Start by marking “Someday's Dreamers, Vol. 01” as Want to Read:
Someday's Dreamers, Vol. 01

Someday's Dreamers, Vol. 01 (Someday's Dreamers #1)

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  272 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Yume desperately wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a magic user in the worst way! She innocently practices using magic to help the people she encounters: struggling soccer players, the wrongly incarcerated, and a student who wants to show his moon-loving teacher a lunar eclipse on a cloudy evening. On this coming-of-age journey filled with genuine imagin ...more
Published March 7th 2006 by TokyoPop (first published October 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Someday's Dreamers, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Someday's Dreamers, Vol. 01

Megan
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
I found this very slow and bland. The frustrating thing is, it has potential. The world-building aspect of the story is very interesting, and the magic and mages are given an intriguing twist. The characters also seemed to have depth and interesting motivations. This could easily have been an action-paced magical adventure series OR a deep character study, or one of those beautiful fusions of both. But the story refuses to dig into either the world or the characters. Instead, it meanders around ...more
Faith
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I just finished this book! It's not as good as the Blue Exorcists series, but that's all that I could find as looking like a good book at the library. It's about a girl name Yume, and she is a magic user: someone who has magic, almost like a witch. She is training to control her magic, and to help people, and achieve their goals, with magic.
Alyssa
May 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-read
Series review: This is a super cute story about a girl who wants to get her magic license so she can help make people happy. It starts off light hearted, but later gets loaded with feels. It's a short two volume read, and I just found out there are two sequel series after it. It's worth the read.
Blue
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book, even when read the correct way, lacks a plot that one can follow. Sure, I'm an American reading a manga book, but I can't exactly follow the story when it takes weird directions, and no matter how much I comb, I cannot make heads or tails of the story.
Kat Catania
Feb 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
I couldnt finish the story. It was bland and everything moved weird. I wouldnt say its a cross of harry potter and salor moon.
MissAnnThrope
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
05 March 2013

What enticed me to pick up Someday's Dreamers, Volume 1 was the blurb on the back cover comparing this story to Harry Potter and Sailor Moon. Being a big fan of both series, I had high hopes that this story would transcend me to a fantastical world to lose myself into.

This was a sweet tale of a kindhearted girl with the ability to do magic. Yume travels to Tokyo to further her training as a magic user. With the guidance of her teacher, Masami Oyamada, she takes on different clients
Natalie
Aug 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Filled with simple, pretty art, Someday's Dreamers asserts itself as a cross between Harry Potter and Sailor Moon. That bold claim may set the bar a little too high. Magic user Yume leaves home and travels to Tokyo to become an apprentice and learn more about her powers. When she arrives, she embarks on a number of quests to help different people. The story is cute and fluffy; it never ventures into anything darker, though it skirts around deeper moments that would have allowed for interesting ...more
Ella
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Yume's such a sweet girl for helping out others in need, but I can see that she's been taking an advantage of her magic. She should be using it when she really needs to. Not just having to use when its needed. Most of the time taking something for granted can bring consequences in life and make more situations more tougher than it really is. She doesn't know that she's abusing this power of hers until when others mention it to her. Though, I'm happy that she's helping out others even though she' ...more
Aletha
The reason I picked up this book was because of the art. I don't usually like the style of art that is used in manga, but I loved this one. Unfortunately, that's where the good things end.

Overall, this book just left me feeling confused. It was often unclear if it was a dream or not, and sometimes I found myself having trouble deducing who said what words. The storyline wasn't too bad, but it also wasn't amazing either. I never really felt in tune with the main character, or any of the other cha
Niccole Paytosh
Aug 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, donated
Overall I was pretty disappointed. The book itself is really thin, being only 130ish pages long. The story is tagged as being a cross between Harry Potter and Sailor Moon, but I really didn't see any likeness to either. The art is very pretty, but is very simple. The panels and layout are overly boxy compared to other manga, and can make it confusing at times about who is talking. This manga just feels different. It actually looks more like an OELmanga, then a standard shoujo one. I'm glad I had ...more
Amanda
Sep 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
The central charcter, Yume, has a huge heart & dearly wants to bring other people joy. Her good-hearted naivetee is both charming & frustrating. This is a very sweet story - far more innocent than Harry Potter & Sailor Moon (Amazon would have you believe it's a cross between the two, not so).

