Start by marking “Egg Drop” as Want to Read:
Egg Drop

Egg Drop

The surreal story of the egg that wanted to fly.

The egg has always dreamed of being able to fly, but it doesn't really know much about making the dream a reality. The only method that seems guaranteed to work is to get to a very high place and then -jump! Now, that may not sound like a good thing for an egg to do, but then the egg is young and doesn't know very
Published April 7th 2003 by Red Fox Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Egg Drop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Egg Drop

Erin
Listen to your elders or die. Reaching for your dreams will kill you. My 2-year-old didn't understand it that way, but those were pretty much my take-aways.

This little egg - a modern humpty dumpty - just wanted to fly. But he was impatient and tried to achieve his dream before he should've, so he ended up next to some bacon on the farmer's plate instead.

I enjoyed the illustration, and the story's concept is interesting, but if my daughter hadn't picked this out at the lib
Danielle
Dec 20, 2013 rated it did not like it
Possibly the most horrifying children's book I have ever read. An egg wanted to fly so it jumped off a tower and splatted. But don't worry, someone ate it.
Treasa
"This is the story of an egg that wanted to fly." This egg, who never gets a name (which is probably a good thing), thinks and plans, trying to figure out how he can fly. One day he finds a tall tower, so, in an attempt to fly, he climbs to the top and jumps off.

The illustrations that accompany this somewhat strange story are really beautiful, most of the time. I especially love the illustration of the egg standing on the edge of the tower, looking down. It's a gorgeous two-page spread.
Tasha
Jun 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Grey returns with another fantastical tale about an inanimate object. This time it is an egg. An egg who would not wait. An egg who would not listen. The Egg wanted to fly – like a bird, like a helicopter, like a round brown blimp. But it did not understand aerodynamics, so it headed up a tower to soar. At first the egg thought it was flying. But it was falling instead. Don’t despair, it did not go to waste.

Grey is wonderfully quirky in all of her picture books. Mixing in Bernoulli’s
Issy Williams
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour
Mini Grey's Egg Drop is a hilarious children's book written for children in KS1. It has some very dry humour in it and a rather cynical ending, but that is why I think it is an important read as children need to know that not all endings are good and happy. Good links to science when learning about how gravity works.

Its no yolk, it's a shell of a book. Truly eggsellent. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys witty banter. Mini Grey really cracks the jokes in this book.
Jenn
Jul 08, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-to-my-kids
An egg wants to learn how to fly. Its hen-elders advise it to wait. It doesn't. It climbs to the top of a tower. It jumps off, happily anticipating flight. It splats on the ground and dies. But don't worry--someone makes an omelette out of it in the end, so nothing is wasted. Yay!

Here's what I think. If an egg can learn how to climb a tower, there's no reason it shouldn't be encouraged to learn how to fly and be assisted by its hen-elders to achieve that dream. It is obviously a gift
Louise
Oct 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A humorous story about an egg that wanted to fly. Some rich language is used, such as; ‘aerodynamics’. It also addresses the fact that chicks come from eggs but also they can be cooked therefore a good talking point with children.
Christiane
Jul 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books, humor
Okay, this was in my review bag this month and the more I read it the more I actually liked it!

Review for children's meeting:

"A mother hen tells her chicks about the egg that wanted to fly. The egg was young. It didn't know much. We tried to tell it, but of course it didn't listen. The egg loves looking up at the birds (it has eyes). The egg climbs (it has legs) to the top of a very tall tower and jumps. 'Wheee!' it cries. 'I am flying.' But it is not flying. It is fallin
Danny
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An egg doesn't listen to the advice of his mother, who advises waiting, and decides to follow his dream of flying. He jumps from a tower, briefly believing he has achieved his dream, but we are told he is not flying--he is falling. After his broken body is retrieved they try to help him, but again our own hopes are dashed when the omniscient narrator tells us that "shells don't heal." While his mother imagines the life that was lost, we see that the egg "was not wasted" and ended up on a plate n ...more
Amy
Nov 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
This story had a bit of black humor, but we enjoyed it. Mostly. Ok, I enjoyed the black humor--I don't think my niece and nephew found it to be quite as funny as I did--they came to identify with the egg too much, and weren't happy with his Humpty-Dumpty like fate. The kids, my nephew in particular, really liked the pictures in this one. They were creative and entertaining, and the story was just fun (in some people's opinion) silliness. Who knew a little egg with big dreams could win the hearts of lit ...more
Dolly
Sep 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: aviation, childrens, 2010
This is a fun, but very odd story about an egg who wants to fly. I thought it was very strange, but our girls liked it.
Lance Cotton
Aug 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A great must-read book that smashes traditional the-skys-the-limit themes and teaches our children to lower their ambitions and be followers. Like sheep but in this case chickens.
Mackenzie Hines
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mini-grey
Jessica Cox
Oct 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ben
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Both an enjoyable and educating read. From the off I was immediately drawn to Mini Grey's illustrations. Whilst revealing a hidden emphasis on the importance of listening patience, the liaison between the opening and final illustrations can be seen as similar, with slight alterations. This offers readers a chance to analyse the differences between the two images (e.g. unhatched vs hatched, odd egg out vs missing egg). I like how each double-page is filled with illustrations, this gives readers t ...more
Penguins Class
Mar 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
"It was kind of weird and the egg wanted to fly and that was weird, I didn't like it"
"It's just...weird. Why would an egg have legs? Why does it have glasses? Why does it even want to fly? And it has eyes and that is just weird. And eggs cannot think"
"if you liked it 5 stars you would say it was egg-cellent"
"I am sorry Mini Grey but I just don't like it"
"It lives in a weird village and there are weird numbers in the background. I just don't know why - all sorts"
Charlotte Little
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alana Spiers
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a fab picture book! It is great for KS1 as it can be used for discussions on the different events that happen throughout the book. For example, it’s important children are aware that not everything ends positively.
Christina Reid
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Some children will love this while others will be horrified by it! Full of Mini Grey's lovely illustrations and quirky humour, this woild be a fun read-together if your child is familiar with Humpty Dumpty -Year 2 upwards will probably love it, but younger children may be disturbed by the ending!
Syntha Green
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
While this could be a fun read for storytime, older children and adults might notice the holes in the plot such as: If an egg is so terribly broken that its shell can't be repaired it is highly unlikely that it can become a beautifully fried egg.
Mel Campbell
Jun 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

