Start by marking “Les Fourberies de Scapin” as Want to Read:
Les Fourberies de Scapin

Les Fourberies de Scapin

Les Fourberies de Scapin est une comédie en trois actes en prose.

En l'absence de son père, Octave a épousé en secret Hyacinthe, la femme qu'il aime. Mais dès son retour son père a décidé de le marier avec une inconnue. Quant à Léandre c'est Zerbinette qu'il aime, mais son père a également décidé autrement. Alors, que peuvent bien faire ces deux jeunes gens sans argent cont
Mass Market Paperback, Classiques Larousse, 191 pages
Published May 1st 2007 by Larousse (first published May 24th 1671)

To ask other readers questions about Les Fourberies de Scapin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Les Fourberies de Scapin

little dumpling
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
As most Molière tales, an easy and quite predictable ending. Yet still remaining a lovable and classic text.
Realini
Nov 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Les Fourberies de Scapin by Molière
a pleasant comedy, even if this not a favorite of mine

This comedy reminds me of The Importance of Being Earnest, which is to say that Oscar Wilde may have been inspired by some of the events taking place here, or some centuries ago these happenings were so frequent that one need not read Moliere to learn about them.
Scapin is main character that has presented me with a challenge:
On the one hand he is smart, ironical, witty and a winner in most of his endeavours.
Anjum Choudhury
Mar 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: plays
The brand of play including the witty servant who pulls one over on his master's whilst getting together the young lovers is not an original topic. In fact, it has been a very popular sub-genre for millennia. And that's why I'm giving Scapin such a low rating. Not because it's an unoriginal idea, but because it's a very boring version of a standard plot. Nothing Scapin does is particularly witty, and anything that would make me laugh in viewing this play would be the physical comedy that's a res ...more
Jessica
Oct 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: university
i read an English translation of this play. this is a reminder for myself to read the French version once i'm finished with all my assignments.

it wasn't that funny on paper, maybe it'd be funnier to watch? as is the case with most comedic plays, since they rely on visual humour.
not a good first impression of Molière, but i've gotta read the French version, and maybe some of his more famous plays too, in order to form a fair opinion of him.
the story is predictable and boring, what's there to li
Ainhoareadsbooks
Compared to another Molière book I had to read for school (Le médecin malgré lui), this was pretty disappointed. I feel like this story had indeed Molière’s classic cleverness and wit, but the plot wasn’t as ingenious and well executed as in le Médecin malgré lui. I love Molière and will read more books by him, but this is surely not his best.
Laetitia
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, middle-school
One of my favourite (if not my favourite) Molière book! I loved reading it, it was one of the best book I read in school.
Sophia Lareiss
One of my favourite books. Scapin was a perfect character and I enjoyed the humor!
Justine Faust
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a joyous play, with twists, schemes, good and bad endings.
Great Molière, one of my favourites
thevoicesread
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read inn English and brilliant fun, I definitely need to read more Molière
Katsuro Ricksand
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious as always. You can't beat Molière when it comes to farcical comedy.
Eteaqueen
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People with an interest in theatre or comedy
Recommended to Eteaqueen by: European Theatre Course
Shelves: uni-reading
Another Gem from the French Neo-classical unit.
I'm not a massive fan of older comedies (apart from Willy Shakes) so I enjoyed this well enough for what it was.
The Play itself felt very dated and the story felt of its time. Characters were 2 dimensional, as many stock comedic characters are, and it was very predictable and flat.
The play wasn't awful considering the time and social conventions it was restricted to, however it is by no means groundbreaking or memorable.
I doubt I will return to
Ben
Mar 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Life is a valley of troubles, Sir. It's best to be prepared for everything."

Performed with Molière in the part of Scapin in 1671, this play is entertaining, but it does not contribute much to the literary cannon, similar in terms of themes and style to not only many of Molière's earlier plays, but many of Shakespeare's comedies as well, communicating its humor physically and verbally (the funniest parts are the cracks at the legal profession, as lawyers are viewed as money-hungry parasites, not
Innimei Chetty
Aug 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A hilarious story though very unlikely. A lot of exaggeration to give a funny touch. However, it is very entertaining. Scapin is indeed very deceitful( to our great pleasure) though in some occasions it can be interpreted as a lack of respect to his masters.
Haikumew
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The first play I remember reading, around the age of 10 (I am French, so language was no problem). Fun, action-packed, it has aged quite well. Scapin is a fantastic character, a trickster artist, with an ambiguous dimension to him : the worthy descendant of Arlequin and ancestor to Figaro.
Геллее Салахов Авбакар
Scapin that fox and intelligent server who gets in two relations between his master Octave son of Argante in his relation to Zerbinette.
Scapin was able to force the event of the scene at his will so in all the scenes he was present and his Tricks were touchable in all the piece of Theater.
London Mabel
Aug 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: theatre lovers practicing French!
Recommended to London by: drama class in high school / friend Chantal
A couple friends and I had to perform a scene from Scapin in high school, so it's always held a place in my heart. I randomly decided to read (re-read?) it and it was very enjoyable. Quite silly, and I understood the French much more than I expected to.
Sally
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since I plan to see this play at the Shakespeare Festival next year, I thought I would read it to prepare. It's typical Moliere with mixups and miscommunications that end up right. I still don't know how to pronounce Scapin so I look forward to the performance.
Julia
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
This is not my favorite book because it's a classic french book.
(French book who I read it in France)
William
Oct 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Far from my favorite Moliere play -- hints of Moliere's verbal genius mixed with traditional slapstick. Just not as developed as any of his other prose plays.
Thetravelingpanda
Nov 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: french-classics
Not my favorite Moliere play, although it was very entertaining. I love to see a reversal of social class and Moliere is a master in such a discipline.
Ty
Jul 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: francais, theatre
Read it, got to perform the part of Scapin in a school production. The style (as with all of this author's work) is straight out of Commedia Dell'Arte tradition but the wit is all Molière.
Isabella Queirouz
Jan 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
READ IT AT SCHOOL !
Raluca
Jul 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: theater
How to have a good laugh.
Kate Thompson
americanized version...only performance with moustache.
Morgane
Jun 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
Had to read it for school. ugh.
Jon Snow
May 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I dunno... maybe 3.5? This play is from the 1600s in France and yeah, it shows. it was still fun, but not stellar or anything.
Alice
Apr 05, 2014 added it
I like it alright, isn't my favorite play but it is not the worst either.
Naada Ait Brik
well i enjoy it ; and i learn some new word , sentences ....
T.J. Burns
Jul 30, 2018 marked it as to-read  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Free Audio Play of The Impostures of Scapin by Molière to download or to listen to online:
Cholera
Goodreads Librari...: Book cover missing 2 12 Aug 26, 2015 12:29AM

• Horace
  • L'île des esclaves
  • Le Barbier de Séville ou La Précaution Inutile
  • Knock ou le triomphe de la médecine
  • Lorenzaccio
  • The Marriage of Figaro (Le Nozze Di Figaro): Vocal Score
  • La guerre de Troie n'aura pas lieu
  • Britannicus
  • Lettres de mon moulin
  • Le château de ma mère (Souvenirs d'enfance, #2)
  • Le Lion
  • Supplément au Voyage de Bougainville
Jean-Baptiste Poquelin, also known by his stage name, Molière, was a French playwright and actor who is considered one of the greatest masters of comedy in Western literature. Among Molière's best-known dramas are Le Misanthrope, (The Misanthrope), L'Ecole des femmes (The School for Wives), Tartuffe ou l'Imposteur, (Tartuffe or the Hypocrite), L'Avare ou l'École du mensonge (The Miser), Le Malade ...more