Start by marking “The Lord Of The Rings: The Art Of The Return Of The King” as Want to Read:
The Lord Of The Rings: The Art Of The Return Of The King

The Lord Of The Rings: The Art Of The Return Of The King (The Art of The Lord of the Rings #3)

4.53  ·  Rating details ·  7,585 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
With Peter Jackson's Acadamy Award-winning epic motion picture trilogy drawing to a spectacular and triumphant close, Gary Russell's detailed research takes us back into the world of Middle-earth, to relive all the visual drama and excitement of The Return of the King.

The Art of The Return of the King illustrates the creative development of the film from sketch to special
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Lord Of The Rings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lord Of The Rings

Andrew
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
And so the series draws to a close and I guess it has a similar feeling to that when I sat in the theatre watching the final credits roll at the end of The Return of the King. Reading through this trilogy you get a sense of enormity of the film series and the sheer amount of work that went in to it - both in front and behind the camera.

I guess there are many unsung heroes of any film but one as impressive as this deserve recognition and this book is an incredible monument to their abilities.

To
Steven.l
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, well, well. This is the last and final book in the Lord of the Rings series. The climax of the whole series is finally here. Throughout the book, the book is full of suspense. Before Frodo reached Mount Doom, he was confronted with extreme obstacles and other characters, whether evil or good. Before the final climax of the book, the author's tone is always suspenseful, doubtfull. J.R.R Tolkien written the book this way so that readers can understand how treacherous the task is for Frodo a ...more
Arma
Nov 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is beautiful I love it
Inge
Feb 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tekenen
Well I really liked it. Just to see what the used and what they drew to make it into a movie.
Gabriel Dickerson
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very emotional and descriptive filled with new environments. The story has many interesting facts and settings but as the story continues, i happen to lose control what happened before. The setting changes quickly but overall the book was interesting to read. If you like magical environments and shared emotions upon a amazing journey, take time to read this book.
Parka
Nov 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-books, movies

(More pictures at parkablogs.com)

The Art of The Two Towers is one of the three art books for The Lord of the Rings. The other two being The Art of The Fellowship of the Ring and The Art of The Two Towers. Also available in one condensed edition of these three art books is The Art of the Lord of the Rings.

The review you read here will be roughly the same as the ones for other books.

The three volume collects over 500 images each, consisting pencils sketches, paintings and sculptures. These are th
Devon
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Randal Schmidt
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible look at the concept art behind "The Return of the King". If you like art at all, you will love this book. If you like the Lord of the Rings, you will love this book. If you like art and the Lord of the Rings like I do, then you will think this book is amazing.

Definitely would recommend this to anyone with even a passing interest in the Lord of the Rings. For those of us who are huge Lord of the Rings fans, and who also love art, this book is a must read. The only downside really is th
Sandra
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the review I wrote for the Art Of The Two Towers, but it still very much applies. My favourite parts in this book were Gondor, the Mûmakil, Éowyn as a warrior/Éowyn defeating the Witch King & the Epilogue.

Fabulous fast read, though this is not a book to be read in the most literal sense. This book is filled with over 500 concept sketches for the Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers. The only text are the short explanations by the artists, and the fore- and afterword.

But what a beauti
Violetta
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final installment of The Lord of the Rings saga, The Return of the King, was the culmination of around 7 years of work for the cast and crew. With approx. 500 illustrations in this companion volume, fans can get a sense, not only of how much work went in to the final film, but also that no one involved was giving any less than their all to the process. No one stood back and said, "Well, we've got a bunch of stuff already done for the previous movies, let's just rehash some of that and finish ...more
Rose
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading all three of these books focusing on the talented artists and the tireless work they did to help make Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movie trilogy a reality! If you didn't get enough in the first two books, then get excited because this book is the LONGEST of them all! There are detailed sections on Ithilien, Minas Tirith, Dunharrow, the Paths of the Dead, Minas Morgul, the Siege of Gondor, Shelob's Liar, Cirith Ungol, the Pelennor Fields, the Black Gates, Mordor, and ...more
Wiktoria
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely recommended to all fans of the LotR films as well as to people interested in film-making. The drawings and sketches by John Howe and Alan Lee are beautiful, even if they are supposed to depict evil places such as Mordor. I particularly enjoyed the detailed information and drawings presenting the costumes of Rohan characters such as king Theoden and Eowyn. The book primarily concentrates on the designs for buildings and landscapes, but cosplayers would also find some useful data here, ...more
Aaron Peterson
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy this book because it is Lord of the Rings and how can you not love Lord of the Rings. I would recommend this book to people who love fantasy and want a book that is hard to put down. I would also recommend this book to people that have seen the movies because the book gives you a whole different outlook on the story and how it is told. So in conclusion I would recommend this book to people that love fantasy and love a good book that is hard to put down.
Kendall
it has been quite a while since I have seen this movie, so that may have took down my rating a bit. also, I came into this after reading about the making of the dark knight, my favorite movie trilogy ever, so I may have not given this a fair chance.
Kristy
Oct 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-books
Again, I am seriously amazed at how much behind the scenes work went on with this movie. I mean of course, I knew it was a lot of work, but NEVER did I imagine all of the countless pictures and paintings and ideas that led up to the finished product that we all know and love.
Rory
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful!! It was exciting to see all the stuff that the team worked on to make The Return of the King. I am eager to check out The Art of the Two Towers and The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring! Peter Jackson is a pure genius.
Samantha
This is one of the better "art of" books, but there are a lot of interesting designs that are shown too small. And the text is minimal. That said, if you like LOTR, you'll like the book.
Miss Clark
Sep 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, film-and-tv
Any fan of the films will enjoy looking at the sketches and concept art of the weapons and costumes and sets.
Jeffrey
Jun 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, literature
Nothing to say. Should I?
Kate
Sep 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful collection of concepts, characters, and enviroment designs. Makes me really want to strive in illustrations and concept art seeing this lovely art compiled book.
Michael
Sep 07, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The film's increasingly uniform designs and insistence on "historical accuracy" really decreased my overall enjoyment with the sole exception being the beautiful architecture of Minas Tirith.
Mason
Dec 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this is a book that rely tells and shows tha great artistic movement both in the book and movie
Kione
Jan 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading again and again...
Julius Canon
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Edle Julve
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una obra de arte de la literatura fantástica.
Stevepelickii
Jun 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful!
Lady Dragonbat
beautiful artwork
Karl Nordenstorm
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read, loved, and tried to recreate something like 50% of the pictures. Maybe spent 50 hours with the series after school at "fritids" before going home.
Dottie Dockery
  • The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - Chronicles III: Art & Design
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode III—Revenge of the Sith
  • The Art of Mulan
  • The Art of Drew Struzan
  • The Rough Guide to the Lord of the Rings: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Middle-Earth
  • The Art of the Matrix
  • The Art of Finding Nemo
  • The Art of George R.R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire
  • The Art of The Lion King
  • The Magical Worlds of Lord of the Rings: The Amazing Myths, Legends and Facts Behind the Masterpiece
  • The Art of Monsters, Inc.
  • The Art of Star Wars: Episode V—The Empire Strikes Back
Gary Russell is one of the script editing team for Doctor Who, Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures, and the author of many novels and reference books in the Doctor Who range. A former editor of Doctor Who Magazine, he also was the producer of Doctor Who audio dramas for Big Finish Productions for eight years. He was also an actor and is best known for his role as Dick in the 1978 television se ...more
More about Gary Russell...

The Art of The Lord of the Rings (4 books)
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Art of The Fellowship of the Ring
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Art of The Two Towers
  • The Art of The Lord of the Rings

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“A wizard is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.” 392 likes