Start by marking “The Dreamkeepers: Successful Teachers of African American Children” as Want to Read:
The Dreamkeepers: Successful Teachers of African American Children

The Dreamkeepers: Successful Teachers of African American Children

Education, like electricity, needs a conduit, a teacher, through which to transmit its power-- i.e., the discovery and continuity of information, knowledge, wisdom, experience, and culture. Through the stories and experiences of eight successful teacher-transmitters, The Dreamkeepers keeps hope alive for educating young African Americans.

--ReverAnd Jesse L. Jackson, presi
Published January 29th 1997 by Jossey-Bass (first published January 29th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Dreamkeepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dreamkeepers

Start your review of The Dreamkeepers: Successful Teachers of African American Children
Audrey
Apr 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, teaching
Gloria Ladson-Billings spent two years observing highly effective teachers in an underprivileged, predominantly african-american district. She asked parents and administrators to list teachers they considered highly effective, then chose the names that appeared on both lists. She uses anecdotes from those observations, interwoven with her own memories, to distill several hallmarks of culturally relevant teaching. In brief, they come down to this: 1) Treat your students with respect. 2) Remember ...more
Craig Werner
Jun 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'll begin by saying that Gloria Ladson-Billings is a colleague whose work has had a major and constructive impact on the field of urban and multicultural education. Her notion of culturally relevant pedagogy works better than any other approach I've encountered in approaching the real life needs of diverse classrooms. Although the title emphasizes the relevance to African American children, culturally relevant pedagogy can be extended to all different sorts of classroom situations. Without mini ...more
Hannah
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mostly just shocked that it's taken me seven years in education-as-social-justice to read this cover to cover (id read many chapters and excerpts before). We're reading it as part of onboarding our 2016 teachers and it's SO good. Not sure how "possible" it would've felt as a brand new teacher, so that's why I'm reading Crossing Over Into Canaan next - also about culturally relevant teaching, but with a focus on new teachers. Definitely glad I read and recommend for all education peeps!
Amanda
In [Derrick Bell's] discussion of the impact of school desegregation laws, Bell argues that the real beneficiaries of school desegregation are the schools, the white communities, and the white students.

I appreciated the focus on several different types of teachers in this book and the spotlight on how they specifically combated racial bias in the classroom. Ladson-Billings laid out specific things teachers could do to combat bias, which I found to be particularly helpful.

This book dealt with tea
Alexandra
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Wonderfully written narratives about these dreamkeepers. The methodology was well grounded and very interesting for those engaged in researching educators. A lot to think about after this read.
Micah
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
A wonderful exploration and analysis of what is needed to be a successful teacher of African American students. This text explores several case-studies but adds a meaningful organization of themes that helps the aspiring and practicing teacher recognize what areas of competency and understanding are needed. Strength-based, truthful, and inspirational; I wish I had found this earlier in my teaching career.
Kelsey
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-for-thought
Ladson-Billings writes about eight teachers whose culturally relevant teaching practices have proven successful at helping African American children achieve excellence. I appreciated the structure of the chapters, as well as the snapshots of effective teaching demonstrated in creative ways. Although these observations were from 1988-1990, these approaches to teaching remain relevant today.
Katherine
Jul 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
an easy yet powerful read. good for teachers, non -teachers, anyone remotely interested in social justice. from the beginning she works from the understanding that race is important. maybe we should all be "equal", but we're not, and pretending everything is balanced is a disservice to children, especially african american children. very good. there's hope.
Marva
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book for anyone who wants to understand what it means to be a teacher. There is so much more to education that teachers commit to; they must become allies and saviors, disciplinarians and nurturers, and do so while understanding that each child—no matter their race, gender, or family background—is different and deserves a chance to excel.
Meredith Martelli
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I write this review as a white woman who will be teaching in an African American school in the fall. I was recommended this book and I am generally pleased with what I learned. However, I think that taking time to really reflect and write about my reading experience is crucial. While reading, I actually started to feel pressure and anxiety. How can I be as good as these women the author highlights? I am not ready. I am not strong enough. I am not smart enough. My implicit bias is too blinding. W ...more
Joe Totterdell
“No challenge has been more daunting than that of improving the academic achievement of African American students. Burdened with a history that includes the denial of education, separate and unequal education, and relegation to unsafe, substandard inner-city schools, the quest for quality education remains an elusive dream for the African American community. However, it does remain a dream—perhaps the most powerful for the people of African descent in this nation.”

