Start by marking “Conan, Vol. 4: The Halls of the Dead and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Conan, Vol. 4: The Halls of the Dead and Other Stories

Conan, Vol. 4: The Halls of the Dead and Other Stories

(Conan: Dark Horse Books #4)

Know, O Prince, that in an age undreamed of, shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars. Hither came Conan the Cimmerian; black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet . . .
Conan: The Hall of the De
Published July 3rd 2007 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Conan, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan, Vol. 4

Start your review of Conan, Vol. 4: The Halls of the Dead and Other Stories
Koen
Oct 11, 2017 rated it liked it
the story was less intriguing, but still a fun read!
Steven Harbin
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read the Barry Smith illustrated Marvel comic version of this story way back in 1970 while on vacation in Hawaii. That version remains one of my all time favorite comics and artistic rendetions of the young Conan, so I approached this newer version with some trepidation. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. I thought both the story (it's based on a short fragment of Howard's, not a full blown story, so there's plenty of room on the part of the creators to take in where they will) and th ...more
Andrew
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
AWE-SOME! YEAH! Whoooo! Okay, sorry, Conan brings it out of me. Sheesh, I'm a little sad to see Kurt take a bow in this ongoing Dark Horse series, but I know, after reading through this transition book that the continuation will be in capable hands. DH knows what they're doing, as it seems customary with them; for many years Star Wars was in relatively good shape, and although I'm not the most avid reader of their fare (maybe Buffy some day), they seem to draw their inspiration from the right pl ...more
Steve Dilks
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
It took me a long while to warm to Dark Horse's interpretation of Conan. The early issues got off to a rocky start. However, things did pick up and there are certain things that they did get 'right.' At its best, Cary Nord's painted art evokes the atmosphere of Frazetta. The writing tries sticking close to Howard's ideal even if, at times, it seems to be trying too hard. Credit where it's due, though, at least they were trying.
The opening of this collection starts off well. Kurt Busiek may not
Alex
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Hall of the Dead is the first place in the Dark Horse Conan reboot where they have moved significantly from established and published stories to interpreting and expanding story fragments. In THE HALL OF THE DEAD, they do a fantastic job of expanding the fragment while pulling from other portions of Howard's oeuvre. The batrachian god Gol-Goroth makes an appearance, which featured prominently in the mythos tale THE BLACK STONE. And the idols worn by the priests in THE BLACK STONE and THE THI ...more
Brian
Aug 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Who would have thought that Temple of the Frog was a Conan story!

The Halls of the Dead is the first Conan comic in this run that's not based on an existing Howard story, though it is based on an outline he wrote that was never expanded upon. An ancient city full of treasure, some kind of sleeping god attacks Conan, Conan drops a bunch of ancient masonry on the god and escapes the city. Mignola fills this in, making the god a giant three-eyed toad with an army of the restless dead, guarding a cur
Brandon
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Beginning in the taverns of the city of thieves and traveling through a city of the dead (And killer toads) before ending in canyons of murderous thieves this book does a good job of covering the world of Conan. It's a brutal tale with fists and swords used aplenty as Conan moves among corrupt priests, city guards and the powerful elite and it all works. The stories deal with him as a thief so they center on Conan breaking into somewhere to steal something and encountering a danger that of some ...more
Richard Harrison
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Some excellent stuff, here, loving re-reading my Conan collection. Love how Dark Horse are starting to turn a couple of sentences from Robert E Howard into whole issues of the comics. Also love how they tie everything together. Makes it feel like more of a continuing narrative which is where Conan can seem a bit scattered (this week he's a child, next week he's a king, etc"
Juho Pohjalainen
May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Could always use more Mignola in these. Shame he didn't draw too.
Mark Kosobucki
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Quick read. Great art in this book.
Γιώργος Μπελαούρης
another great one
awesome series
Chip Hunter
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
This fourth volume of the top-notch new Conan series keeps up the intensity and true-to-Howard feel that has helped make these stories so much loved by old die-hard Conan followers and new fans alike. It also continues the absolutely beautiful artwork that makes this series stand out as unique in Conan comics, and has attracted so many to these pages. The stories related in THE HALL OF THE DEAD pick up right where THE TOWER OF THE ELEPHANT left off, with Conan in the City of Thieves living off t ...more
Angel
Aug 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Conan the Barbarian, fantasy readers, graphic novel readers
I continue to enjoy this series put out by Dark Horse. However, this particular volume marks a transition as the series changes authors and artists. There is some work from the initial authors of the series, and then work from new writers, including Mike Mignola, of Hellboy fame. Conan is still a young thief, and he is quite brash, often reckless; he is that youthful stage where you think you are invincible and nothing can touch you. When he beds the wife of a local magistrate, the hunt for him ...more
Heath Lowrance
Oct 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This volume is pretty much all original material by the authors, the central story "The Hall of the Dead" being based on a brief synopsis written by REH. It's fleshed out in the middle three parts by Mike Mignola (you know it's Mignola, because there are FROGS), and makes a nicely creepy tale, sandwiched as it is between outgoing writer Kurt Busiek's last two chapters and incoming writer Tim Truman's two-part debut. Cary Nord's artwork is even better than usual here, with very little of the rush ...more
April
Jul 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Lovely artwork and a fairly solid script in terms of the chapters by Kurt Busiek and Mike Mignola. I still really prefer Howard's original story for "The Halls of the Dead" because it was a lot more to the point and Conan didn't have a girlfriend with jealousy issues. And the story that followed after wards was fairly disappointing.

