Start by marking “Centerburg Tales” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Centerburg Tales

Robert McCloskey

Centerburg Tales (Homer Price #2)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  1,432 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Further adventures of Homer Price, including those in which a juke box sets the whole town singing against its will and in which a mad scientist develops weeds that overrun the town.
Published October 27th 1977 by Turtleback Books (first published 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Centerburg Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Centerburg Tales

Eyehavenofilter
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annnd Homer is at it again! Trouble mayhem and chaos just seems to circle him like satellites I know the feeling...but it's much more fun to read about Homers experiences than to,live through mine.he seems to skin across the surface of trouble unscathed, a quality I greatly admire.
Written very tongue in cheek, this is a wonderfully quaint look back in time that anyone of a"certain age " will enjoy!
Edel
Jul 23, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a small town Centerburg has an awful lot happening there. The best places in town for all the local gossip seems to be the barbershop where you can get a shave or haircut, read the magazines and catch up on everything happening in town. The local restaurantis another hotspot where fresh tasty donuts are one of the main specialitys , and this is where the best chats seem to happen.
This book was very enjoyable and the characters are very loveable and memorable. My favourites are Homer and his
David Ward
Feb 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adults
Centerburg Tales: More Adventures of Homer Price (Homer Price #2) by Robert McCloskey (Perfection Learning 1977) (Fiction - Children's). In the town of Centerburg where our boy Homer Price lives, everyone knows everything about each other. It's not that folks are nosy; it's just a small town. Interesting things happen there though, and Homer always seems to be at the center of the excitement. This is a series of stories; my favorite since childhood has been the mysterious phonograph record in th ...more
Dominick
OK, this is a weird book. It's a sequel to Homer Price, but whereas that book (as far as I remember) was whimsical but ultimately not fantastical, this one crosses the line into a couple of strange fairy-tale like stories. We start with tall tales told by Grampa Hercules (many characters derive their names from classical mythology, with no other discernible connection to their namesakes), and the delight the kids take in them. They're amusing (though with some troublingly racist--by 21st century ...more
blake
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terrific book, all the better for not feeling like it's been strained through a suite of lawyers, editors and "concerned parents". It's got a great voice, and Homer's character is both kind and wise, without being precocious, as is a common cop-out in children's literature.

For example, the first set of stories are tall tales told by Homer's grandfather, who still wields powerful authority over Homer's uncle's generation (from when they were kids). Wonderful as they are (and very much Twain inspi
Wayne Walker
Dec 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read McClosky’s Homer Price a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Homer lives outside of Centerburg, a small town in Ohio near the Indiana border, where he and his friend Freddy go to school, he helps out in Uncle Ulysses’s lunchroom, and he listens to Grandpa Hercules’s stories. Centerburg Tales contains the further adventures of Homer, his friends, and his family. These stories have the aura of tall tales, and I suspect that everyone who has read the book has his favorite one.

It might be
Elizabeth
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-ya
Lydia
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Homer and the residents of Centerburg, OH are back with more crazy stories, tall tales and wacky inventions!

Kind of a collection of short stories (feels a lot like episodes of The Andy Griffith Show); Grandpa Herc's stories and the almost trouble they get him into, hayfever sufferers' worst nightmare nearly coming to pass, the curse of the song that get's stuck in your head and more. If small town Americana is your thing, you will love this!

Content notes: Non-politically correct and not meant

Janene
Feb 18, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
Ben, seven years old: "I didn't really like it"
Zach, nine years old: "It was OK" {shrug} "I didn't really like Grandpa Herc's personality, how he got offended too easily"
Sean, four years old: "I liked the part where the horses and the Indians were going past."

