Start by marking “Hair Of The Dog (Melanie Travis Mysteries, #4)” as Want to Read:
Hair Of The Dog (Melanie Travis Mysteries, #4)

Hair Of The Dog

(Melanie Travis #4)

The dog days of summer have just begun, and Melanie Travis is looking forward to savoring each lazy afternoon. School's out, her son's at camp, even her rambunctious Standard Poodle is taking a break from the show ring. And where better to enjoy herself than at her Aunt Peg's Fourth of July barbecue attended by members of Connecticut's most elite kennel clubs? It sounds id ...more
Published 1997 by Kensington Books

To ask other readers questions about Hair Of The Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hair Of The Dog

Heidi Burkhart
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am really enjoying these cozy mysteries. They are all about dog shows, dog owners, and pets. Of course there is always a little murder thrown in.
Dena
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another keeper. Love Melanie. Dog lovers will enjoy every moment of these!
Georgette
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just ordered the next 5 books in the series. Does that tell you how much I love this series.
Dyana
Apr 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One thing about these books so far is that Melanie Travis doesn't have to trip over policemen meddling in her sleuthing attempts. They are rarely mentioned - she blithely does her own thing and she's never a problem for them. This is another lighthearted cozy mystery with plenty to learn about dog grooming, maintenance, showing, and breeding.

It's summertime and school is out so Melanie is available when Aunt Peg wants to put on a Fourth of July barbeque, because Aunt Peg hasn't had a chance to
Bridget
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-reads
I have been reading these books out of order, but it's not really a problem, since each stands well enough on its own.

In this one, Melanie Travis' aunt, Peg, who is a breeder of Standard Poodles and a force unto herself, holds a Fourth of July barbecue. Because it is on the weekend of a major regional dog show, most of the whos-who group is in attendance, with one noticeable exception. An important - but shady - breeder and handler has been murdered.

Aunt Peg is determined to find out what happ
Mary Foster
Part documentary, part mystery

Berenson spends more time with Melanie's explanations of dog show details than with solving the whodunit. Gets a little tedious, and the mystery wraps up almost as an afterthought.
Susan
Dec 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm getting a little tired of the dog shows and the repetition of dog prep and backstories. I need a long gap before trying the next one.
Chris Leuchtenburg
Mild mystery infused with a love of dog shows and dogs.
Margaret Osburn
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Library find. Written well. Easy read.
Lynne
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Honestly I can't say I really was interested in who killed Barry and Bill and who was the father of Alicia's baby.
Shawnee
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Who's your daddy?
Liisa
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow in a couple places, but a good plot.
andrea
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-book
This is really turning out to be a pretty mediocre cozy series. Mysteries themselves aren't particularly clever or well plotted...writing is pretty mundane...pacing of the story seems extremely poor...characters aren't very interesting. The most positive thing I can say is they don't take long to read.
Hope to see improvements or I pry won't read many more of this series
Eileen
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little predictable (I had the killer pegged halfway through the book), but a fun read as a dog owner and lover, nevertheless.
Julesy
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I agree with the other reviewers that there were too details on dog shows and poodle grooming. However, since this is the mystery of a dog handler who was murdered, it is not unexpected to see all these details. They do become boring and repetitious by this fourth book so hopefully the next books we won't read as many details.

I didn't enjoy this book as much as the previous 3, not so much because of all the dog stuff but because it seems like the mystery didn't really go anywhere until more tha
Alise HARRIS
Jun 30, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4th-of-july
Let me start by saying that the only reason I got this book was it was supposed to be about July 4th. That part was over after chapter 2, and all it really said was Melanie's aunt was throwing a cookout for July 4th. I tried to read one of Berenson's dog books before, and couldn't get through it. This one wasn't any better. Unless you are a dog show person, these books are very boring. All they do is talk about dog shows, and dog grooming, and dog breeding. I, personally, find these people ridic ...more
Kristin L.
I have got to be honest - I really skipped around a lot in this book. I love stories with dogs in them and I enjoy watching dog shows, I really do. However, I thought this book had way too much detailed information and too much time spent on poodle grooming and maintenence. The story did need some background information on the world of competitive dog shows, but again I thought that the details started to get in the way of the actual plot line. Still, I am willing to pick up another book my this ...more
Sarahanne
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some authors make me smile when I remember that I'm in the middle of one of their books. Like knowing you have dinner in the crockpot. I know I will be engaged and entertained. I'll have fun reading and there won't be a lot of effort involved.

