Start by marking “Massive Change” as Want to Read:
Massive Change

Massive Change

Massive Change is a modern illustrated primer on the new inventions, technologies, and events that are affecting the human race worldwide. The book is a part of a broader research project by Bruce Mau Design intended to provoke debate and discussion about the future of design culture, broadly defined as the "familiar objects and techniques that are transforming our lives." ...more
Published October 1st 2004 by Phaidon Press

To ask other readers questions about Massive Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Massive Change

Artur Coelho
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Este livro proclama ser não uma obra sobre o mundo do design mas sim sobre o design do mundo. É um objectivo elevado para um retrato de novas tecnologias e tendências culturais que contém a possibilidade de permitir ao homem redesenhar o planeta. Do urbanismo à engenharia genética, passando por meta-materiais, ciência avançada, organização económica e à inevitável influência militar, Massive Change mostra-nos possibilidades de redesenhar as sociedades, combater os maiores problemas com que a civ ...more
Ryan
Apr 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
In the words of author and designer Bruce Mau, "Massive Change is not about the world of design; it's about the design of the world."

The design of the world is a daunting and broad subject for a book, but somehow the Mau largely delivers on his promise. Massive Change is structured as a series of vignettes focusing on different subjects — bioengineering, housing huge populations, information communication and visualization, eradicating disease, militarism and war, etc. Within each chapter, inter
Abraham
Sep 30, 2013 rated it liked it
An exciting book to get into - I love all those OMA-related big colorful books. The problem is that this is one of those visionary books that attempts to throw a big WOW over the nauseating forward motion of science and technology. That would be great if this weren't already fairly dated - nothing fades faster than the big wow of what technology will do to our way of being than a hint of being dated. And it'd not dated enough to be a nostalgic walk through the future of the past.

Still, some of
Gary
Aug 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: design
This book tries to motivate society to think of the entirety of humanity when faced with an objective. Massive Change is structured in a pick up and glance format (which I didn't know going in, I assume the format was intentional?). Minimal depth, quick interviews, large photos with brief motivational statements. More of a coffee table book than anything, this book will only function in that setting. Sitting down to read this cover to cover is more frustrating than enjoyable because of its lack ...more
Dylan
Jun 18, 2007 rated it liked it
This is the kind of book you don't read from cover to cover, but rather pick up off the table and read bits and pieces of from time to time, or just look at the pictures. The urban planning and sustainability sections are a little hard for me to get through since they contain essentially very basic information of the type I deal with every day at work, but presented as if they're the most radical notions ever put in print. And my brother-in-law Caleb is mentioned in the acknowledgments/contribut ...more
Damon
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Its more of a coffee table book. Simple spreads about a topic or a person of interest vision on what is out there to be done in this field. Ultimately Mau is trying to perform the binding of many fields together in one book under the title of design. The article on Curitiba, Brazil made me completely re-think urban rapid transit to encapsulate something that is a more open system (buses with movable docking terminals that can grow and change with a city instead of a closed system like a rails.
Chris
Jan 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book takes on a huge challenge and doesn't completely succeed. It doesn't completely fail either. The book is well-organized and beautiful to look at. There are interviews with people who are prominent in various areas of industrial design and related fields. The themes are important: Responsibility, sustainability, the application of technology to human problems. It made me want to learn more.
Jack
Mar 02, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Architects, artists, designers, engineers, students, maybe everyone
This is a hugely important book to me.

Everytime I need some direction, am depressed with the state of the world, and/or I don't know what the hell is going on with my life, I have to read this book.

It's hopeful and optimistic to a degree that I could never be; a perfect foil, if you would. This book could be my mentor in design.

It was, and still is an absolute must-read for me.
Pierre
Jun 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Visionaries
Our world is changing ever more rapidly and at ever larger scale. Contributing essayists give a glimpse of our future ranging from information and science to medicine and health to infrastructure and the environment.

I am a policy analyst dealing with clean energy and the environment and find this book to be very uplifting that we can indeed meet the challenges of this new century.
Michael
Mar 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
So smart! People too often write design off as trivial because they think that it is just about "making things pretty."
Joshua
Oct 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Read this a while ago, basic overview of developments. However it read like techno-sensationalism. No challenges to social structures or bases of problems.
Ian
Aug 07, 2007 added it
Full of interesting ideas, some are appealing and some are kind of worrisome. I the basic premise and optimism of the project are refreshing, but I sometimes wondered "were have i heard this before?"
Lori
May 30, 2007 rated it liked it
There are some great photographs in this book and information on new technology related to sustainability.
Charles
Apr 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
bruce mau yo. bruce mau.
Pierre
Mar 04, 2008 rated it it was ok
This pretentious book is hopeful in the feeling that, YEAH WE CAN DO IT! but a big let down when you realize, WHY WE LREADY DOING IT ALL THE TIME AND THERE'S STILL SHITTINESS!
Charlie
Feb 18, 2008 rated it liked it
changing the world through graphic design.
People will notice if you MAKE THE FONT ALL CAPS AND BOLD AND SO THAT IT COVERS AN ENTIRE PAGE SPREAD
Michael Cetrone
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent compilation of where mankind is doing great things around the world in many endeavors that will be important to renewable and sustainable cultures.
Skander
Dec 07, 2008 marked it as to-read
After seeing the exhibit, I need to get a copy and devour it.
Faye
Sep 08, 2008 is currently reading it
designing designing systems
Andy
Dec 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
this is a great eclectic mix of crazy thoughts. it's visual. The exhibit, while it was in Chicago, was great as well.
David
Sep 05, 2010 is currently reading it
Excellent source for urban planners, alternative energy companies, architects, etc. The book focuses on what we should do by exploring what we should expect in the future.
Moses
Sep 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not really a reading-type of material. Never finished due to disinterest.
David Witte
May 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Great resource for new approaches and ideas developed and being developed out there. It was fascinating.
Vikas Tekwani
  • The Look of Architecture
  • Making Things Talk: Practical Methods for Connecting Physical Objects
  • Design Writing Research
  • Landscape Graphics
Mau was born in Sudbury, Ontario. He studied at the Ontario College of Art & Design in Toronto, but left prior to graduation in order to join the Fifty Fingers design group in 1980. He stayed there for two years, before crossing the ocean for a brief sojourn at Pentagram in the UK. Returning to Toronto a year later, he became part of the founding triumvirate of Public Good Design and Communica ...more