Start by marking “His Insignificant Other” as Want to Read:
His Insignificant Other

His Insignificant Other

3.06  ·  Rating details ·  82 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
"His Insignificant Other" is one of the funniest and most endearing debut novels to hit the shelf since "Bridget Jones's Diary." With a freshness and wit that is at times laugh-out-loud funny, at others heartbreaking, Karen V. Siplin brings to life a truly memorable character. "They say there are few guarantees in life, but when you're a woman on the verge of turning thirt ...more
Published May 28th 2002 by Free Press

To ask other readers questions about His Insignificant Other, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Insignificant Other

Amber
Sep 10, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
read this over the weekend while camping. Held my interest, but might have a hit a little too close to home in some areas. Not quite in the right mood for it when I read it. Story about a woman dealing with jealousy issues with her boyfriend and his ex, and how she deals with him cheating on her.
Titilayo
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book gave me the feeling that some one had watched all my relationships and my friends' relationship & then transcribed our insecurities into the main character's thoughts. It was eerie. I have definitely been there and done that when it comes to trying to balance myself, my career, my friends, and my man against outside forces. In this case the outside forces was another woman, but sometimes in life you find yourself competing against sports, family, friends, drugs, alcohol, an ...more
Mia
Aug 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I agree with prior reviews that this book did hit a little too close to home. I'm a little angry right now at the way it ended because I feel it was just a little bit too easy for her to run to LA. All the pieces just happened to come together - I don't buy it. It also bothers me to read/see women like her. Women who are so weak and stay in a friendship/relationship because that's all they know.

Like I said, I'm a little angry! But overall, quick and fun read.
Shonell Bacon
Jun 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My FAVE book of Siplin's, and I love them all!
Kim
Oct 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
Too unrealistic. The story begins with the ex coming into the current girlfriend's apartment asking about the boyfriend and for a glass of water and a place to stay.
C.C. Solomon
Sep 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
I love this writer. She writes outside the box of what is typical for african american and tells a good cross cultural story.
Trish Ruthven
Mar 12, 2011
Anna
Feb 20, 2017
Dans
rated it did not like it
Jul 18, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
See Karen Siplin

KAREN SIPLIN was born in the Crown Heights section of Brooklyn, New York and raised in Coney Island. She attended John Dewey High School in Bensonhurst, and received her Bachelor of Arts degree in Film Production from CUNY's Hunter College.

Her first novel, His Insignificant Other (Simon & Schuster 2002), was a Borders Original Voices selection and named one of Cosmopolitan Maga