Start by marking “Loving Jesus” as Want to Read:
Loving Jesus

Loving Jesus

The essence of spirituality is loving God, says Powell. The Bible, the Talmud, and the Qu'ran all direct their followers not merely to believe in God, to trust God, to obey God, and to serve God -- but to love God. Can we learn to love God?

In this biblical spirituality for today, Powell's earnest plea is for Christians to revisit their faith not by blazing in religious ent
Published September 1st 2004 by Augsburg Fortress Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Loving Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loving Jesus

Start your review of Loving Jesus
Jean
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Mark Allan Powell is a self-proclaimed "Jesus Freak" and a New Testament scholar with a Phd who teaches New Testament studies at Trinity Lutheran Seminary in Columbus, Ohio.
In this book, "Loving Jesus" he cuts to the heart of Christianity - Jesus and people's relationship to Jesus, both past and present.
According to Powell,(his biblical knowledge not withstanding) the whole point of being Christian is to love God, through Jesus.
He make an excecllent arguement, giving reasonable arguements as to
Lance
Sep 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book with theological depth but yet a good read by a self proclaimed Jesus Freak of the 70's now professor at Trinity Lutheran Seminary.

In the chapter "The Great Truth,", Powell says, "This what is true:
-We are loved by God.
-We are loved by the universe.
-We are loved by life, for God is its source.
-We are loved by love itself, for God is love.
When you love the world about you--your part of the universe--you are only responding to its love for you."

This is a book on relationship Christianit
Dion
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
I'm not sure I've read anything that has changed the way I read the Bible more than this book (since seminary at least).

Mark Allan Powell is of my tribe (a Lutheran) which gave us a common language but in so many other ways he blew my mind open.
But the biggest difference this book has made is that instead of looking forward to dying and going to Heaven, I now live looking to the clouds in the "poetic" hope of seeing Jesus return.
Chris Zuraff
Dec 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pastor-stuff
I like to read books that challenge my convictions; this book did that for me. I am not much of a pietist, but Dr Powell presents Loving Jesus in such a simple, yet convicting way. After all, Loving Jesus couldn't hurt! ;)
April
Jan 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is quite probably one of the best books I've ever read. It's remarkable in that it makes me see Christ in such a way that makes me overflow with love and gratefulness, but also answers some long standing questions I've had about scripture and how to live in a complicated world.
Derek
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love this book and appreciate this 60's Jesus Loving professor. There are several times reading this book that my highlighter was moving with great perspective and quote worthy phrases. This is a good read.
Sandra
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very good! Completed for 2015 Lent.
Heidi
Feb 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, favorites
Reading for the second time, this time along with our congregation. My husband and I agree that it is one of the most insightful books we've read in the past several years.
Jocelyn
May 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Loved this.
Sherry
Nov 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
I love Mark Allan Powell
Patty
Powell was once a member of the congregation that I belong to. He is coming to Virginia this fall to teach a course for my Synod's lay school. I picked up this in case I could attend his classes. I can't go, but I am very glad that I finally read this book.

Much of what Powell writes about is in other devotional literature. He speaks of what attracted him to Christianity, how it has changed his life and what he believes Christians should do to show their love of God. What I liked most about this
Paul Dubuc
I enjoyed this book very much. I couldn't help comparing it to Richard Rohr's Falling Upward: A Spirituality for the Two Halves of Life. Mark Allan Powell has done a much better job of describing my spiritual journey as a "First and Second Naïvetè" than Rohr did with his "First and Second Half" of life model. The focus of Rohr's book seems too much on the self, its "container" and "contents," and its trajectory, "Falling Upward." Powell's focus, as its title indicates, is on what it means to be ...more
Robert S.
Keisa Fruge
Dec 29, 2018
Brent Hudson
Jul 08, 2012

• Socs and Greasers: Behind The Scenes of The Outsiders from Rob Lowe's Stories I Only Tell My Friends
  • The Writing on the Classroom Wall: How Posting Your Most Passionate Beliefs about Education Can Empower Your Students, Propel Your Growth, and Lead to a Lifetime of Learning
  • A Confident Heart Devotional: 60 Days to Stop Doubting Yourself