Start by marking “The Skilled Helper: A Problem-Management and Opportunity-Development Approach to Helping” as Want to Read:

Internationally recognized for its successful problem-management and opportunity development approach to effective helping, this is the "millennium edition" of Egan's classic book for helpers. Egan emphasizes the collaborative nature of the therapist-client relationship and uses a practical, three-stage model that drives client problem-managing and opportunity-developing ...more
Hardcover, Seventh Edition, 404 pages
Published 2002 by Brooks Cole (first published 1975)

Start your review of The Skilled Helper: A Problem-Management and Opportunity-Development Approach to Helping
Felicity
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has a lot of good points but I find it very poorly presented. The case studies are contrived and feel condescending. After reading it, I feel like it could have been half the size.
Lisa
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book paired with Ed Teyber's "Interpersonal Process in Therapy" stay close to me - almost like devotional reading! The Skilled Helper has been good from a novice counselor viewpoint.
Susan
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
A necessary read for college. Good info, but you must be fully alert when reading or you will most assuredly fall asleep.
Antonomasia
Jan 20, 2012 marked it as part-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
As another reviewer has mentioned, this is very dry. In the couple of years leading up to the course which used this book, I'd read dozens of academic psychology books (plenty more technical re. neuroscience) and this was the dullest by a considerable margin.

Also was not very happy with some of the approaches: had found I leaned more towards a person-centred approach with psychodynamic elements, and also one somewhat critical of state-mandated uses of psychology to create lots of tidy little
Talitha Kalago
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This book has a poor layout and dry writing. The ideas/theory is interesting, but the text itself leaves much to be desired.
Tiffany
Provides a great basis but is painfully repetitive. This entire book could have been effectively written in <100 pages...
Teri Temme
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Applicable Positive Psychology always makes me smile.
Irene
Nov 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the textbook for the Communications course at Athabasca University that is part of the Bachelor of Management program that I'm enrolled in.
Brian King
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Egan's chapter on empathy should be mandatory reading for human beings...
Brandt
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Definitions are important. While I consider the framework of this book, I am aware that the title is The Skilled Helper. Not, “The Skilled Counselor,” nor, “The Skilled Therapist”. This is why many of the complaints about this book are focused from the perspective that this text should be exclusively about counseling or therapy. Although many aspects of these processes are incorporated into the text, it is not a stand-alone reference for either counseling or therapy. What it is about is “‘

Inge Slabbert
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Maria
May 28, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: social-work
I had to read this as part of core reading for my Masters program. I found it helpful as introductory material. However, I feel like it could've gone more in depth.
Laura R
Oct 12, 2019 rated it liked it
long but useful for general tips. probably a bit outdated but the gist is the same
Shannon
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty dense at parts, amd a little opinionated here and there, but overall, a very good snapshot of counseling.
Tony
A very dry book, with lot of pop psychology
Megan McKenzie
Great information, but oh my god, this was the dullest, wordiest book I've ever read.
Denise Aitken
A set text for my counselling diploma.

Gerard Egan has a 3 step solution focused model for helping professionals, including counsellors.

The book is reasonably well laid out with lots of case studies from a wide variety of sources including relationships, people with serious psychiatric problems and the criminal justice system. To be honest I skipped past a lot of the case studies to get to the meat of the text. The case studies have an obviously American bias which means they can sound a bit odd
Sarah M.  Adly
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
First, i can't believe myself and say i finished this book as it is one of my biggest challenges in reading... i don't know but it was very hard on me and sometimes really i don't understand it. i am not sure is the problem in its english or component as english is not my native language. but it was hard...sometimes i feel it is dry...hard and boring and sometimes i enjoy it a lot. Also i believe it is not for beginners in counselling world at all... it is for more professional. it takes from me ...more
Niki Vervaeke
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Een klepper van een boek rond oplossingsgericht coachen en counsellen. Het model van Egan heel duidelijk uitgelegd met grondige informatie over psychologie, wetenschappelijk onderbouwde uiteenzettingen en goeie visuals die het geheel duidelijk en hanteerbaar maken.

Geen tussendoortje!

Meer info over boek en inhoudstafel vindt u alvast hier

Kevin
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent practical textbook for helping people in life towards change and growth. going to be useful in ministry and overall relationships, helping me formulate better goals and strategies for myself, improving communication skills. tons of well integrated research, broad scope, and that really seemed to sharpen by the 9th ed. also found a lot of wisdom here -- and respect for the ambiguity and need for flexibility in counseling, with a lot of advice toward practice, the 'bias toward action.'
Nicole
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a useful read for an overview of counselling practice.
Rita Ramirez Terrell
Outstanding book for the counselor-in-training
Lisa Jones
Counseling Theory- great theory for organized people, but sometimes peoples problems are not always as organized.
Jackie Berke
Apr 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too dry
Craig Prather
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fairly dry, but a great resource for the basics of the helping process
Read while at Crown.
Tholakele
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
fantastic
Fiona
Oct 15, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a must read for my course....dreary but with some good points in it!
Alison
Sep 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: counseling-books
Great textbook for beginning counselor practitioners. It offers some helpful frameworks to consider and utilize.
Alicia Holborn
Feb 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: psychology
This was a requirement for my course. I found it to be a dry read and very wordy.

• Theory and Practice of Counseling and Psychotherapy
  • The Celtic Twilight: Faerie and Folklore
  • Crescendo: An Ascent to Vital Living
  • The Carl Rogers Reader
  • Groups: Process and Practice [With Infotrac]
  • Getting Past Your Past: Take Control of Your Life with Self-Help Techniques from EMDR Therapy
  • The Universal Christ: How a Forgotten Reality Can Change Everything We See, Hope For and Believe
  • Self-Compassion: The Proven Power of Being Kind to Yourself
  • On Becoming a Person: A Therapist's View of Psychotherapy
  • Emotional Agility: Get Unstuck, Embrace Change, and Thrive in Work and Life
  • Biopsychology
  • Beyond Goals
  • Executive Coaching with Backbone and Heart: A Systems Approach to Engaging Leaders with Their Challenges
  • The Psychology of Executive Coaching: Theory and Application