Start by marking “The North Runner” as Want to Read:
The North Runner

The North Runner

The North Runner is a true and moving story of the building of trust between a man and an exceptional dog that was half wolf, half Alaskan Malamute, and the resulting mutual affection and respect between them.
Published September 17th 2003 by Natural Heritage (first published March 1979)

To ask other readers questions about The North Runner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The North Runner

Start your review of The North Runner
Waboose Adventures
Jul 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book changed my life.
Tagra
Apr 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Possibly one of my favourite books of all time. Very detailed and touching.
Davide
Dec 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: canadian, 1976-2000
Non sono riuscito a finirlo perché non mi piaceva. Racconta la storia di un cane selvaggio che impara ad amare il suo padrone.
manatee
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a classic dog and his boy wilderness adventure story if you don't mind that the dog disembowels a moose, a bear ,a coyote and a cat. Some of the passages in this book are beautiful and some are clunky and downright disturbing. I don't think that either Cesar or Victoria would approve of the author's training method. He never hits the dog, but I do wonder if it is a good idea to leave a wolf-dog unsupervised with collies for the first time.

Still, it is a great read for dog lovers. The au
Lisa Kearns
Jan 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book by R.D. Lawrence I've read, and after reading it I've ordered half a dozen of his others.

North Runner is the honest, touching tale of a man who buys an abused wolf/dog hybrid named Yukon for his dog sled team. The dog is half wild and trusts nobody, and the man is lonely and looking for meaning in his life.

Over time the man and dog learn to trust and respect each other and become so close they can feel each other's emotions. They travel the North Woods together, camping, h
Karen Martin
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I read this decades ago, and it propelled me to read other books by the same author.

I very much enjoyed revisiting the author - a writer/naturalist - and his years living in the pristine wilderness with Yukon, his wolf dog.

Lawrence is poetic with his descriptive prose, especially that of the wilds of northern Ontario, Manitoba and B.C. You can hear the crunch of the snow after a blizzard, smell the pine tar, hear the jays and raven in the stillness.

Though the book shares the many trials and har
Andrea
Nov 24, 2014 rated it liked it
What made this book interesting was the description of the Canadian north and the dog Yukon. It took patience to get into the story as Lawrence is not a gripping writer. But it is worth reading if this topic is of interest to you. I have to say the ending bothered me and seemed a little trite and self-serving. I won't give it away but I thing the writer embellished the ending in order to not appear callous and self-serving. ...more
Jackie
Jun 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have read. The author is a biologist who pays attention to even the smallest of living things in my magnificent country that he explores with his wonderful half wolf, half Malamute, Yukon. The story of their love and respect for each other will make you laugh and cry. Great book!!!
Pat Parkhurst
Sep 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a book!!! Love Yukon! I don't think I'll ever forget this book of wondrous adventure. ...more
Diane Wachter
RDC-M V 4 1979, 7/81. An adventure story about the bond between a wolf-husky and a man. Good.
Lee Yahnker
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A man who moves to the wilds of Canada. Stories of Yukon, his favorite dog, which is half wolf, and his experiences as they live off the land.
Chad Jamieson
Rakeb
Jan 03, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Words By Heart
  • Long Lost  (Myron Bolitar, #9)
  • Intruder
  • The Ickabog
  • O Chapeleiro e o Vento
  • A Sereia e os Gigantes
  • O Meu Avô
  • March: Book One (March, #1)
  • Sphinx
  • Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths
  • Achimpa
  • Buddha, Vol. 1: Kapilavastu (Buddha #1)
  • Habibi
  • The Handmaid's Tale: The Graphic Novel
R.D. Lawrence was a Canadian naturalist and wildlife author. Born aboard ship in the Bay of Biscay off the coast of Spain on September 12, 1921, he moved to Canada in 1954. RD Lawrence died of Alzheimer's on November 27, 2003 in Haliburton County, Ontario, Canada.

RD Lawrence's many books are published in 26 countries and 15 languages and take us to animal habitats far from humans; to the boreal fo