Start by marking “Fears Unnamed” as Want to Read:
Fears Unnamed

Fears Unnamed

In a remarkably short period of time, Tim Lebbon has burst upon the scene and established himself as one of the best horror writers at work today. He is the winner of numerous awards, including a Bram Stoker Award. Critics have raved about his work and fans have eagerly embraced him as a contemporary master of the macabre. — Perhaps nowhere are the reasons for his ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 337 pages
Published February 28th 2004 by Leisure Books

To ask other readers questions about Fears Unnamed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fears Unnamed

Start your review of Fears Unnamed
Nancy
Jan 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of four novellas:

REMNANTS is about an archeologist, bored with his mundane existence and envious of his childhood friend who finds passion in simple pleasures, travels with him to a remote location and discovers an underground city. Extremely well-written and atmospheric.

In WHITE, a group of vacationers are stranded in a cabin during an unending snowstorm where mysterious "white things" lurk outside. Chilling, bloodcurding modern horror.

THE UNFORTUNATE, a man who is the only
Karl
Mar 11, 2017 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This hardcover is copy 201 of 350 copies and is signed by Tim Lebbon.
Jason
Oct 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books, read-2012
4 Stars

Remnants : 3 Stars

the first story is about an archeologist and his best friend. This novella is more surreal and atmospheric horror than anything else. The ultimate find, the legendary city of the dead. This is a ghost story and a creature story in one. There is quite a bit of play on reality and what may be real or may be made up. I enjoyed the feel and the tension in this fast page turner.

"And it was dark by the sea, windy and wet, stinking of rotting sea life as beaches always do.
Andy
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Four horror novellas by Tim Lebbon. My first read by this author.

Remnants- An average working stiff looking for more excitement is invited to share in a secret dig site by a childhood friend turned adventurer/archaeologist. This one got off to an excellent start, and Lebbon has an incredible way with words. However, there was too little character interaction for my taste. The narration was atmospheric and at times creepy, but at 63 pages, this story got a bit repetitive. M. Night Shyamalan
Henrik
Feb 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: modern-day horror stories set in daily life scenes
Recommended to Henrik by: Borderlands Press
Alan Baxter
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, short-stories
A collection of four novellas - three reprints and one original. In all honesty, I enjoyed the original tale, Remnants, the least. It was shorter than the others and opened the book and while it was excellently written, it didn't move me so much.

The second story, White, was my favourite. Beautifully evocative and hauntingly bleak.

The Unfortunate was another high point, with an interesting twist on fate.

The last one, Naming of Parts, was brilliantly written but I've never really been a fan of
Brian
Dec 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
All of the novellas in this book are entertaining and intriguing, but the last one in the collection, "Naming of Parts," is simply outstanding. It alone makes this book worth trying to find at a used bookstore near you.*

*Leisure Books has stupidly stopped publishing mass market paperbacks, so this book may become more difficult to find over the coming months.
Bandit
Nov 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Terrific collection of longer short stories or novellas from Tim Lebbon, one of my favorite horror writers.
Nick
Sep 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-competition
Extremely original and creative collection of four horror/dark fiction novellas. Great read!
Quinn D.K.
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Interesting if uneven stories. The first novella, about the hidden city of ghosts, was evocative and more of a tragedy than traditional horror. The second novella about the people holed up in the mansion waiting out a wintery apocalypse was a little trope-y and been-there-done-that, and the monsters didn't strike me as scary. I probably enjoyed the third novella the most, the one about the man who cheated death. It had an eerie, paranoid Twilight Zone-era atmosphere that I enjoyed. The last ...more
Bookhode
Aug 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm not a huge fan of short stories/novella collections, something about my OCD makes it easier to summarize and grade novels, but in this case I was happy to discover a new horror writer, and see what he has to offer.

Fears Unnamed is a collection of 4 unrelated novellas, whose topics and atmosphere go back and forth between horror and dark fiction. The book starts off with "Remnants", which happens to be the worst of the 4 stories, and thus not a very good choice for the opener. It's a rather
Traummachine
Mar 30, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a collection of 4 novellas, 1 of which is new to this collection.

REMNANTS (3 stars) - This was the new story for the collection, and it was very atmospheric and strange. A man follows his archeologist friend on an adventure that turns out to be much darker than he expected. Lebbon throws in some jealously of the archeologist, and it's a nice bit of tension. I enjoyed this, but it was the story was my least favorite of the 4. I felt like it should have been a bit shorter.

