Start by marking “Project Retrospectives” as Want to Read:
Project Retrospectives

Project Retrospectives

With detailed scenarios, imaginative illustrations, and step -- by-step ins tructions, consultant and speaker Norman L. Kerth guides readers through productive, empowering retrospectives of project performance.Whether your shop calls them postmortems or postpartums or something else, project retrospectives offer organizations a formal method for preserving the valuable les ...more
Published April 1st 2001 by Dorset House Publishing Company, Incorporated (first published February 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Project Retrospectives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Project Retrospectives

Ben Linders
Jun 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that I have read on retrospectives, after having seen Norm Kerth on the SM/ASM conference in 2001 presenting about retrospectives.

It's a classic, even if you do agile retrospectives, as it describes the basic concepts and ideas behind retrospectives. A must read for anybody of is working agile, and want to continuously improve the way of working!
Erika RS
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: software
This book was a 5/5 for relevant and deep content on project retrospectives and a 3/5 on overall quality as a book, so 4/5 overall.

The target audience for this book is people running project retrospectives. It provides a wealth of material on the purpose of retrospectives, preparing for them, running them, and improving them. To a large degree, the book is targeted even more specifically at professional retrospective facilitators. The upside of this focus is that Kerth gives a broad set of tool
Matt
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
The Retrospective Prime Directive is one of those keys to having a good retrospective, and it's important to wave it around like a weapon; a kind of shield against toxic finger pointing.

Regardless of what we discover, we understand and truly believe that everyone did the best job they could, given what they knew at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand.

I will admit that Kerth's idea of a multi-day retrospective is much more in-depth than anythin
Jeanne Boyarsky
Jul 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
I think I read this book before - years ago, before I started tracking what I read on goodreads. It was good the second time too though.

Each chapter begins with a cute animal story applying the lessons of the chapter. The first was from "Winnie the Pooh." The others cover assorted interactions between an Owl, Wolf, Pig, Beaver, etc.

Each chapter is full of tips,cartoons and anecdotes. One chapter includes exercises to draw out trust and information.

I certainly got some ideas and insights for my n
Olli Sorje
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Good book about holding retrospectives. Nowadays when agile projects are more usual, I'm not sure if there is need for these multi-day retrospectives. Nevertheless techniques and facilitation skills in this book are still very useful in more agile iteration retrospectives. This book also nicely introduces some theories about how people behave and how to resolve conflicts. I recommend this for anyone interested in holding retrospectives of any kind.
Andrew Doran
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Useful text on running retrospectives, albeit from someone who seems to do this work on a full-time basis. Bottom line: for a retrospective to be useful you need three days.

The book contains an overview of the whole process as well as a ‘cook-book’ of exercises you can use in various situations, including when a project has completely failed.
Serban Ghita
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the bible for facilitators, but there are a LOT to learn even if you do small retrospectives with your team. Helped me a lot to focus the discussions in the right direction. It might repeat some of the conclusions, but I understand this is a practice because people skip some chapters. It helps you solidify them.
Marcin
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The best book on retrospectives I have ever read. Full of practical exercises and some theoretical grounding with lots of references. This book is much better then the Agile Retrospectives book which now appears to me as a simple rip-off of this book.
Nynke Fokma
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
Maggie
Sep 01, 2014 rated it it was ok
Yes, this is where it all started, but I wouldn't start here. Once you get the prime directive, Esther Derby's retro book is more useful and current.
Doc
Dec 20, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Agile Software Development
  • Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making
  • Innovation Games: Creating Breakthrough Products Through Collaborative Play: Creating Breakthrough Products and Services
  • Behind Closed Doors: Secrets of Great Management
  • Agile Coaching
  • The Culture Game
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders
  • Succeeding with Agile: Software Development Using Scrum
  • Lean Software Development: An Agile Toolkit
  • Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
  • Slack: Getting Past Burnout, Busywork, and the Myth of Total Efficiency
  • Agile Project Management with Scrum
  • Liftoff: Launching Agile Teams & Projects
  • The Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • Bridging the Communication Gap: Specification by Example and Agile Acceptance Testing

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »