Start by marking “Minerva Louise on Christmas Eve” as Want to Read:
Minerva Louise on Christmas Eve

Minerva Louise on Christmas Eve

(Minerva Louise)

What is that fat guy in the red suit doing on the roof? wonders Minerva Louise one snowy evening. She follows him down the chimney and, to her surprise, sees a big tree inside. The harebrained hen can?t make any sense of it, but young children will cackle with delight as they follow Minerva around on her Christmas Eve adventure with the jolly fat fellow. She even gets a pr ...more
Published September 13th 2007 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Minerva Louise on Christmas Eve, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minerva Louise on Christmas Eve

Kathryn
Dec 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
I'm giving this four stars because I think it would have amused me a great deal when I was little. Minerva Louise has such a unique, funny perspective on Christmas--thinking Christmas twinkle lights are fireflies and that Santa is a farmer with a red hat who lost the wheels off his truck. I think kids will enjoy feeling a bit wiser than dear Minerva Louise! ;-)
Luisa Knight
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another funny case of Minerva Louise mixing things up!

Ages: 4 - 8

Cleanliness: this story has Santa Claus.

**Like my reviews? I also have hundreds of detailed reports that I offer too. These reports give a complete break-down of everything in the book, so you'll know just how clean it is or isn't. I also have Clean Guides (downloadable PDFs) which enable you to clean up your book before reading it!

Visit my website!
Becky
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First sentence: Minerva Louise loved the way the snow sparkled on the house with the red curtains.

Premise/plot: Minerva Louise returns to the house with red curtains. She's curious about the sparkly tree topped with a hen and the goats on the roof. Why is the farmer wearing a red hat? So many questions this hen has. She's back and as silly as ever.

My thoughts: It's Christmas and Minerva Louise is confused about all the changes inside and out! I really am fond of this chicken! My favorite is her
Meredith
Dec 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Minerva Louise, the chronically befuddled chicken, is admiring the multicolored fireflies on an evergreen tree when she notices a farmer in a red suit up on the rooftop along with eight goats and tractor missing its wheels. And when he falls down the chimney, she follows him into the house where more amusing confusion ensues.

This book was the big hit of this year's Pajama Story Time. The kids enjoyed shouting out the "right answer" whenever Minerva Louise drew the wrong conclusion about what wa
Julie
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: holiday-books
Gosh Minerva, you're so cute.
Rebecca
Dec 10, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: preschool storytime
Christmas is confusing when you see the world as a chicken does.
Meghan
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
My least favorite Minerva book.
Melanie
Dec 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute!
Lauren
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: skylar
Very cute book. My daughter really enjoyed it. Love how the chicken mistakes everything's Christmas for something else. It's a book you can laugh tougher while reading
Annburnett
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: skylar
Great little Christmas book about a chicken and her Christmas. Good book for my granddaughter.
Jill
Nov 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Minerva Louise is curious and adventurous. On Christmas Eve she discovers a Christmas tree outside the house with the red curtains. She makes her usual mistaken conjectures about what it is and why it is and then keeps exploring. She sees goats on the roof (reindeer) and a farmer in a red hat (Santa) and bravely attempts to rescue him when he falls down the well (chimney).

At the end, there is a gift for Minerva Louise from Santa and it's just right for her and her continued infatuation with the
Heidi-Marie
Grabbed this off the Christmas display before my 1st Christmas-themed Hop 'n' Harmonies (along with two other books). Very cute. I enjoy Minerva's silliness. But my small, young, new crowd didn't seem to get it. Either it was too old, or they were too shy to answer. I was still getting the kids who answered yes to every question I asked, even if they seemingly should have been obvious. (e.g. "Are those really fireflies strung on the tree?"

I think SJ would laugh at this one.

Yep. She did.
Westcoast_girl
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a super cute book.
It lost a star though, because the grammar was poor (I'm a stickler for grammar!).
The book would switch from the first person to the third person. This would have been okay if they put quotation marks around Minerva's speech--er, thoughts--but they did not.
So 3 big stars it is!

Merry Christmas, Minerva Louise.
Susan
Jan 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, teachers, parents, who want a fun short Christmas book for the preschool set
Shelves: picture-books-jp

I like Minerva Louise. I have many days where I am also a lot like Minerva Louise - but that is neither here nor there.

A fun, fresh take on a visit from Santa that will get kids yelling helpful advice to Minerva as she tries to figure it all out...
Salsabrarian
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A simple, humorous take on Christmas. Minerva isn't clued in on Christmas: the outdoor lights are fireflies, Santa's reindoor are goats with fancy horns, and the angel on the top of the tree is a white hen who's laid the most beautiful eggs. But she sure loves the present that Santa gives her!
Relyn
Dec 29, 2008 rated it liked it
The name Minerva Louise caught my attention immediately and I had to check this book out. The silliness of the story was a huge hit with my class. We all found the book to be absolutely delightful. A must read.
gina
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think if my chickens could talk, they'd think just like Minerva Louise! I love these books. This is the second one I've read. Now I'm going to have to go out and get all the Minerva's to read :) They certainly do capture the curiosity and determination of chickens lol.
Karen
Sep 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Charming and funny story of a chicken named Minerva Louise and her confused take on Christmas traditions. Preschoolers through Kindergarten or 1st may not understand the sense of humor, though. Recommend!
Rosa Cline
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, christmas, 2016
This was a very fun book to read to my adult special needs son. Between the text and the illustrations we giggled throughout the book. Minerva Louise doesn't understand what Christmas is about and all the silly things she finds.
Tina
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Henry and I read this on December 7th. Henry liked this book because Minerva Louise always thought things weren't what they really were. She thought Santa was a farmer and the ornaments on the Christmas tree were eggs. A super silly book!
Wendy
Apr 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Very cute. Minerva Louise's "voice" is funny and charming. Who knew the perspective of a chicken could make my kids giggle so much.
Goshen PL Childrens
Read for Storytime Decemeber 7th and 8th
Theme: Christmas Stories
Mckinley
Mar 07, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: bird, christmas, picture
Goose is confused about Santa's visit.
Not a fan of Minerva Louise.
babyhippoface
Nothing fabulous here, but PreK kids will get a kick out of Minerva Louise's mistaken ideas about Christmas.
Holly
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: carson-s
I just love reading Minerva Louise put loud!
Tiffany
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
My so always says, "that's one messed up chicken!"
A fun book!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Minerva Louise, a plump white chicken, is very confused about Christmas. Best part: humor. Ages 4-8.
Vayda Williams
Dec 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: c-holiday
I really enjoyed this particular book. I normally don't go for this kind of story, but Minerva Louise has won my heart and I am excited to read others in the series.

Wonderful witty humor.
Sylvester
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was ok
3* art
2* story

The humour went completely over Squirt's 3 yr. old head. Will have to revisit this one later.

Minerva Louise (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Minerva Louise