Gloria Ladson-Billings is curr
Judy
Sep 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book highlights the stories of successful teachers of culturally relevant pedagogy, including the characteristics they embodied and the strategies they used with their students in their classrooms. I really appreciated the values and ideas of culturally relevant pedagogy put forth in these stories, especially as they are so important and still resonate for teachers in the field today. I think focusing on specific exemplary teachers and classroom experiences takes away from the bigger struct ...more
Kahliah
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great read. For many it affirms what you're doing is right, for others it challenges how you practice teaching, you ask questions you will get answers, you will change some things and you'll understand your students better. Truly this book is written for all and all students can benefit from the knowledge gained from it.
Olivia
One of the better books I've had to read for class - it's a little dated at this point (I would love to see an updated study in a similar vein as this), but worth the read. Some of Ladson-Billing's tenets for successful teachers of African American children seem obviously, but they are worth saying, and so well-put. And her research argues her case nicely.
Christopher Garrett
I have this book 3 stars just based on the old content. The teaching practices are great and I highly suggest this for anyone who teaches children of color. It opened my eyes to many things I wish I did while in the classroom to build a stronger community and establish stronger relationships with my scholars and families.
Madler
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such am important book. I’ll be weaving this content into my courses and looking for a way to get it in as a required reading. An ideal book for anyone who work in any capacity with African American students.
Kathleen Daley
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and many of the classroom suggestions the author discussed. However, I felt most of the ideas are applicable to all students, rather than any one particular race.
Holly
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Especially poignant for teachers but a thoughtful for anybody who wants to understand more about cultural literacy in a charged climate. Well-written and full of humanity.
Ellen
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was already excited to become a teacher, but after reading this book I'm inspired to work even harder to become a great teacher.
Laura Mansfield
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This should be a required read for all teachers.
Salamah
Oct 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
I needed this for school. Very insightful and will hopefully help with my research.
Kathryn
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very informative! Great content!
Joanna
Jul 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finally got to read this and really took a lot from her rich descriptions of effective teachers.
Teuta Selimi
Jul 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Every new teacher should read this book!
Jen
Nov 01, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book intertwined personal stories of the author, instructional methods of about ten successful teachers of black children, and data about children of color. Personally I found it dry, and very fragmented. I think it would have been a better read if she had profiled each teacher in a chapter at a time, illustrating why they were successful. Because it was dispersed throughout the whole book, the author kept having to re-introduce each teacher.

The book had many examples for teachers of color or t
Kb
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Though based on research conducted over twenty years ago, Dreamkeepers remains relevant. Despite the hopeful tone throughout, we are left with a sense of dramatic irony both during and after reading because we know all along that little has improved in twenty years. The best gift I got from this book is hyper-awareness of my own educational background and, by extension, my reasons for getting into teaching. I've already known that, as someone who enjoyed formal schooling and achieved a fair amou ...more
Tonya
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think out of all the books I have read so far during my college experience that really teaches me how to become a culturally responsive teacher this one is the best by far. I love the way the author draws from her own experiences as a child and relates them to the current teachers that her study is about. I like how she uses the art of specificity as her writing craft. She does this so well when describing the teachers and it really helps me to imagine each and every person she is talking abou ...more
Adam
What do you do when you run out of books on vacation? You grab your little brothers stack of educational reading.

Beyond presenting the story of eight exceptional teachers, Ladson-Billings offers a critical examination of how we present 'knowledge' and for whom schools are designed.

For educators looking to make a difference but not able to do so, there is much here to be gained. For those thinking they are doing a great job but not sure of how they might not be, 'Dreamkeepers' can be an eye open
Jamie
Aug 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Overall a very interesting read with a lot of challenging concepts and alternatives for the education system. A lot of great ideals for how to teach students that could easily be applied to all walks of life, but especially low-income schools and areas. 3 (and a half) stars given, however, since the book is now a bit dated (as admitted in the forward for the new edition which is already an additional handful of years old) and needs to be assimilated with current conditions and practices to get a ...more
Hayley
May 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Research is dated, but nevertheless offers important investigations and observations into the varying degrees that educators consider/utilize cultural diversity in their teaching approaches. Also highlights the impact of making such cultural and personal connections between students & curriculum as well as the positive impact on students as they shape their own identity and personal expectations...ever so important in the one sized fits all approach of the over tested environments that students ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Culturally Responsive Teaching and the Brain: Promoting Authentic Engagement and Rigor Among Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
  • For White Folks Who Teach in the Hood... and the Rest of Y'all Too: Reality Pedagogy and Urban Education
  • Other People's Children: Cultural Conflict in the Classroom
  • We Want to Do More Than Survive: Abolitionist Teaching and the Pursuit of Educational Freedom
  • "These Kids Are Out of Control": Why We Must Reimagine "Classroom Management" for Equity
  • "Multiplication Is for White People": Raising Expectations for Other People's Children
  • "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria?": A Psychologist Explains the Development of Racial Identity
  • Culturally Sustaining Pedagogies: Teaching and Learning for Justice in a Changing World
  • Developing Readers in the Academic Disciplines
  • Courageous Conversations about Race: A Field Guide for Achieving Equity in Schools
  • Start Where You Are, But Don’t Stay There: Understanding Diversity, Opportunity Gaps, and Teaching in Today’s Classrooms
  • Amazing Grace: The Lives of Children and the Conscience of a Nation
  • Stony the Road: Reconstruction, White Supremacy, and the Rise of Jim Crow
  • Savage Inequalities: Children in America's Schools
  • Privilege, Power, and Difference
  • Integrating Differentiated Instruction and Understanding by Design: Connecting Content and Kids
  • Decolonizing Wealth: Indigenous Wisdom to Heal Divides and Restore Balance