I feel that way with Laurien Berenson. Just knowing that I have a couple more books in this line already on my Kindle is a cozy thought.
Patty
Jun 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though perhaps i learned more than I'll ever need to know about poodle grooming, I found this book a light, satisfying read. Like a salad, on a hot day, instead of a heavy full course meal. Berenson writes smoothly and her characters are well-drawn and familiarly recognizable as, well, fond acquaintances.
Michael crage
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was not only a very interesting murder mystery, but if you were not a dog lover before reading it, you almost would have to be afterwards. I have read other books by the author and thought she spent too much of her time at dog shows, That problem was corrected in this book. Not only was less time spent at dog shows, but when there, other things were done besides grooming and showing dogs.
Emily Cullen
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When a disliked dog handler is gunned down, his girlfriend asks Melanie Travis to investigate. I am really enjoying the Melanie Travis cozy mystery series. I like following along as the characters evolve with every book and the mysteries are good too. This series has a lot about dog shows and dogs in general in it so if you're not a dog lover it might be a turn-off.
Candy
Apr 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the dog show parts of Laurien's stories, since I'm new to conformation myself. I can relate to a lot of Melanie's experiences, except for the murder! I enjoy this series of mysteries for an easy read and puzzling mystery.
Darinda
The 4th book in the Melanie Travis mystery series by Laurien Berenson. Melanie enjoys showing her poodle in dog shows. Also, she often finds herself playing amateur sleuth in mysteries involving the people she meets through the hobby. Fun and entertaining cozy mystery.
Anne
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another delightful book in the mysteries which should appral to dog lovers and mystery lovers alike. This time Melanie is involved with a less than nice handler and when he is killed, his girlfriend enlists Melanie to find out whodunnit.
Arlene Downey
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A murder or two

But is it dog related? Or is it something else? Melanie is asked to look into the shooting death of a dog handler that nobody liked very much!

Interesting descriptions of dog shows and what goes on behind the scenes.
Becky Galambos
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rereading through the series, this is still one of the best dog themed cozy mystery series. Just right for grabbing for a read by the fire after a stressful day.
Susan
May 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute, cozy mystery series. This is book 4, I think. Lots of dogs and dog shows, so I love them, since anything doggie is good. ;-) Good beach reading.
Louann
Mar 31, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good
Sue Kozlowski
Aug 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series, mystery
Okay - Someone kills Barry Turk and the Bill. Not that great.
AJ
Jan 06, 2015 added it
Recommends it for: No one in particular--see review
Recommended to AJ by: No one
Review to come

Stopped at page 63 (before chapter 6).

• Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)
  • The Dog Who Knew Too Much (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #2)
  • The House on Bloodhound Lane
  • Parrots Prove Deadly (Pru Marlowe, #3)
Laurien Berenson is the bestselling author of the Melanie Travis canine mystery series. Her books revolve around the world of dog shows, a milieu she knows well as her family has been involved in the sport of dogs for three generations. There are currently twenty-three Melanie Travis mysteries, including the newest book, BITE CLUB.

Berenson is a four time winner of the Maxwell Award for Fiction fro

Melanie Travis (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Dog Eat Dog (Melanie Travis, #3)
  • Watchdog (Melanie Travis, #5)
  • Hush Puppy (Melanie Travis, #6)
  • Unleashed (Melanie Travis, #7)
  • Once Bitten (Melanie Travis, #8)
  • Hot Dog (Melanie Travis, #9)
  • Best in Show (Melanie Travis, #10)
  • Jingle Bell Bark (Melanie Travis, #11)