Excellent read for my science unit with our egg drop engineering project! I highly recommend it as a literacy piece to be included in a science module
Rosie
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classroom, favourites
Funny story about an impatient egg. Would be great as part of a science project to build protection for an egg drop or links to lessons on flight or gravity.
Bill Hice
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most disturbing children’s books I have ever read.
Jacqueline
Sep 22, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was rather disturbing.
Zoe Wood
Oct 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A story of an egg who wanted to fly, so it goes to the top of a high tower. The egg didn't wait until it was old enough or listen to others. With a surprise ending!!
Eilidh
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So good, but a little dark.
Mark Gomez
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A great read for children with an underlying message:learn to listen and be patient. The book presents an array of detailed and eye catching illustrations that would immediately appeal to readers, additionally the use of double page illustrations provides readers an opportunity to explore and inference ideas. The use of quick and short sentences helps create a suspenseful mood that will further engage young students. The book also provides cross curricular links with historical references to the ...more
Joy Manne
Aug 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This is an uncomfortable book. It is preachy, "The Egg was young. It didn't know much. We tried to tell it but of course it didn't listen." I would not give that message to a child. It teaches the child that adults know best, and lays the child open to obeying unsuitable adults. It shows an egg committing suicide - through ignorance, ok, but it is never-the-less suicide.
It then gives the terrifying message, "We tried to put the Egg back together again, but nothing rally worked and shells don't
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, children-s, picture
A mama hen tells the chicks about an egg that wanted to fly. She cautions them by warning that 'if only it had waited.' She describes his desire to fly, lack of knowledge, determination to climb a tower, and the aftermath of his failed flight. I found the book delightful -- right up until the last few pages. We see the egg after failed attempts to put it back together with chewing gum, band-aids, and sticky tape. And though it was not fixed, it was not wasted: the egg was served sunny side up wi ...more
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Lovers of twisted fairy tales and those with an otherwise chronically sick sense of humor will enjoy this newest twist on Humpty Dumpty. The story begins as an inspirational tale of an egg who wants to revolutionize the history of the world by flying before it's hatched. The egg goes to great lengths to accomplish his dream, only to discover it's not quite all it's cracked up to be. Grey's illustrations are brilliant and clever (be sure to note the newspaper text within the story).

This book isn

• The Purple Kangaroo
  • Fletcher and the Springtime Blossoms
  • A Book
  • Chicken Dance
  • Mermaid Queen: The Spectacular True Story Of Annette Kellerman, Who Swam Her Way To Fame, Fortune & Swimsuit History!
  • Jeremy Draws a Monster
  • Flight of the Dodo
  • The Turn-Around, Upside-Down Alphabet Book
  • Just How Long Can A Long String Be?!
  • Pete the Sheep-Sheep
  • Martha doesn't say sorry!
  • Yucky Worms
  • Kindergarten Diary
  • Tacky's Christmas
Mini Grey was given her name after being born in a Mini in a car park in Newport, Wales. She studied for an MA in Sequential Illustration at Brighton under the tutelage of John Vernon Lord. Mini also worked as a primary school teacher in Oxford, where she now lives. Her books includeEgg Drop, The Pea and the Princess (shortlisted for the CILIP Kate Greenaway Medal), Biscuit Bear(winner of the Nest ...more