Start by marking “PeaceMaker, (PeaceMaker, #1)” as Want to Read:

Read Book

PeaceMaker,

(PeaceMaker #1)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Software expert Ray Brown is plunged into a life-or-death contest with PeaceMaker, a deadly artificial intelligence that has infected most of the world's computing devices. His determination to eliminate PeaceMaker leads him into a dangerous conflict with the Domain, a clandestine organization dedicated to a new world order. Humiliated by the federal government in an anti- ...more
Published June 1st 2004 by Daniel J Ronco @ Associates

To ask other readers questions about PeaceMaker,, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PeaceMaker,

Kahilidoc
Nov 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic techno-thriller!! Peacemaker is a fast-paced thriller that left me eager for the upcoming sequel, "Unholy Domain." Ronco's fictional story warns us to proceed with caution as we rapidly advance our dependance on technology. This is not an old theme, but certainly a relevant one with the persistance of widely distributed email and online viruses in a society pushing for global portable internet access.

Many thanks to fellow "Goodreads" member, Dan Ronco for his free online read of "Peac
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
Dec 18, 2007 rated it really liked it
I learned about this book from the author who is on this site. I managed to win a copy of the book and am glad that I did because this was a book that kept me wondering what will happen next. It is set in the future and is about a computer virus that has become a force of its own.

Definitely a book to check out and read!
Mason
Apr 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Logan
Shelves: fiction
I really liked this book because it had a great comcept that is not that unbelievable. The events in the book could really happen. I can't wait to read the second book in this trilogy. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes a good thriller.
Daniel
Nov 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
was told this is a good one
J.C.
Nov 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A Breath of Fresh Air

I finished this book within 24-hours. I almost finished it in one sitting. I was captivated by the interesting and fast paced nature of the plot. The storyline was simple enough, but believable enough to be scary. I am a "hard" science fiction junkie, and I liked how this novel had an element of "hardness" to it, but was not overly complicated with details and really focused on moving the plot forward and creating complicated situations for the compelling characters.

I found
Dan
Sep 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: anyone who likes scifi or thrillers
Shelves: thrillers
PeaceMaker, a start-at-a-dead-run science fiction thriller, is set in the near future, where software revolutionaries are pushing artificial intelligence to the brink of terrorism.

The prologue plunges software architect Ray Brown into a life-or-death contest with PeaceMaker, a deadly artificial intelligence that has infected most of the world’s computing devices. Ray's determination to eliminate PeaceMaker leads him into a dangerous conflict with the Domain – a clandestine organization dedicate
Lee Holz
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Peacemaker is a fast-paced and thoroughly enjoyable techno-thriller. It has elements of S-F, but I see it more as a futurist book than S-F. Its themes include cyber-war, or more accurately cyber-terror, and artificial intelligence, a theme with a long history in S-F, but just when you think you have a handle on the AI plot, you don’t. This alone will get me to read the second book in the saga. More universal themes include the drive for power, how power corrupts, the abuse of power, alcoholism, ...more
Tanja
Jan 12, 2011 rated it liked it
PeaceMaker is about Ray Brown, a computer architect who builds a computer a system that catapults his company into the forefront of the computer industry. Brown discovers a virus imbedded in the system that is dangerous. His investigations become dangerous to him and everyone around him.

The story is full of techno speak that even the average Joe (like me) can understand. The story started getting confusing as it jumped back and forth in time and between people. Some of the chaacters connection t
Djiezes
Nov 13, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Djiezes by: Dan
Shelves: fiction, my-library
A sci-fi thriller set in the near future. Dianne Morgan, CEO of the largest Operating System company Atlas, unleashes PeaceMaker, an artificial intelligence virus. Ray Brown, a software architect, is in a race against the clock to thwart her plans.
Written by an ex-Microsoft employee. Freely available at http://danronco.com

It definitely made me curious to the sequel: Unholy Domain. And also Tomorrow's Children, the final part of this saga, to be published in spring 2009.
Matt
Nov 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I don’t know if I'd call this "good literature"...whatever that is, but I would say it was entertaining. It's not really an original premise nor does it have extraordinarily interesting characters and often falls into clichés, but despite all of that it was pretty fast paced and kept my interest till the end. It's kind of like if you have ever seen one of those B movies made for TV on the Sci-Fi channel, maybe starring Debbie Gibson or Tiffany. You know it's corny and the special effects are lau ...more
Christine
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
PeaceMaker is a thrilling and suspenseful read packed with memorable characters, witty dialog, and a satisfying dose of computer jargon. Dan Ronco's futuristic techno-world is realistic and its plight all too plausible. The first of a trilogy that promises to probe the blessings and curses of an emerging technological society, PeaceMaker explores a timely question: how much technology is too much?
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I won this book thru Library Thing and I am so glad that I did. The book was an exciting, science-fiction thrill ride that kept me on the edge of my seat. The basic premise is that our technology could be our worst enemy, if not in the right hands. I highly recommend this book to anybody who is a fan of this genre. The book is a very quick read and once you start it, you cannot put it down. I definitely need to read the authors second book of this series.
Chris
Sep 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this book through Goodreads First Reads. It is a fast paced techno-thriller and I read the entire book on a plane trip. The plot is intriguing and deals with the negative consequences of out-of-control artificial intelligence and egocentric, greedy humans. It is full of action and would probably make an exciting movie. I thought the quotes at the beginning of each chapter were clever and definitely added perspective. Just bought the second book in the trilogy.
Bobby
Apr 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of an odd book. The first chapter is so amazing that I reread it before continuing. But it loses steam about 2/3 of the way through. The general theme is also not that fresh or unique. However, it leaves open some interesting directions forward, so I'll probably continue on in the series. Overall, it feels like it had the potential to be fantastic but settled more towards merely good, which makes it seem disappointing.
Dove Harbour
It's strange, this story comes across like hard science fiction, yet it has a fair few cheesy moments and cliches. As for the female characters, I really don't know what to say. It was, however, and tense and interesting read.
Patrick Haga
I really liked this book, it was fast paced and fun to read, i esp liked the style. i look forward to read Dan Ronco's other books.
Amamur
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Review of member giveaway eBook
This is an accomplished techno-thriller. An easy, light read with a Trojan AI set to bring down modern civilization.
This was a very entertaining book.
Rob Harford
May 07, 2008 rated it liked it
Good work for his first novel. Dan Ronco writes about a not-so-distant future where everything is run by computers, and someone is trying to release a virus which could destroy all humanity.
Betty
Kim
Dec 19, 2012
Neil Twomey
Nov 29, 2012
Born into a tough neighborhood in Newark, New Jersey, I learned powerful lessons about family, friendship and violence. My escape was fiction, and I spent many hours reading in the local library. My passion was technology and I went on to gain a BS in Chemical Engineering from NJIT. Not enough challenge. Always fascinated by new technologies, I was awarded a full fellowship at Columbia University ...more

PeaceMaker (3 books)
  • Unholy Domain (PeaceMaker, #2)
  • 2031 (PeaceMaker, #3)