Start by marking “The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook: Patterns, Projects and Inspirations” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook: Patterns, Projects and Inspirations

The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook: Patterns, Projects and Inspirations

- Easy-to-follow instructions for creating beautiful, elaborate designs with more than 90 Sashiko patterns
- 33 projects incorporate different designs and techniques
- Features a full-color inspirational gallery of Sashiko work from contemporary textile artists.
Published 2005 by Krause Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Sashiko Sourcebook

penny shima glanz
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-sewing
To say that I'm fascinated by Sashiko would be an understatement. I am in love with it. I've not posted many pictures yet of my work in this medium because I'm still learning and this book has definitely lowered the learning curve! Why? It's in English! My Japanese is very limited and while I've picked up more and more over the years, it's nice to see such a well researched work. Sure, many of my Japanese language Sashiko books have the same patterns, it is nice to see them in English. Ms Brisco ...more
Kelly
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! Have had it for a few years now, and found it a great source for learning sashiko technique and design. I often refer to the stitch pattern guide at the back to make my own designs.

Because I was already a sewer and learned the sashiko basics from a friend (here in Japan), I haven't made any of the projects in this book exactly as written, but I would say they look easy to follow.

Sashiko is a lovely craft, and fairly easy to pick up if you have the patience for hand-stitching.
Jae
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I thought this book was very good- I have another book by the same author on the same subject, but this one is much more useful, and contains much more information about sashiko and how to do it.
Jennifer (JC-S)
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
‘In the 21st century, sashiko continues to evolve.’

Sashiko (the word means ‘little stab’) is a traditional Japanese quilting technique which uses a simple running stitch. Originally the technique was used to combine two or three layers of fabric to create warm, economical clothing. Today its use seems to be mainly decorative.

My first introduction to sashiko was earlier this year, when I saw some sashiko panels on my first visit to a local quilting store. At that stage, I was looking at fabric fo
Catherine
Aug 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I’ve thought about doing a sashiko project for years, but I’m not sure my niece even knew that when she dangled her copy of this book in front of me a mere half an hour before I departed from a three-day visit. Luckily I was able to get it through Prospector. Good beginner book with historical information and basics about supplies and procedures, and beautiful projects to inspire the reader.

It turns out that sashiko supplies, especially the thread, are hard to find – this book was first publish
Jenni
Aug 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: crafty
Really clean-looking embroidery that forms beautiful patterns. The book is exactly as advertised: patterns, projects, and inspirations. The only downside is that although the book is very accessible, I'm sure it takes some practice before you have the same level of quality in your own work. Liked it all the same!
Hil
Feb 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great resource for sashiko patterns and some project ideas.
Zombie Karin
Great book--full of clear how-to instructions, background on technique, and a dictionary of pattern guides in the back.
Beth
Mar 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts-knitting
great resource
Patricia
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: handwork
Solid source book with clear information about supplies and patterns.
Mel
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Would definitely buy this book as a reference for sashiko work.
LaRue Cook