Start by marking “The Book of Story Beginnings” as Want to Read:
The Book of Story Beginnings

The Book of Story Beginnings

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  1,359 Ratings  ·  189 Reviews
Kristin Kladstrup's wonderfully transporting fantasy - featuring a ship full of orphaned pirate children, a pair of warring royals, and plenty of magic potions - is sure to thrill all those who dare turn its pages.

Oscar Martin was fourteen when he mysteriously disappeared from his Iowa farmhouse home in June 1914. His sister claimed Oscar had rowed out to sea - but how was
Published March 14th 2006 by Candlewick Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Story Beginnings, please sign up.

Erin
Dec 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is a wonderful book for a young reader around 10-11 years old. I really enjoyed the feel of the book--it reminded me of Chronicles of Narnia, The Wizard of Oz (the movie), and Inkheart.

The title is a bit ironic since I felt like the beginning of the story really sucked me in while the end was a little more ho-hum. But still worth the read.

I'll pass it along to my daughters because I do think they would enjoy the story.

One small note: part of the story deals with a married couple who are al
haley
Dec 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: middle-grade, meh
I started it in October 2011, lost interest and then reread it (this time finishing) in April 2012.

The beginning chapter or so was ok. It just got boring though. I loved the premise, but it wasn't well executed. Neither main character was interesting to me, and the action felt pointless.

I guess it wasn't for me.
Maryamk514
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this book, it is about Lucy and her family moving to a new home and then she discovers a magical book that belonged to her great Aunt Lavonne that Oscar used to go to a different world. Then Lucy starts going on adventure trying to get Oscar back. It's a very interesting book to read that will keep you wanting to read some more.
Ava C
May 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Lucy loves her life in New York, so when her parents say that they are moving to Iowa, she is very disappointed. She's going to move into her old aunt's house. Her aunt had recently died, but while she was alive she was very much into magic. She had believed that her older brother Oscar had vanished because of it when she was very young. One of Lucy's aunt's items of study was an old book called the Book of Story Beginnings. So when Lucy finds the book and mystical things start happening around ...more
Jane
Jan 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any 4th, 5th or 6th grader. A teacher to read aloud to her class.
Recommended to Jane by: Peggy from Saranac Lake
Shelves: children-s-book
I loved this book
KathKin
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s, fantasy, 2016
Wow, with this title, I really wanted to love this book. But I didn't. It was OK, and I did something I rarely allow myself to do: after about half the book, I skimmed to then end, so I could find out what happened. I am not sure why this book didn't work for me. I felt the two kids were not behaving "realistically" for the situation they are in. I know it's a fantasy books, but people are people no matter what their situation. I never really got engaged by the characters.
Megan
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute and imaginative, but went on a little too long
John
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While in parts a young adult book, it has interesting elements to keep those older readers interested as well. Quite interesting in it's conceptual form with a bit of depth to make the reader happy.

The characters were interesting as was the plot though I found the ending to be a bit rushed. Not a problem for younger readers but those of us who look at motivations and how plots fall together might be mildly disappointed that more time wasn't spent.

Either way, I did enjoy it and would encourage ot
papasteve
Dear Kristin Kladstrup,
I'm sorry. I didn't totally enjoy your book. There were several times I was tempted to just close it out on my Kindle and relegate it to the archive. But I didn't. You wrote it. I started reading it. I should see it through to the end, so I did. I'm not a quitter.
In writing this to you, I realize that I have a huge disqualifier. I'm an adult. You didn't write this book for me. You wrote it for pre-teens. I tried to get myself into that mindset, but I'm too far gone--too fa
Peter Beissinger
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I may just be too old (23, for reference), but this book simply did nothing for me.

Pacing was very slow and not for any obvious reason. Nearly a third of the way into the book, I still couldn't figure out if anything meaningful had happened yet. When the plot finally began, it moved slowly, and I didn't feel many of the developments were particularly rewarding.

Dialogue killed me. The characters speak in wordy, matter-of-fact voices, and they don't have natural exchanges. Here's a made-up exampl
Too much writing. 1 6 Jan 17, 2013 09:56AM
  • The Palace of Laughter (The Wednesday Tales, #1)
  • The Faerie Door
  • Landon Snow and the Auctor's Riddle (Landon Snow, #1)
  • Emma and the Blue Genie
  • Magical Mischief
  • The Secret Order of the Gumm Street Girls
  • The Treasures of Weatherby
  • Magic in the Park
  • Falcon Quinn and the Crimson Vapor (Falcon Quinn, #2)
  • Beswitched
  • Thresholds (Magic Next Door, #1)
  • Magic Below Stairs
  • Come Fall
  • The Kindling (Middle School Magic #1)
  • Haunted Animals
  • Chews Your Destiny (Gumazing Gum Girl, #1)
  • Storyteller
  • Red Madrassa (Algardis, #1)
Kristin Kladstrup is the author of the middle-grade novel THE BOOK OF STORY BEGINNINGS and the picture book THE GINGERBREAD PIRATES. She lives near Boston, Massachusetts.
More about Kristin Kladstrup...
“But don’t you think there some stories that are more alive than that? When you put certain books back on the shelf, don’t you feel as if the people inside are going on with their lives after the story is over?” Lucy felt that way about most of the books she loved.” 10 likes
“When you're a cat, most of the time you're thinking about cat things. Little movements in the grass, cupboards that aren't quite closed, patches of sunlight on rocks, narrow places at the backs of closets - you're always noticing those things. You can't help yourself. It's boring if you think about it, but you don't think about it because you're a cat. ... sometimes you know what people want. You don't always care; but you know what they want.” 6 likes