I'm also not much of a fan of Jiarra's role in any of the stories in this volume. Thankfully Nestor was around. He actually did things and joked a bit so it was nice
Scott Lee
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Much like volume three this one was hit or miss for me. Okay, a little more than last volume. The middle issues were nearly all visuals and sound effects. Now I appreciate the fact that comic books are a visual medium, but its the melding of visuals and language that I love about them. When the words disappear nearly entirely as they do in the middle of this volume (I almost thought I was in one of G.I. Joe's silent Snake Eyes gimic issues from the eighties) it just doesn't work for me.

The stor
Fahim Ahmed
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A really great set of stories. Although they're basically one arc, it's a set of short stories that form one whole arc. I think I'm finally starting to understand why people love Conan. There's a sense of fun and freedom that's really in today's stories. No grand destinies and no evil big bads. While of course these aspects come in to play later on in Conan's life, that's just it, it comes later. For now we can safely enjoy the adventures of this young man who's living his life to the fullest, w ...more
Jon Schafle
Aug 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
My first Conan comic was Marvel's Conan the Barbarian #8, which was an adaptation of the Halls of the Dead story. Taking more of a horror theme, Conan follows tales of riches to a strange city of ruins guarded by a giant frog-creature that seemed to have been worshiped by a fanatical cult. Conan and his unlikely ally, another thief and rival of Conan that was tasked with bringing him to justice, must find their way out with its treasure as the dead rise up to stop them.
Gregory
May 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Dark Horse's reboot of Conan in comic form has been consistently great. It's definitely a guilty pleasure but totally worth checking out. The writing has been excellent. It both preserves a lot of the original Robert Howard and branches out creatively. In this book Kurt Busiek turns over some of the writing duties to Mike Mignola which was awesome.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
The new Conan comic series does good justice to the Robert E. Howard stories. While the art does come and go in quality at time, overall it is a good. The adaptations of the original stories is well done. The fill in stories are also well done and follow the flow of the Character's life as written by Howard. Recommended to comic fans and Very recommended to Howard and Conan fans.
Charles
Jun 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
After this one, the series starts to go downhill because they lose both the great artist and the writer and switch them out. This one has Mike Mignola (writer and artist of Hellboy fame) doing a part of the writing, so he thoroughly saves this one.
Dan Schul
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Darkhorse Comics adaptation of Conan the Barbarian.

Some of the stories are adaptation of some of Robert E. Howards best stories, others are original stories by the Darkhorse Writers. A very nice collection of stories if you like the sword and sorcery genre.
Matt Ryan
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
Beautiful art, but by the end it was just another couple sequences of a stock Conan plot line. The Mignola part was easy to find - another ancient frog-god - but the art helped hold my interest. Hard to tell if it's an homage to Howard or a repetition of tired ideas for new readers.
Judah
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite in the series so far. I really actually enjoy Nestor and Conan's flavor of the moment girlfriend. Both have very good chemistry with Conan. While certainly Miss. Flavor will probably find herself written out, I hope Nestor gets to stick around.
Cheryl
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
These are the best portrayals of the Cimmerian outside of REH's original novels, in my opinion. Gorgeously illustrated, too! I recommend the whole series.
Michael
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Amazing, again. Mike Mignola adds his Lovecraftian lore to this volume, and it works ever so well with the Conan oeuvre.
Sam
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very true to Robert E Howard's Conan. Plus the artwork was phenomenal.
Ian James
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
good but the real treasure is the essay at the end discussing Lovecraft and Howards relationship
Dave
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This was an excellent bit of fantasy storytelling. I can't think of anything critical to say about it. The art was top notch and fit the tone of the book perfectly.
Book collector
Aug 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good version of an incomplete Howard story. Art is excellent and the series continues to impress.

• Conan: The Spear and Other Stories
  • Daredevil, Volume 7
  • Daredevil, Volume 3: The Daredevil You Know
  • Daredevil, Volume 4: The Autobiography of Matt Murdock
  • Daredevil, Volume 2: West-Case Scenario
  • Return to Perdition (Road to Perdition, #5)
  • Star Strike (Inheritance Trilogy, #1)
  • Groom Lake
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;

Conan: Dark Horse Books (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Conan, Vol. 1: The Frost Giant's Daughter and Other Stories