Start by marking “By the Light of the Green Star (Green Star, #3)” as Want to Read:
By the Light of the Green Star (Green Star, #3)

By the Light of the Green Star (Green Star #3)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Miscast in the role of assassin, inhabiting the stolen body of a stalwart savage, the star-wanderer from Earth found himself in dangers beyond even his wildest imaginings!
Published July 16th 1974 by DAW (first published July 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about By the Light of the Green Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about By the Light of the Green Star

Timothy Boyd
Nov 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice Swords and Planets (or Planetary Romance if you prefer that title) SiFi story. Nice easy enjoyable read. Recommended
Derek
Oct 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sword-and-planet
I have two problems with this book.

The first is endemic to the series: I'm having trouble imagining the treetop cities. They're described as being jewel boxes perched on the limbs of five mile high trees, but I can't wrap my head around how a city-sized structure would sit there given the assumed scale. This would be a minor concern except that Carter periodically mentions the cities and sets events there, and I can't get a good picture in my head of what this actually looks like.

The second is t
Daniel Davis
Feb 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Third in the series. I don't have the rest of them, but hopefully I can get them soon.

Alright, I've read better books, but I've read far worse. I don't have the rest of the series, so there's no telling if reading them would change my views. Honestly, it was an enjoyable story, but there were a few things that frankly irritated me. First was the reiterating of information multiple times in the same book. It became rather monotonous hearing exactly how they got a specific item or met a certain pe
Kat  Hooper
Feb 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
By the Light of the Green Star continues the adventures of the crippled man from Earth who has taught his spirit to travel to an unknown planet where he inhabits healthy bodies and has exciting adventures. The previous volume, When the Green Star Calls, ended on a cliffhanger. Our hero is still in the body of the savage youth and he’s still trying to rescue the princess who he loves but who will not know him if he even manages to find her.

The story continues to be told in the first person, but o
Cormacjosh
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I began this book at Pennsic War XLVI, having completed the second volume there in its entirety. The adventure continues in an engaging way, which is both dated to the period it emulates, that of Edgar Rice Burroughs, and of the early '70s, the time when it was written. Quite enjoyable vacation reading.
Pages 49 ~ 56 ( Chapter 6 ) were completed on a bus headed to Charlotte NC. I recommend this book as I have the other two, but with the caveat that you must start with the first in order to know
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The Green Star books was Lin Carter's best series in my opinion. Good action and, although there are a lot of similarities to ERB's work, I thought Carter achieved some pretty good originality here. This is number 3 in the series.
Tym
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Though the first half of this book dragged (the first half of the book should have been condensed down to a few chapters) by the end I was more involved with the characters than the last book and I can't help but want to read the next.
Brent
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lin-carter
I imagine Lin Carter was a lot like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons. That's not really relevant to this review I just thought it was funny.
Ken
May 01, 2013
Terri
Jul 14, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Linwood Vrooman Carter was an American author of science fiction and fantasy, as well as an editor and critic. He usually wrote as Lin Carter; known pseudonyms include H. P. Lowcraft (for an H. P. Lovecraft parody) and Grail Undwin.

Carter had a marked tendency toward self-promotion in his work, frequently citing his own writings in his nonfiction to illustrate points and almost always including at
More about Lin Carter

Green Star (5 books)
  • Under the Green Star (Green Star, #1)
  • When the Green Star Calls (Green Star, #2)
  • As the Green Star Rises (Green Star, #4)
  • In the Green Star's Glow (Green Star, #5)