Start by marking “Rosanna Joins the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #8)” as Want to Read:
Rosanna Joins the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #8)

Rosanna Joins the Wells

(Sadler's Wells #8)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  135 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Before she could follow her dream, she had to fight for her freedom.

When Rosanna Corelli's parents are tragically killed in Italy, she is left to live as an orphan, cared for only by Papa Angelino. When he dies her aunt and uncle reluctantly agree to look after her in England.

England means only one thing to Rosanna - the Sadler's Wells Ballet School. She will always rememb
Published 1989 by Pan Books (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Rosanna Joins the Wells, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rosanna Joins the Wells

Rosemary Atwell
Feb 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reads
Although later titles of my favourite childhood series are largely powered by increasingly unlikely scenarios, I still love them for their ability to provide unbridled nostalgia and (probably) rampant escapism. And then there's the writing....despite revisiting familiar scenes and beloved characters, Lorna Hill still manages to squeeze in small, unexpected nuances and details. Of the unfamiliar (with half of this book set in southern Italy) the descriptions of the Mediterranean are irresistible ...more
LH Johnson
Oh but this book is pale and wan and feels as though you could hold it up to the light and feel the paper disintegrate in your hands. And it is saddening, saddening, for Lorna Hill shines, even now, even in her last Wells books, and yet in almost the same breath she fades like the setting of a shadowy sun.

Rosanna is a tragic heroine; tragically romantic, tragically verklempt, tragically dancing with a wild naivete and innocence and coincidentally doing her beautiful, wondrous dancing under the
Sally
Oh whoa, colour me surprised - I absolutely loved this! I picked it up at an op-shop the other week even though I never liked the Sadler's Wells series very much. I didn't think I'd like it but for 30c figured I may as well try. And I loved it! Absolutely loved it! Wtf do I need to totally revisit the series now?!

I adored the Italian town of Amalfi that the story starts in. It's all skinny, cobblestone streets and steps running everywhere and doors open and poverty and sunshine and one meal a da
Janis
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Darker than the others books "Rosanna at the Wells" brings a little Italian waif to live with relatives in England only to face emotional abuse and poverty even though the family were fairly well off, echoing the previous story of Ella who was born of Italian parents and lived a similar Cinderella like life....as usual with all the Sadlers Wells books we meet the earlier characters, tying all the stories together...
The whole series is a delightful contrast to books like "Flowers in the Attic" wh
Tara Calaby
This is a quaint little book that actually feels older than it is. The kind of black and white morality (and characterisation) within it is more often found in books of thirty or more years before this one was first published.

I didn't dislike it enough to stop reading at any point, but there was nowt that made me want to keep reading, either. It was all a bit melodramatic and unbelievable and just not very me, I'm afraid.
Carolynne
Dec 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: CLM
Shelves: ballet, young-adult
Rosanna is a spunky, appealing Italian girl who has a natural talent for the ballet. Her Aunt Bessie Waybridge nearly derails her training, but Rosanna overcomes this and other difficulties and--Surprise!--is admitted to the Wells.
Jane Irish Nelson
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another Cinderella story. Rosanna grows up in Italy, the daughter of an English mother and an Italian painter father. They are very happy in their little village until one day disaster strikes, and the village is wiped away by a massive mudslide. Rosanna's parents are killed, but since she wasn't there, she survives, and is taken in by an elderly man who is also raising his young nephew. Two years pass, then one day Rosanna discovers Anya Boccaccio's ballet studio, and talks her way into lessons ...more
Norah Hogoboom
Jul 13, 2009
Cheryl
Jun 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Drina Dances in Paris (Drina, #7)
  • Ballet Shoes for Anna
  • The Chalet School and the Lintons (The Chalet School, #10)
  • Cherry Ames, Island Nurse (Cherry Ames, #21)
  • International Velvet
Hill attended school in Durham and then went to Le Manoir in Lausanne, on the shores of Lake Geneva, Switzerland. She obtained a BA at Durham University, and there met her husband, a clergyman. They moved to the remote parish of Matfen, Northumberland, where she played the organ in church and ran a Sunday school.

Hill's career as an author began when her daughter Vicki, then about ten years old, fo

Sadler's Wells (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • A Dream of Sadler's Wells (Sadler's Wells, #1)
  • Veronica at the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #2)
  • No Castanets at the Wells (Sadlers Wells, #3)
  • Masquerade at the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #4)
  • Jane Leaves the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #5)
  • Ella at the Wells (Sadler's Wells #6)
  • Return To The Wells (Sadler's Wells, #7)
  • Principal Role (Sadler's Wells, #9)
  • Swan Feather (Sadler's Wells, #10)
  • Dress Rehearsal (Sadler's Wells #11)