Me, thirty-something: It was a good continuation of the happenings in the town of Centerburg, but ever since that fantastic donut machine story, almost nothing from Homer Price has quite measured up. The boys looked forward to it and didn't
Wilber Portillo
I think it was pretty good but it might need to work on making the tales a little more action you now more fun something that makes me give it a 5 star.I liked many parts of the book the part I liked most was when the weed plant was grown and they try to get reed of it b/c is was making everyone sick and it was killing people. I would recommend this book for the people that like suspense and action.
Cherie Loar
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this to Caleb and found it enjoyable for myself, but probably enjoyed it mostly because he loved it so much and laughed his way through it. It has a classic 'old town' feel that I enjoy. As soon as we finished it, Caleb immediately wanted to start it again. There are some politically incorrect attitudes and terms in this book, but they aren't strong and I didn't find them offensive as they are time-period accurate and not vulgar, in my opinion.
Alger
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking at my bookshelf and realizing that it had been twenty years since I read this book. So I picked it up and *poof* instant nostalgia for a time that never existed and a place that is nowhere.
These are not great literature, they are not classic teaching parables, they are just some of the best throw-away summer reading for children that has ever been put to paper. Great fun.
Wayne
Jan 15, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, juvenile
I loved the first book about Homer Price and his home town as a kid. When I found out that there was a second book recently I had to read it. Unfortunatley I was dissapointed. The stories feel a bit more scattered are a bit more outlandish. They all fit into the tall-tale category, but they didn't hold the same appeal that the first book did.
Beth Anne
Jul 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud, 2015
Listened to the audiobook with Emma and Will. They loved it just as much as the original, but I found this one a bit over the top to really enjoy. Instead of each chapter being its own stand alone story, the story was continuous and more like a series of tall tales.
Dan
Jun 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the essence of homespun humor. Grandpa Hercules' stories are hilarious, as is the way they confound his listeners' sense of credulity. I don't wanna overthink it but this book is as good as any exploration of the way that stories can be true whether or not they really happened that way.
Julie
Apr 10, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't think we've ever successfully made it through this book. It's such a snorefest that Homer himself is sleeping on the cover. Such a disappointment after the wonder and magical storytelling in "Homer Price."
Selah Pike
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rounded up from 4.5 stars. Not quite as charming as the original Homer Price, but still completely adorable. Favorite quote:
"Tomesimes," said the sheriff sadly, "I wix my mords all up, but sis thuff ixxes 'em mup so I don't even snow what I'm krying to snay!"
John Bush
Aug 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book years ago as a child and enjoyed it then. On rereading it, I still find it to be amusing. Yes, it is a bit dated, but I think that adds to its charm. Homer Price's world of small town America is gone now, but it is fun to recall.
Cynthia Egbert
I actually liked this one better than the original Homer Price. Nobody does silly quite as well as Robert McCloskey. Your kids will love these books and if you come from a small town, you will appreciate the citizens of Centerburg.
Aug 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children/fans of homer
I found this book in a library sale was was thrilled- I hadn't read the original book in years, but these charming tales are almost as good as the original. Great to visit familiar characters, but try to read "Homer Price" first.
Le-li Hollins
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A pretty ok book.
Kate
Jul 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a continuation of his Homer Price which I loved as a child. Love the Tall Tales the grandfather tells.
Pretzelgirl
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Close examinations on the further doings in Centerburg, the stomping ground of Homer Price. Not to be missed on any account. Enchanting.
Sofia
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a bit disappointed because there was only one story that was different from the ones in the other books. But the one story was good!
Maren
Apr 15, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I like the first book, Homer Price, a bit better--but this was also fun to read (most especially as I read it with my very own Homer Price :).
♠ Tabi ♠
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even funnier than Homer Price! Grandpa Hercules was a hoot; loved his “stories”!
And then of course for the last story, now I’ve got those jingles stuck in my head!
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been reading this in the morning to Jacob before he boards the bus! It is great! It is laugh out loud funny at times.
Ellie
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ah.....I love these stories. :) The only reason I didn't give this book five stars was the last story, which I always found a bit sinister as a younger kid.
Jill
Oct 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We love Homer Price. This is just good storytelling, relaxed, full of tangents, and a bit exaggerated.
Brenda
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
More fun from Robert McCloskey. The characters are all really big and left us rolling with laughter.
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • Spiderweb for Two: A Melendy Maze
  • The Trolley Car Family
  • Tucker's Countryside
  • Freddy Goes to Florida
  • Cotton In My Sack
  • Paddington at Large (Paddington, #5)
  • The Mad Scientists' Club (Mad Scientists' Club, #1)
  • Leif the Lucky
  • The Little Riders
  • Otis Spofford (Ellen & Otis, #2)
  • Betsy and the Boys
  • Kildee House
  • More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain #2)
  • All Alone
John Robert McCloskey (September 15, 1914 – June 30, 2003) was an American writer and illustrator of children's books. He both wrote and illustrated eight picture books and won two Caldecott Medals from the American Library Association recognizing the year's best-illustrated picture book. Four of those eight books were set in Maine: Blueberries for Sal, One Morning in Maine, Time of Wonder, and Bu ...more
More about Robert McCloskey...

Homer Price (2 books)

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99