WHITE (4 stars) -
Dean Italiano
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Unfortunately I had to read this book in two halves with a months-long break in the middle. Bah! Life.

Fears Unnamed by Tim Lebbon is comprised of four stories:

REMNANTS takes place in a desert, where two friends make a discovery that I found both creepy and fascinating. I won't give it away. This was my favourite story out of the four as the landscape alone is frightening. The concept is original and the images that are still stuck in my head are fantastic.

WHITE takes place in a cabin surrounded
Kathryn
I do not remember when I last felt so torn about a book. Generally, a collection of stories or novellas by a single author can be counted on to be fairly consistent. But not this one. During "Remnants", I fell asleep 3 or 4 times. The story was amazingly boring and I would rate it 1 star. I did not like it one bit.

"White" was an improvement, but still a little slow. If it had been half as long, I might have wanted to rate it more than 2 stars. I almost quit reading after this story but I was
John Bruni
Jun 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great collection of four novellas. The first, "Remnants," is good. Nothing fancy. It's kind of reminiscent of old pulp stories. It's about a guy who discovers the City of the Dead in the desert, and he looks for his dead son there. It's good. "White," on the other hand, is incredible. The best in the book. It's a masterpiece of isolation. And it's pretty scary, too. It's hard to get to me, and this one did it. "The Unfortunate" is a close second for best in the book. A group of ...more
Michael
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
I've never read a Tim Lebbon story before so, without any reservation, I started to read Tim's collection of short stories, "Fears Unnamed" and was not disappointed by any means. The stories included in this collection are:

*Remnants - two friends search for the City of the Dead and find meaning in life.
*White - strange phantoms terrorize a gathering of friends during a winter storm.
*The Unfortunate - at what price is good fortune worth?
*Naming of Parts - a bit of a zombie story mixed in with the
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
From what I have read of Tim Lebbon (The Nature of Balance, Face), I believe his strength is writing short stories and novellas. I was quickly worried when I started reading, because "Remnants" wasn't very special. However, everything got much better after that. The last three stories (especially "White" and "Naming of Parts") were very exciting and original. I definitely recommend this book if you interested in Tim Lebbon. He shows a lot of promise. Here are my ratings of the stories (1-10).
Kristoffer
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'll be honest in that I don't think the entire book was worth four stars. I thought that the last two stories were worth that and bases my overall rating on that. The first story was a two, the second a three and the last two were, as I said before, fours. I thought they were all well written. I just didn't really get part of the first one and to be honest, I wasn't invested enough to try. The others stories were more understandable.
Netanella
Four horror novellas, all of which are excellent. My favorite is the second story, "White", about a group of people stranded in a manor while unnamed things try to get in. Disturbing and gory. Second best is "The Naming of Parts", a zombie tale that evokes "The Death of Grass", amongst other things.

My hat's off to Tim Lebbon - awesome writing!
Kneeddough
Dec 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
To be honest, I'm still reading this because my friend Jeff really liked it. I'm finding it predictable and well used and really need to give it back to Jeff. My fear? I will give it back before I finish it, and miss the good part!
Tanvir Muntasim
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
My first Lebbon book, a mixed bag of horror novellas. He definitely has some literary skills, but sometimes the stories are either a bit too formulaic, or too abstract to cause genuine chills. I am not sure I will read anymore of his books.
Jim
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great stories that stuck with me .Very dark ethereal feel throughout. Highly recommended,my favorite book of short horror stories!
Mark Levandoski
Nov 09, 2015 rated it it was ok
A bit tame in the horror department for me.
Charmaine
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: stories-short
I'm not really a fan of short stories nor of horror stories.
Having said that, Tim Lebbon is a really good storyteller.
Don Jaucian
Sep 16, 2010 marked it as to-read
Scary as shit so far. I will wait for the day when they turn 'White' into a movie.
Philip
Jun 09, 2012
Kimberly
rated it did not like it
Dec 27, 2008

• Horrorstör
  • Alien: Isolation
  • Come Closer
  • The Grin of the Dark
  • The Copper Promise (The Copper Cat, #1)
  • Unclean Spirits (Gods & Monsters, #1)
  • The Day of the Jackal
I love writing, reading, triathlon, real ale, chocolate, good movies, occasional bad movies, and cake.

I was born in London in 1969, lived in Devon until I was eight, and the next twenty years were spent in Newport. My wife Tracey and I then did a Good Thing and moved back to the country, and we now live in the little village of Goytre in Monmouthshire with our kids Ellie and Daniel. And our dog,