Start by marking “The Savage Dragon” as Want to Read:
The Savage Dragon

The Savage Dragon (Savage Dragon mini #1-3, image zero)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  151 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
(W/A) Erik Larsen Chicago. A criminal mastermind called OverLord held the city in his terrifying grip. Ordinary cops were losing the battle against OverLord and his super-freaks. Then a miracle happened. When he was found, he had no memory of his past. Lieutenant Frank Darling helped him find an identity and a life. Now they have a fighting chance... now they have... The D ...more
Published (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Savage Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Savage Dragon

Cheese
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic introduction and someone I could get used to reading.
Drown Hollum
I'm glad I finally got the chance to read Savage Dragon. It's fun, absurd, and absolutely a product of its time. The writing in this first volume can be cornball and a little too brisk, and the art isn't perfect, but it's fresh and a ton of fun to read. It's also deeply satisfying as the product of the one-man-army Erik Larsen has become. This is a silly, early Image book, but the history alone makes it worth the read.
Charley Allen
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here is the deal with Savage Dragon. Erik Larsen took a character that he created in 4th grade, and made a comic from him. The result is a bad ass character that has legit super powers and tears up his enemies. It's not terribly deep, but that's not what you want all the time. It's a fun place to escape, especially since Larsen has had control of the character since the first issue, and still writes and draws every issue. Win!
Nancy
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
This review can also be found on my blog: https://graphicnovelty2.com/2017/10/0...

A few weeks back, I dipped my toe in 1990’s nostalgia and reviewed Wild C.A.T.S. an early Image comic line written by Jim Lee and Brandon Choi. Walt, a blogging friend for the aptly named blog Comic Reviews by Walt, encouraged me to read Savage Dragon. Since I like to take advice from my like-minded blogging friends I picked up Baptism Of Fire, as he said it would be the best to start off with.

Erik Larsen, the crea
Tony Laplume
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating as a piece of history. I know Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon as one of the enduring titles that helped launch the Image revolution (along with Spawn, it continues to this day and is more than two hundred issues into its run), filled with all sorts of sensationalism in its early days but in at least the past decade having evolved into a bastion of classic superhero storytelling. This material represents Larsen's first published arc, a mini-series that preceded the ongoing series and sets ...more
Matej
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first volume of Savage Dragon is a bit rough around the edges, but having read the later volumes I know how awesome it becomes.
Sure, there are some references that are dated and there are some things that are just way too on the nose, but despite that, it still manages to be fun and interesting.
Overall, a great beginning of a series that obviously has a lot of potential.
Nate Fiala
Apr 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I found this comic book when I was a kid, it instantly became my crack, and despite a lapse in collecting that I'm slowly rebuilding, continues to be my comic book crack to this day. This first volume of Savage Dragon has plenty of what to expect for years to come- ultra-violence, super-hot babes, bitchin' art from series creator Erik Larsen that is, in my personal opinion, at a career high point, having just come off writing, penciling and inking The Revenge of the Sinister Six storyline o ...more
John
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The start of the now long running series was a bit better. I actually read this story arc long after I was deep into the other books and found that there wasn't anything I didn't already know. This is where you would start, however, if you've never read the series. Basically, these are cool characters that do exactly what most people would do in their situation. And, there is a full range of character types, in a strange way, making them more believable. Meaning, if we suddenly had people in soc ...more
Apr 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
If I were reading The Savage Dragon for the first time today, this might not be a 5-star review... But with hindsight and nostalgic feelings towards one of my nerdy teenage endeavors, it still kicks ass.

The Dragon is super strong, has wolverine-like healing skills, pinpoint sharpshooter accuracy... And chooses to be a police officer.

Not to mention his upper body is crazy out of proportion, he has that fin on his bald green head (though still has a hairy chest/legs) and is still a ladies man.

P
  • Ultimate X-Men/Fantastic Four
  • 9-11, Vol. 1: Artists Respond
  • Miracleman, Book One: The Golden Age
  • X-Men: Phoenix Rising
  • The Big Book of Weirdos (Factoid Books)
  • Spawn Origins, Volume 2
  • X-Factor Visionaries: Peter David, Vol. 1
  • Spider-Man: Drowned in Thunder
  • Lobster Johnson, Vol. 1: The Iron Prometheus (Lobster Johnson, #1)
  • Ultimate Fantastic Four, Volume 1: The Fantastic
  • The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 2
  • The Savage Sword of Conan, Volume 5
  • Mage Volume 2: The Hero Defined
  • BATMAN: Gotham Knight
  • Billy the Kid's Old Timey Oddities
  • X-Men: Empire's End
  • The Day America Told the Truth
As a child growing up in Bellingham, Washington and Albion, California, Erik Larsen created seveal comic books featuring versions of a character named 'Dragon.' He eventually published a fanzine, which led to his doing professional work on a comic book called Megaton for creator Gary Carlson. It was here that he introduced the Dragon, a super powered superhero, to the comic-reading masses.
After a
More about Erik Larsen...

Savage Dragon (1 - 10 of 32 books)
  • Savage Dragon, Vol. 2: A Force to Be Reckoned With