Start by marking “Stars and Planets (DK Eyewitness)” as Want to Read:
Stars and Planets (DK Eyewitness)

Stars and Planets (Eyewitness Handbooks)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  95 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
Eyewitness Stars and Planets handbooks are ideal for field use or as home references. Each photograph has ample identifying information, plus diagrams to provide a comprehensive, concise guide. A practical guide to the night sky that can be used by amateur astronomers anywhere in the world. Features entries on all 88 constellations of the northern and southern hemisphere s ...more
Published September 15th 1998 by DK Publishing (Dorling Kindersley)

To ask other readers questions about Stars and Planets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stars and Planets

James M. Madsen, M.D.
I haven't seen the Princeton Guides or Smithsonian versions of Ian Ridpath's book, and I don't know how they differ from this one. However, whenever I see anything published by Dorling Kindersley, I know that I can count on colorful and well-presented visual depictions. This book is no exception. It's attractively and intelligently laid out and is the next level up (with more of an emphasis on targets for binoculars and telescopes) from A Walk through the Heavens and Patterns in the Sky.
Erin Lynn
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not many people I know now know that I had a fascination with star gazing when I was little. I did, and I still keep this book today, even though it is old and worn.

I don't even remember who gave it to me, but I love it. It is a good guide, and I refer to it from time to time, especially during the summer when there is really nothing to do. The images are easy enough for a child to understand, but full of enough information that you really do learn something about the night sky and planets. Even
Ryan
Apr 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
I like this book because it talkes about every thing scientests know about stars and planets. You would like this book if you like real things of space books.You could find this book in a school librery.
Shannon Stevens
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book has information about the Solar System and Constellations. It also has star charts. It is a great reference book and introduction to Astronomy.
Lee
Feb 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Pretty good. But I wouldn't read this as your only guide for the stars since its sorta out of date.
Renee
Aug 13, 2013
Nikki
Dec 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Stars: A Guide to the Constellations, Sun, Moon, Planets, and Other Features of the Heavens
  • A Field Guide to Stars and Planets (Peterson Field Guides)
  • Burnham's Celestial Handbook: An Observer's Guide to the Universe Beyond the Solar System, Volume 1: Andromeda Through Cetus
  • The Stardust Revolution: The New Story of Our Origin in the Stars
  • Skywatching
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)
  • Nightwatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe
  • The Five Ages of the Universe: Inside the Physics of Eternity
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to the Night Sky (Audubon Society Field Guide Series)
  • Cook's Illustrated Guide to Grilling & Barbecue
  • How It Began: A Time-Traveler's Guide to the Universe
  • The Space Book: From the Beginning to the End of Time, 250 Milestones in the History of Space  Astronomy
  • Hubble: Imaging Space and Time
  • A Field Guide to Reptiles and Amphibians: Eastern and Central North America (Peterson Field Guides)
  • The Stars: A New Way to See Them
  • Bang!: The Complete History of the Universe
  • National Geographic Picture Atlas of Our Universe
  • The Copernicus Complex: Our Cosmic Significance in a Universe of Planets and Probabilities
Ian William Ridpath is an English amateur astronomer, who has been an active observer, writer, editor, and broadcaster, on the subject since 1972. He is also known for his UFO skepticism, an interest in astro-philately, marathon running (having participated in the London Marathon dressed as Halley’s Comet) and, most recently, horse racing.

Ridpath has an equally varied and productive professional l
More about Ian Ridpath...

Eyewitness Handbooks (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Eyewitness Handbook of Trees (Eyewitness Handbooks)
  • DK Handbook: Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises
  • Wildflowers Of Britain And Northwest Europe (Dk Handbooks)
  • Wild Flowers of the Mediterranean
  • Butterflies and Moths
  • Rocks & Minerals (Smithsonian Handbooks)
  • Smithsonian Handbooks: Birds of the World (Smithsonian Handbooks)
  • Dogs
  • DK Handbooks: Cats
  • Birds Eggs (DK Handbooks)