The drawings are lovely but the flashbacks are not clearly visually communicated as flashbacks, which can cause confusion. The story lacks other clear transitions as well, which might just be a p
Lara
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Well, I wasn't too crazy about anything to do with this one...the art didn't really appeal to me, and I didn't really find any of the characters very interesting, or any of the plot elements particularly compelling. The whole thing was pretty thoroughly meh. But I have the next several volumes at home, so I guess I'll at least read the next one and see if it improves. I'm not holding my breath though.
Ashley ventura
Jun 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yume (a magic user) wants to be a magic users but in the worst way. She uses her magic (practice her magic) to help she enconters (meets). Yume finds out that the true magic in life can take place right inside own heart all along. all of this because her mom was a magic user and she'd wanted to do this like her
Elizabeth
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Talk about disappointing... "A cross between Sailor Moon and Harry Potter," ha! I only gave it 2 stars for cute artwork and a nice message in the end. Otherwise.... It was bland and I have no interest in finishing the series or even touching the anime.
Douglas Cootey
Jan 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
For Kumichi Yoshizuki's first manga, the artwork is phenomenal. Aside from panels here and there with confusing sequencing, I never would have imagined this was a first venture. Norie Yamada's story was heartwarming and engaging, balancing the art with a strong story. I look forward to volume two.
Sara Truog
Jan 27, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya
A girl with magical talents becomes an apprentice to a magician and uses her powers to help others. I think this genre (manga) is not really for me. I chose to read this because it has a magical slant to it... but I found it difficult to follow and the story is not very gripping.
Erica
Oct 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, graphic-novel, 2009
A much better experience with manga than my first attempt (Shugo Chara 1). This was a really good story and I will definitely pick up the later volumes in the series.
Karaoke OK
Apr 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-favorites
[Series Length: 2 volumes / Read: volumes 1-2]

(Would you like me to post a short review of this series? Feel free to place a request in my GoodReads InBox. Thanks!)
Emily Farrar
Sep 17, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
It was ok. The story is sweet.
Benjamin
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016, manga
This manga had potential but in the end it did not have enough substance. It was so hard to finish. Cute but not enough to want to read any more into the series.
Bre
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magic
For me it was a perfect summer read! Light, fluffy, but not without the drama :D
Kristen
Mar 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A cute magic using manga series about a girl who wants to use her magic to help other people, but she has a strange fear of men...
Justine
Apr 23, 2012 rated it liked it
I loved the drawing in this book it's very beautiful and well done. The story line is rather cute. This is a very short and easy read. I enjoyed having something I could read in one sitting.
Ericka
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, shoujo, manga
Heartwarming

Sweet, light story about a young magic user in training. Sometimes she has to learn hard or sad lessons, but it's a good story about growing and maturing.
Ysabet
Feb 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Hmm. I found that the anime version of this was noticeably stronger than the manga, which is unusual for me.
Laela
In a world that some people have magic and some do not Yume goes to learn about using her magic.
Chantal
Jul 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Uncombine? 1 2 Feb 14, 2013 11:58PM
  • Saint Tail, Vol. 1
  • Aqua, Volume 1 (Aqua, #1)
  • Magical X Miracle, Vol. 3 (Magical x Miracle, #3)
  • Natsume's Book of Friends, Vol. 9
  • Yume Kira Dream Shoppe
  • Kingyo Used Books, Vol. 1
  • Alive: The Final Evolution, Volume 1
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 11
  • Flame of Recca, Vol. 01 (Flame of Recca, #1)
  • R.O.D. Read or Dream 3 (R.O.D. Read or Dream, #3)
  • Magic Kaito Vol. 1
  • Kaze Hikaru, Vol. 1
  • The Kindaichi Case Files, Vol. 1: The Opera House Murders
  • Beauty is the Beast, Vol. 1
Norie Yamada, with illustrator Kumichi Yoshizuki, is the author of the manga Someday's Dreamers, Someday's Dreamers: Spellbound, and the currently-running Someday's Dreamers: Summer's Sora.
More about Norie Yamada...

Someday's Dreamers (2 books)
  • Someday's Dreamers, Vol. 02