Start by marking “The Family Virtues Guide: Simple Ways to Bring Out the Best in Our Children and Ourselves” as Want to Read:

The most important job parents have is to pass basic virtues on to their children, and this invaluable book is designed to help make that job a little easier. Compiled by The Virtues Project, an international organization dedicated to inspiring spiritual growth in young and old alike, this multicultural, interfaith handbook shows parents and teachers how to turn words into ...more
Published June 1st 1997 by Plume Books

To ask other readers questions about The Family Virtues Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Family Virtues Guide

Start your review of The Family Virtues Guide: Simple Ways to Bring Out the Best in Our Children and Ourselves
Kay
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spiritual, teaching
I was looking for a "spiritual" book to share ideas and virtues with my children, without weighing them down with too much religious ideology or dogma and this book came up. I've been reading the introductory chapters about how to parent and am finding myself saying, "YES!" and "Thank You!" and "wow! Great idea!" the whole time. But, that part aside, I was really excited to see how the author described each of the 52 virtues included and was thankful to see that she made it all very ...more
Mathilde
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love that book ... allows to tackle 52 virtues explained in simple words. I have it handy and refer to it all the time. Although there is a definition on Compassion ... I don't agree with it fully especially after our weekend of workshop!!
Also lots of brilliant ideas on how to apply 'The family virtues guide' in your family ... and how to feel empowered as a parent ... parent as educator, authority, guide, counselor ...
A 'must read' when working with families !!!
Christi
Jan 12, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: always-reading
The Montessori School where our children have/ do/ will attend uses this guide for weekly virtues lessons. I've decided to read the book to hopefully better implement the lessons at home to reinforce what they learn in school.
Kirsten
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I have had this book for years. It's a simple reference book that has versatile use in many settings. I've used it with children at home and in classrooms, with older youth, and with adult meditation groups. It has also been a well-received gift to teachers.
Kara
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. I thought it was really well done, and described a lot of the virtues that are missing from our society. There is a virtue for each week of the year and the sections are divided up really well. I'm buying a copy as a general overview of why virtues are important to society at large.
Lynette
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book literally changed the way I parented my children and helped me see them differently, as beings full of gems awaiting development. The Five Strategies outlined have informed my life as a parent and as a person. I often use them and refer to them as guidelines for interacting successfully with others. It is a book and an approach that has the potential for everyone to create a happy home, a supportive workplace and a healthy community.
Emily
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a valuable tool for teaching children (and adults!) what virtues are, why they are important, and how to put them in to practice in daily life! As a family we're choosing one virtue to focus on each week. We meet on Sunday afternoons and discuss the virtue using the information given in The Family Virtues Guide, reinforce the information with games based on the charts and scenarios they provide, and then remind each other throughout the week what we're working on. I really like the use of ...more
Maritza
Parenting is the most complex and important activity on the planet. Parents are a child's first educator, yet they receive little or no training for this vital role.

The Virtues Project helps parents to awaken the qualities of character that exist in potential in their children. By speaking the language of virtues, setting virtues-based boundaries and recognizing teachable moments, we bring out the best in our children -- and ourselves. We become mentors helping our children to become
Lisa
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
a beautiful book if you can overlook all the religiousness screaming out in some sections. reminds me of the simple things that we need to embrace as humans living this human experience.

I have just order this book on half.com. I have already wanted to go back to it twice. I think it will be so great to have on hand when things come up for all us.
Lisa
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The number one thing I like about this book is the simple ideas it gives to bring out the best in our children and ourselves. The comprehensive list of virtues, their definitions, and simple ways to practice that value make this book a go to book when disucssing virtues/values with my children.
Tori (Book Chick)
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Has 52 virtues with small lessons, so a virtue per week. I will be using it at home and with the kids I mentor. I do think, however, I will be building off the author's ideas, not just sticking to what's in the book.
Kimberly
Aug 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
An amazing guide for families wishing to strengthen their core virtues and instill a TRUE understanding of them in their children. The book contains suggestions for focusing on one virtue per week, for an entire year...including discussions of how implementing each virtue might look. BRAVO!
Theresa
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I truly cherish this book. The language I use with my children is deeply empowering for the entire family.
Jody Chang
Oct 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A really excellent guide on how to develop virtues as a family --how to inspire both kids and adults in moral and spiritual development. I found it extremely inspiring and helpful.
Barry
Mar 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
We've been using this book to teach a virtue each week (or so) with our kids. We really like it.
Christian
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Almost perfect....but in the end good parenting is responsible for everything and touches everyone. Cheers.
Maria
Feb 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
We've been using this book with our kids for the past year. We really like it. It has 52 different virtues which lets you focus on one per week. We have found it very useful
Leila T.
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Very necessary for anyone involved in children's education.
Claudia
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Fantastic book that sets up a 52-week strategy for intentionally educating children about virtues and values in the home, while involving all family members in the process.
Longnguyen
Apr 12, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shana
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
This was a big book of nothing IMO. The concept is great, but what was "usable" to me could have been taken written in an essay. It's good for reference though! Could have been better though.
Connie
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, a must read for teaching your kids values.
Elizabeth
CK
Apr 04, 2018
May 21, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Bruce's Big Move (A Mother Bruce Book)
  • What Do You Do with a Problem?
  • The Final Cut (A Brit in the FBI, #1)
  • What Do You Do with an Idea?
  • Better Than Carrots or Sticks: Restorative Practices for Positive Classroom Management
  • Circle Forward: Building a Restorative School Community
  • Hacking School Discipline: 9 Ways to Create a Culture of Empathy and Responsibility Using Restorative Justice (Hack Learning Series Book 22)
  • The Self-Care Revolution: smart habits & simple practices to allow you to flourish
  • Happy?: What It Is and How to Find It
  • Hacking Leadership: 10 Ways Great Leaders Inspire Learning That Teachers, Students, and Parents Love
  • Stand Tall like a Mountain: Mindfulness and Self-Care for Children and Parents
  • Master the Media: How Teaching Media Literacy Can Save Our Plugged-in World
  • Temple Grandin: How the Girl Who Loved Cows Embraced Autism and Changed the World
  • One Good Deed
  • The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3)
  • Harry Clarke
  • Patriot Games (Jack Ryan, #1)
  • Steal Like an Artist: 10 Things Nobody Told You About Being Creative