov 30, 2019
Natalie
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great story and fantastic art work. I rarely see such art as that which was in this story.
Guen
May 28, 2018
Genevieve
Feb 08, 2010
Zi Ying
rated it did not like it
Jul 03, 2019
Tierney Nelson
May 14, 2015
Elizabeth
rated it it was ok
Jan 25, 2012
Amy Cornelsen
Jun 28, 2017 marked it as to-read
Included on the Thomas Jefferson Education "Classics for Young Children and Family Reading" List
Cherie

• Follow the Drinking Gourd
  • Hippos Are Huge!
  • Ox-Cart Man
  • I Am #11: Walt Disney
  • What's the Big Idea, Ben Franklin?
  • Gabriel's Well
  • Shepherds, Why This Jubilee?
  • Sweet Merciful Christmas
  • The Last Man at the Inn: One Man's Quest to Believe
  • Pied Piper of Hamelin
  • King Midas and the Golden Touch
  • Unto Us a Child Is Born (Booklet)
  • The Baker's Dozen: A Saint Nicholas Tale, with Bonus Cookie Recipe and Pattern for St. Nicholas Christmas Cookies (25th Anniversary Edition)
  • The Emperor's New Clothes
  • Winnie: The True Story of the Bear Who Inspired Winnie-the-Pooh
  • Bartholomew and the Oobleck
  • Mesmerized: How Ben Franklin Solved a Mystery that Baffled All of France
  • The Volunteer: One Man’s Mission to Lead an Underground Army in Auschwitz and Expose the Greatest Nazi Crimes