Start by marking “Get a Grip on Philosophy” as Want to Read:
Get a Grip on Philosophy

Get a Grip on Philosophy

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  141 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
A series of entertaining, informative science guides for non-scientists. Pocket-size design. Illustrated with cartoons throughout.
Published October 1st 1998 by Time Life Education (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Get a Grip on Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Get a Grip on Philosophy

Keith
I got this as a gift—from my mother, I think, and well-meaning I'm sure regardless—and it took me years to slog my way through it because, despite my love for philosophy and my desire to get a better overview of it from ancient Greece to today, I just plain didn't like this.

It is, in fact, a reasonably digestible overview of the entire history of Western philosophy in a mere 192 pages, so of course it's going to leave important bits out, and reduce everything—including major concepts and people—
James Badger
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is one of several introductions to philosophy I will be reading in the near future. I am currently looking for ways to incorporate more philosophy into my high school English curriculum, which is why I have so many introductory philosophy books in my cue.

This book is handsomely printed, and it was the binding of this book which drew me to it more than anything else. While the text itself does provide an overview of philosophy, it was not really an effective overview of philosophy. At times
Paula
Aug 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
The short, short version of the history of philosophy. Mentions the highlights of some of the greatest philosophers, from pre-Aristotelian thinkers to some of the more recent, more recognizable postmodernists. Written in a conversational style that might make some of the more difficult concepts easier to novices in the field.

The author also pushed the idea about philosophy not being "dead" but being an important part of everyone's life, despite an increasing dependence on technology and science.
Justin Hermiz
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this book is a beginners guide on understanding philosophy. it gives you a basic understanding of philosophies from early man to modern day. it can help you understand how philosophies are different, alike, and all connected in some way.

i gave it five stars because i was so unaware of how many philosophies there are and the reasons behind them. I'm already a huge fan of philosophical books.

"it is through an awareness of death that we come to appreciate the reality of our own being and we become
Richard
Writing general reader overviews on a topic such as the history of Western philosophy is most often a thankless task. Any author brave enough to take on the challenge and produce something intelligible is consequently deserving of respect. That said, I would not recommend this book. Turnbull suggests that there are three basic views of philosophy: technocratic, Philistine, and Romantic/revolutionary. The author clearly favors the third. In this group moreover, he places Socrates, Marx, Nietzsche ...more
an
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
buku ini memenani rhe selama 2 minggu habis kecelakaan sampe g bisa jalan. kerjaan cuma nangkring di kamar doang ma ni buku.

kenapa suka???
karena selama ini filsafat terkesan berat dan identik ma orang" tua ubanan. tapi ni buku dibawain dengan ringan, full color ma gambar.
seru banget, klo biasa na anak muda (cie... sok ngaku muda)bosen baca gituan (yg full teks maksud na), buku ini bisa jd pilihan yg g bosenin.

tokoh filsuf fovorit rhe dalem buku ini adl Desiderius Erasmus. jadi pengen pake nama i
Jewel
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy, favorites
This book reads exactly as the opening few pages describe the book, like a conversation. As you read this book, you feel like you have a good friend sitting in front of you explaining the entrails of the godfather of liberal arts; Philosophy.

I loved this book. Though I already have a general knowledge of (mainly Greek, Asian and German) philosophy I was very entertained by this book. Full of funny little cartoons to emphasis points, this book really break down the basics of philosophy. It's also
Yuni Ananindra
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sebenarnya, buku nonfiksi dengan ketebalan kurang dari dua ratus halaman ini bisa diselesaikan dalam waktu kurang dari dua minggu. Tapi, berhubung waktu baca kepotong sama sakit dan pura-pura sibuk akhirnya buku ini mesti dikembalikan ke perpustakaan. :|

Buku ini cocok untuk pemula yang ingin tahu tentang seluk-beluk dunia filsafat. Di sini dijelaskan secara singkat perjalanan filsafat termasuk beberapa teori dan para tokoh sentralnya (meski saya nggak hapal ini ><). Disajikan secara "sant

Willy Akhdes
Mar 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I finished reading this book in three hours in a public library in my town. I had to stay inside library due to heavy rain outside. This book is a 'light' introduction philosophy book which can cater all kind of reader. Paul Arden, the author is a philosophy lecture. He delivers a brief history of philosophy since Socrates era till modern age in entertaining way. Fully depicted with informative illustration.
Jori Richardson
Nov 24, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book, approaching the subject of philosophy in an entertaining, unfazing manner, covers the basics of the field. I would say that it is written at a middle or high school reading level.
Personally, I did not enjoy this book. I don't feel that it's all that helpful to be cracking jokes about anything and everything in a beginner's philosophy book, and the attempted "comedy," which got old very quickly, was just annoying.
Steven
An abbreviated approach to the history of Western philosophy that hits many of the major ideas. Yet it still manages to advance a particular view of philosophy as a discipline that asks philosophical questions rather than "technical" questions, i.e. questions asked and answered by experts. Turnbull argues, with a light touch, that we are all philosophers because we can all ask and potentially answer philosophical questions.
Eric Harrill
If you can get your hands on this one you'll love it--quite a delightful read I must say. Very condensed but a great treatment of philosophy. Great illustrations on every page. The pre-socratics were purer in their philosophizings. Plato was in the age of the technocrats--the corruption. Our modern age holds many of its forms. Few things I learned.
Sue
Jan 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have only just begun reading philosophy and found this book amusingly interesting. The optimistic ending is great.
Cassandra Carico
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
A simple overview.
Damian
Jan 30, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I used to read this to my ex-girlfriend at bed time.
Nick Cox
Nov 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Biased and over-simplified in places with some important omissions, but overall thought-provoking if read with an open mind and a critical attitude to the text.
Neil
May 05, 2008 rated it it was ok
Quick overview of philosophy for the novices.
Natalia Xavier
Jan 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
O texto não flui, é todo picotado. Não achei legal de ler.
David
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was ok
Didn't finish it. Had promise but in the end decided to spend my time reading something else.
Mar
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Great, down to earth and easy to undertand book to engage non-philosophy readers :)
Barbara
Apr 30, 2009 rated it liked it
A very high-level overview of philosophy... helps with understanding "Lost" characters and ideas!
M.E.
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: summer-2011
A good intro to many philosopher's theories, but in its attempt to stay simple, many of the more complex concepts become inconsolably convoluted.
Daniela Lazar
Sep 10, 2009 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
I am reading the English version, but they did not have it on here.
Mason
the absolute tip top tippiest tip top of the iceberg on the subject. good for a basic intro.
Emily Brake
  • The Serpents of Paradise: A Reader
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2003
  • I Can See You Naked
  • Medical Terminology: A Short Course
  • Integrity Selling for the 21st Century: How to Sell the Way People Want to Buy
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2002
  • Evil: A Primer: A History of a Bad Idea from Beelzebub to Bin Laden
  • FYI: For Your Improvement, A Guide for Development and Coaching
  • Liberty and Power: The Politics of Jacksonian America
  • On the Mystery: Discerning Divinity in Process
  • Mid-Course Correction: Toward a Sustainable Enterprise: The Interface Model
  • The Big Book of Tell Me Why: Answers to Hundreds of Questions Children Ask
  • Bodhisattva of Compassion: The Mystical Tradition of Kuan Yin (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • A Brief History of Western Philosophy
  • My Blue Notebooks: The Intimate Journal of Paris's Most Beautiful and Notorious Courtesan
  • The Articulate Executive: Learn to Look, ACT, and Sound Like a Leader