Start by marking “Minerva Louise and the Colorful Eggs” as Want to Read:
Minerva Louise and the Colorful Eggs

Minerva Louise and the Colorful Eggs (Minerva Louise)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  181 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews

Minerva Louise, the feather-brained fowl Publishers Weekly called "unquestionably a star," is enjoying springtime on the farm . . . until she finds some very peculiar eggs. Blue eggs, pink eggs, striped and spotted eggs.And they’re in the strangest places—which hen is laying her eggs on top of fence posts and under the picnic table? Minerva Louise solves the mystery, and

Published February 2nd 2006 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Minerva Louise and the Colorful Eggs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minerva Louise and the Colorful Eggs

Kathryn
Poor Minerva Louise--she simply can't figure out why all those eggs are oddly colored and sitting around unattended in the strangest places... I'm bumping this up to four stars because I think I would have really liked it as a kid because I would have enjoyed being "in the know" about the true nature of the colored eggs and why they are scattered all about--I always loved being wiser than the characters in books, haha! ;-)
babyhippoface
Mar 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
I love Minerva Louise. She's so sweetly ignorant. When she finds an Easter egg on the ground, she believes a hen has become separated from her baby and determines to reunite them. But then she finds another one! And another! There must be a very unhappy hen somewhere!

I'm always on the lookout for entertaining holiday books to read to classes at school. Good Easter stories are few and far between, so this will definitely go on my list.
Becky
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: Minerva Louise loved the springtime.

Premise/plot: Minerva is very confused by the Easter egg hunt on the farm. She thinks that there's an absent-minded chicken abandoning her eggs ALL over the place. She rounds up the other hens and has them trying to find the eggs to sit on them to keep them warm. Then they notice the "farmers" picking up the eggs. The other hens are content that all is well. But Minerva is still curious! She asks questions of the "brown bunny" and "yellow chic
Vicki
I love Minerva Louise. This book tied in well with an "Egg" themed story time for PreSchoolers, but this doesn't flow quite as well as the original ML story. The children still enjoyed the story and finding the eggs in the earlier pictures.
Shiloah
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute.
Karen
Jun 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
What a sweet little book.
Ina
Apr 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
There is simple text and bright, springtime illustrations and Minerva the chicken. Minerva finds an Easter basket and then some colored eggs. She is worried that mother chicken has lost these eggs and recruits her chicken friends to help save the eggs. The chickens are alarmed until they see the farmer's children picking up the scattered eggs. The story is filled with humor (Minerva tries to talk to a chocolate bunny and sit on an egg on top of a fence post) and my young story time audience love ...more
Teri
Apr 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, easter-children
I had never heard of Minerva Louise. (Another book I found at Albertson's for $1.50. Half off the sale price. It is a hardcover).
Love the colorful illustrations in this picture book. Cute story for Easter about a hen who is a little confused about a Easter egg hunt and the candy of Easter. I would like to read the other books in the series.
Matthew
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's Easter and Minerva is wandering among the festivities. She's most distressed by the colorful and unattended eggs she finds all about her, so she rallies her fellow chickens to find and roost upon these poor forgotten eggs. The whole book is one misread after another and you have to laugh. Nicely done, as per the norm.
Samantha
Mar 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is very cute and simple. Minerva Louise is so sweet. She gets worried about all of the eggs that she was finding because they were different colors (like blue and purple), so she wound up getting the rest of the hens to help her keep them warm. When she returned with them, the eggs were gone! She then found out that the farmers were collecting them. It was an Easter Egg hunt.
Jill
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Our family lives this inquisitive and naive chicken. She is hilarious in all her expeditions around her world. If Amelia Bedelia were to be a chicken, I think she and Minerva Louiseeoukd be friends who understood one another. And now she's exploring the world of colored eggs left untended around the farm. Oh how my kids (and I) laughed at this silly chicken. We love her.
Karen
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Another charming story about confused chicken, Minerva Louise. In this story, she is very worried about eggs laying around the yard with no chickens to warm them. Some of the eggs have even turned blue! Recommend.
Lesley Looper
Mar 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'd never hear of Minerva Louise, but stumbled upon this book on an Easter book list. Pretty darn cute, with colorful illustrations, thanks in part to the Easter egg hunt that Minerva Louise gets involved in!
Molly
Mar 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Minerva Louise and her Mrs. Piggle-Wiggleesque misunderstandings are always a hit at storytime.
Becca
Used in Preschool Easter storytime 3/24/2016
May 07, 2011 rated it liked it
There are oddly colored eggs strewn all over the farm, leading Minerva Louise to conclude that her sister hens are neglecting their duties. Cute story.
Holly
Mar 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Oh, Minerva Louise! So simple minded and perfect for a story to read to little ones! She was so worried about her eggs! Love her books!!
Maya
Very cute.
Dewey
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: st-easter
Pretty simple, cute enough story about a chicken on Easter, trying to keep all the eggs she's finding warm. This could be good as part of a baby or toddler storytime.
Dolly
Mar 22, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009, easter
Cute story about a hen who happens upon an Easter egg hunt in progress and thinks the colorful eggs have been lost. Fun story for kids, especially during Easter.
Christine
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
Cute Easter story about a chicken finding colored eggs.
Brittany Perry
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Very simple and a good one for babies and toddler's easter baskets. the only flaw I see are the illustrations and that is a matter of opinion.
Shauna
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Funny book about a silly hen who doesn't know what to think when she discovers several colorful untended eggs one morning.
Mohammad
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Cows in the Kitchen
  • Hurry! Hurry!
  • Cock-A-Doodle-Hoooo!
  • Max Counts His Chickens (Max and Ruby)
  • Snow
  • Spots, Feathers, and Curly Tails
  • Sheep Trick or Treat
  • Millie Waits for the Mail (Millie's Misadventures)
  • Solomon Crocodile
  • Two at the Zoo
  • I Dream of an Elephant
  • Barnyard Banter
  • Green Wilma, Frog in Space
  • So, What's It Like to Be a Cat?
  • Hello, Day!
  • Foxy and Egg
  • The Night Before Easter
  • Mr. Wolf's Pancakes

Minerva Louise (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Minerva Louise