Start by marking “Orphans of the Storm” as Want to Read:
Orphans of the Storm

Orphans of the Storm

Jess and Nancy are nurses in France during the Great War. They have much in common for both have lost their lovers in the trenches, so when the war is over and they return to Liverpool, their future seems bleak.

Very soon, however, their paths diverge. Nancy marries an Australian stockman and goes to live in the Outback, while Jess marries a Liverpudlian. Their lives couldn
Published June 15th 2006 by Arrow (first published January 23rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Orphans of the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orphans of the Storm

Shirley Revill
Loved this book. Easy to read but hard to put down.
Recommended.
Sally Hooper
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Quick and easy book to read. Somewhat unpredictable, many interesting facts about The Great War that I was unaware of. I enjoyed learning about the tough life of a rancher and his family in Australia and how the 2 worlds came together in the end.
Jennifer Leather
Apr 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read and a very good insight in to the lives of people during the 2nd world war.
Christine
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an enjoyable book set in Australia and Liverpool during the second world war. I would
recommend this book.
Rachel Brand
Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical, 2008, wwii
What a lovely story! It took me a while to get into the book, and even longer for the story to actually start but definitely worth a read. It's written in very simple language and the story is pretty typical, but it's a nice book to settle down with if you've been doing a lot of work or are going through a hard time. I may consider getting hold of a couple more Katie Flynns as exam time comes around! 8/10
Barbara
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
This kind of book is just pleasantly easy to read. In spite of the difficulties faced by war in England and Europe, the characters get on with their lives through strong social connections and somehow manage to keep track of others across the miles and between falling bombs. This one takes place in two continents and they still stay connected.
Kingfan30
Oct 09, 2011 rated it liked it
If you read the back of the book you would believe that it is mostly about two people trying to find each other after being torn apart during the war, this actually does not happen until over half way through the book, however I found this book a nice easy read.
Rosemary
Jan 01, 2012 rated it liked it
A very good read, just what I expected from Katie Flynn.
Pauline
Jan 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Nice easy read. Two friends are nurses during WW1,when the war finishes one decides to go to Australia and the other stays in Liverpool.We then learn how their lives turnout.
Jan
Feb 02, 2016 added it
Ok
Cheryl
Jan 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This Book is Brilliant
Paints a real life image of liverpool and the world during second world war
Ang
Jul 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who has a best friend
This was a lovely read about two best friends and how their friendship/lives are affected during and after the the 2nd world war.
Shelby
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it
Easy read, but some of the scenarios are out of this world and quite cheesy.
Mrs Jean Cox
Rosanne Gibbons
Jun 18, 2019
Sharon
Mar 09, 2018

• Where the Heart Is (Campion family, #4)
  • First Love, Last Love
  • Angels of Mercy
  • Orphan Of Angel Street
  • Plough the Furrow
  • Home is Where the Heart Is
Librarian Note: There is more than one author by this name in the Goodreads database.

Katie Flynn was born in Norwich and attended Norwich High School, where she was extremely happy and extremely undistinguished. Published at the tender age of eight, in Enid Blyton's Sunny Stories, she joined a Writers’ Circle as an adult, publishing short stories, articles, etc; only turning to novels in 1971 beca
“advise,’ he told her. ‘Remember, they want your company . . . and I believe there’s work enough for dozens on most cattle stations.’ Right now, however, the young seaman who had carried her trunk down the gangway was saying that he was prepared to carry it all the way to the railway station if she was willing to pay him a few bob. ‘I mean to buy a present for me girlfriend,’ he explained. ‘But I spent up at the last port, so any money I can earn is welcome.’ They reached the railway station and found the train for Queensland already waiting by the platform. So whilst Debbie bought her ticket, the young seaman stood guard over her trunk, then bade her a hasty goodbye and set off for what he described as ‘a poke around the shops’. It was a pity in a way, Debbie thought, as she climbed aboard the train, that she had decided not to get a job right here in Sydney, and then to make her way up to Queensland by slow degrees, because she would have seen more of the country that way. But the young officer had been right. No one would want to employ a waitress, or a shop assistant, or a barmaid for a matter of days, so she would have had to work perhaps for several weeks before moving on. That would have prolonged the journey ridiculously, and besides, the train fare was not yet beyond her means. In any case, the truth” 0 likes