Start by marking “Eleanor Roosevelt” as Want to Read:
Eleanor Roosevelt

Eleanor Roosevelt (DK Biography)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
DK's Biography series for young readers features one of the best-known and most inspiring women of the 20th century Eleanor Roosevelt. A biography of the First Lady who, despite her shyness, followed her conscience and devoted her life to helping others and working for peace. Supports the Common Core State Standards."
Published February 20th 2006 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley) (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Eleanor Roosevelt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eleanor Roosevelt

Joan
I don't know why DK discontinued their biography series, but as far as I know they did, after a pretty short run. This title was superb and I suspect others in the series were as well. Maybe they will bring it back with Common Core? One can hope.

I've read other biographies of Eleanor Roosevelt but for a short juvenile book, this covered her life incredibly well! I wondered if it would cover the affair of Roosevelt and Lucy Mercer. Not only did it mention the original affair, it informed readers
Laura Verret
I present to you one of the most powerful women in American history!

Her Life.

Eleanor was a Roosevelt all of her life. Born to Elliott and Anna Roosevelt, she was immediately treated to the full luxury and privileges of the Roosevelt clan – but these were not enough to soothe her pain when first her mother, then her father succumbed to death while she was still a child.

Eleanor was raised primarily by her grandmother who, though she had certain rules for Eleanor, also gave her much freedom. These
Cathi
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great little biography, meant for children but also very interesting to me. I learned a lot about Mrs. Roosevelt and the many struggles she faced in life, from her painful early childhood through her awkward young adult years and into her marriage, which certainly wasn't the best. She's an example of one who endured hardships (everything from her husband's infidelity to his challenge with polio) and didn't give up when life got hard. Whether you agree with her politics or not, she is a ...more
Talissa
May 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book follows Eleanor Roosevelt's life from childhood into old age, describing what she did with her years as well as what she felt about certain events. I enjoyed it, and Mrs. Roosevelt is now one of my favorite people from history. She had a mind of her own, and transformed the world with words, ideas and actions. The story was so good, I stayed up hours after the sun had gone down reading it. Not only about the person herself, it also explained what the world was like at the time and how ...more
Gabrielle Clements
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Eleanor Roosevelt was a fantastic book. The book says since it’s a picture book it’s for small children, but I really liked it. Eleanor is an amazing woman. She went through so many trials as a young child and even as an adult. I hope to learn from her how to be a strong and independent woman. The pictures in this book where super cool the way they depicted how kind she was. Eleanor loved children. I think what she did with and for children was cool. She was so kind to everyone she met. Every si ...more
Robin
A great addition to any upper elementary or middle school library. Full of photgraphs. Sawyer clearly places Roosevelt in her historical setting. Any kid reading this book will understand how important Roosevelt's work was to our country and will also know why so many of us still admire her. Touches on just enough of her personal tragedies to keep young teens reading.
Aideeeee
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Parecía que estaba leyendo un artículo en Wikipedia.

Y aunque sé que esta serie de libros va dirigida al público juvenil, me pareció una redacción muy cursi, a ratos ridícula y también lame botas. Que patada con las frases que eligen los editores para caer bien a los jóvenes...

Contra todo, me sirvió para interesarme (de más) en la vida de Eleanor Roosvelt así que ok.
Dana C.
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Some of the book reads like a family scrapbook being shared. I was disappointed that a book for children focused a bit of attention on Mr. Roosevelt's affair.
Shannon Clark
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a well written biography about Eleanor Roosevelt who helped a lot of people have better lives. Would be very easy for students to read and understand.
Bap
Sep 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Another excellent DK biography from Kem Sawyer.
Alison Schneider
Abby Rogers
Feb 25, 2012
Liam Killian
Dec 02, 2016

DK Biography (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Gandhi