Start by marking “Finding Anna (Music of the Heart #1)” as Want to Read:
Finding Anna (Music of the Heart #1)

Finding Anna

(Music of the Heart #1)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  145 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A Powerful Historical Drama Based on the Story Behind The Hymn "It Is Well With My Soul"

This historical novel opens on the eve of the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 and explores the resulting two-year drama, heartbreak, and redemption that shaped the life of one of America’s great hymn writers--Horatio Gates Spafford.

A poignant novel of relationships, Finding Anna follows Spaf
Published October 1st 2005 by Bethany House Publishers (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Finding Anna, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Finding Anna

Melissa
This book started out with excitement (speaking of the Great Chicago Fire), then slowed down some, but all in all it was interesting. There were some hints of feminism, but mostly I think Anna merely wanted to be treated with due respect and feel free to speak her mind. There are times when we shouldn't speak our minds, though (and our husbands are to be the leaders of the home). There were also times when the characters supposedly heard God's voice, which I strongly question, as I don't think t ...more
Dana Kennedy
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
note: this is the first in a series. I want to keep a look out for more upcoming titles
Tyler Adams
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Don't let the cover fool you. This is not about two love birds finding each other across the sea. This is about a marriage drifting--at one point literally--apart.

The story is an historical fiction account of H.G. Spafford and his wife Anna as they struggle to keep their marriage going despite financial, spiritual, and emotional trauma. You may never have heard of these two people, but you have heard the hymn H.G. wrote: It Is Well. Schaub doesn't focus on the history of the events. Sure, the hi
Katie
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a historical fiction based on the life of the man who wrote one of my favorite songs. Loved this story and I love the song even more now.
Donna Doyle
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Powerful. Covered historical events through Christian eyes. I am kind of humbled.
Becky
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Although I found the writing good, I thought the thoughts and the actions of the characters opposite from the deep theology found in the words of Horatio Spafford's song "It Is Well With My Soul." I found myself disappointed and wish the author would have given more of her research. The marital issues the author implied were a significant part of her story. Despite her stating that this is clearly a work of fiction and that she was letting facts getting in the way of writing a good story, I was ...more
Mmtimes4
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it

A poignant novel of relationships, Finding Anna follows Spafford and his wife, Anna, as they struggle to find common ground before their divided loyalties tear apart their marriage once
Karen
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Finding Anna is about finding faith during hard times. The Horatio Gates Spafford family knew tragedy starting with the Chicago fire in 1871. They were a young family with four daughters, a nice home, and Gates had a promising career. Following the devastating fire they put their pain and grief in ministering to others and helped in rebuilding the city. However, Anna was lonely with Gates so busy serving others and became depressed, threatening their relationship. In an effort to save their marr ...more
Patti
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I am torn on this one. I liked it, I was bored with it kinda, but I still wanted to find out what happens. Then I got a little frustrated with the main character. Seemed to be sad all the time and not helping herself, but then I thought..well, she is depressed, what do you expect. Just when I decide I didn't care for the story, I find out it was partly based on a true story. Then I was like.. well, if that is the case.. I LIKE IT! So I would give it 3.5 stars. It was a bit preachy and there were ...more
Rhonda
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
This was a really good read.
I like history, especially when they write it as Historical Fiction.
This book pretty much starts with the Chicago Fire and destroyed the city.
One family, who are real people in history, takes up the challenge to help rebuild and give back to the masses. But it takes it's tole on them, and the tragedies that happen along the way will break your heart. But it's their faith in God that keeps pulling them back together and through the worse of times.
I would recommend this
Elizabeth Dyck
Where to begin with a novel like this…

The Story of Horatio Gates Spafford, the writer of one of the most loved hymns in America, “It Is Well With My Soul” (When Peace Like a River).

The book begins with the great Chicago Fire. Gates (as he is referred to in the book) and his wife Anna and their four daughters work to pick their lives back up. Not long after Gates puts his wife and daughters set for Europe.

A few days into the journey their ship gets struck by a bigger one. Only Anna survives.

From
Liz
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
A beautifully written novel about love lost and found. The struggles and how the characters react to them are very real and authentic which I loved. God's grace and providence are very evident in this book and though it's wrought with tragedy, the faith of those in the middle of it remains unwavering. The tie-in of the song 'It is Well' was perfectly articulated. I recommend this for anyone who struggles and is looking for hope.
Christy
Mar 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite Christian historical fictions, although, okay, I haven't read a ton of those. This is the story behind the hymn "It Is Well With My Soul". Touching, beautiful novel. I haven't read #2 yet...
Slumbering Rose
3.6 out of 5.

It wasn't what I expected.…It focused more on the life and feelings of Anna than I'd thought, and some pieces of the story were different from what I'd previously known. But it was a good book nonetheless.
Yvonne Carter
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Story of a family and the tragedies of losing children in Chicago fire. GLives life to service and composes hymns
Ann
Oct 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the chicago history
Recommended to Ann by: A client of mine gave it to me as a gift. Dr hanson from Alaska
I really liked this story about Chicago, the fire and the start up of the Moody Church..a great story in 1871 of a Swedish couple and the tragic fire event.
Sue
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great story about the disasters that happened to the Spafford family. The husband went on to write the hymn "It is Well with my Soul."
Megan
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
This one was a heart wrencher. I locked myself in my room and cried as a finished this. I really hate these kind of books because I am not the same for a couple of days.
Melissa
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Story behind the song "It is Well With My Soul." Slow at times but moving.
Sarah Holmen
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
Karol
I quickly got caught up in this story. It spoke to me about the loneliness a married woman can feel when her husband is never there.
Jane
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jane by: Crossings Book Club
Excellent - based on the story behind the hymn "It Is Well With My Soul" written by Spafford.
Mysterylady
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved the book and would like to read more like it.
Trish
Tony
rated it it was ok
Jun 27, 2014
Lorraine
rated it did not like it
Sep 25, 2009
Kelley
Jan 06, 2016
Donna
rated it it was ok
Feb 05, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • No Graven Image
  • Driven With the Wind  (Cheney Duvall, M.D., #8)
  • Legacy (Journeys of the Stranger #1)
  • The Fiery Ring: 1928 (The House of Winslow, #28)
  • A Crown in the Stars (Genesis, #3)
  • A New Dawn Over Devon (Secrets of Heathersleigh Hall, #4)
  • Dark Enough to See the Stars in a Jamestown Sky
  • All the Tea in China
  • Let Go: Live Free of the Burdens All Women Know
  • Wednesday's Child (A Day to Remember, #3)

Music of the Heart (3 books)
  • The Longing Season (Music of the Heart #2)
  • The Tender Light (Music of the Heart #3)