Start by marking “The Day the Earth Stood Still” as Want to Read:
The Day the Earth Stood Still

The Day the Earth Stood Still

3.62  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
A full-length version of the short story upon which the world-famous film was based. With photos from the movie.
Mass Market Paperback
Published 1976 by Scholastic Book Services

To ask other readers questions about The Day the Earth Stood Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day the Earth Stood Still

Christine
Nov 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I haven't read this, but I cannot find the original short story anywhere on Goodreads. The original short is by Harry Bates and is entitled "Farewell to the Master". This a very interesting short story; from what I understand it deals with a few ideas and themes that the films do not. If you like the movie and want to know more about Gnut, you should find a copy of "Farewell to the Master".

I'd recommend it for all sci-fi lovers.
Myra Beatrice
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
As other readers have expressed in their reviews, this book seems quite dated now; however, having read other books from this time period and earlier, I don't think that is the main problem. The writing style is extremely simple, which led me at times to feel that it was surely written with a rather young audience in mind, except that the themes or reasoning behind people's actions were often based on things (political disputes, wanting advance payment on a job, etc.) which a person that young m ...more
Daniel
Nov 30, 2007 rated it did not like it
And so, this is not the original story, nor is it a novelization of the film, but something in between.

It is strange, is what it is.

It bears almost no resemblance to the film (though I can see where, if this were a short story, one might get the idea for the film) and so it seems like lying to have it bear the same title and include photos from the picture.

What it makes me think of the most, is someone (Elwood?) capitalizing on the renewed (in the mid-1970's) interest in the film.

Don't bother se
Marts  (Thinker)
Oct 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Also with both 1951 and 2008 supporting movies, the original is ok, of course this follows this story, however Hollywood made a host of changes for the re-make, it still was quite ok though. Yes its a good story, but not one of my favourites.
Sean Randall
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Without having seen the film this is quite typical vintage pulp. Stirred nothing inside sadly.
P.S. Winn
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved the movie even though campy and old school. I had to read he book, still intriguing
A.
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
This book was hilarious, but I don't think it was supposed to be.
Leanne Ellis
Aug 06, 2008 rated it did not like it
This sci fi short story may have inspired a classic movie, but the story is EXTREMELY dated.
Dave The
Basic, short and simple for this day and age.
Justin Hall
May 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
Boring, don't quite understand how this was popular.
Thomas Eiden