Start by marking “Spot Goes to the Farm” as Want to Read:

(Spot the Dog)

Spot searches for new babies among the farm animals, each of which greets him with its own distinctive noise. Movable flaps conceal portions of the illustrations.

The bestselling puppy is better than ever. Spot's 25th birthday presents are bold, beautiful color covers that give him a great new look. Enjoy Spot in paperback with full-color covers and traditional Lift-the-Fla
Hardcover, 1st American ed., 24 pages
Published September 2nd 1987 by Putnam Juvenile (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Spot Goes to the Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spot Goes to the Farm

Shirley Revill
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, children, kids
My children and Grandchildren love this book and to be honest so do i.
The Spot books are not too long and children love finding spot by lifting up the flaps in their quest to find this loveable dog.
A firm favourite on our bookshelf over the years that has helped install a love of books in the younger members of our family.
What's not to love about Spot and his fun adventures when it includes little baby animals!! As always Spot books are super easy to follow and allow kids to interact with the book by opening up the little flaps on nearly every page.

This book is about Spot and his father going to the farm..His Dad wants to show Spot a certain baby animal and along the way they look at all different sorts - cow , horses, duck, cats, etc. What the book also does is go through the sounds and baby names for the animal
Jennifer B.
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute cute cute!
Cai
I love anything Spot related! The books are entertaining for kids as they are engaged by lifting the flaps. The white background makes it easier for younger kids to focus on the pictures and the story is simple making it perfect for the wee little readers.
Savio Sebastian
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018, kids
I don't like this book because my toddler loves this book and makes me read this over and over again. I don't see anything funny or intriguing about this book - but it does have good illustrations and flip-flaps. It also shows emotions quite well (Spot' dad's angry look).
Eva_Amaré
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: h
This is only our second Spot book, but
we're already 100% on board for all his future adventures. Interactive books are our favourite, so the flaps and animal sounds are right up our alley. Simple, easy to read text and great pics. 🐕 🐔 🚜🐷🐮
Ashley Jacobson
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eve-read, kai-read
We love Spot! These are fun, simple books that really engage kids. The kids love the flaps and finding what’s going on on each page. They also like that they can remember and retell the story themselves.
kim
May 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
meh. seems geared towards babies but the vocab is more complicated
Miss Sarah
Apr 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Spot is exploring the farm and trying to find the new piglets. Love the lift the flaps. simple baby and up
Mairead
Finally read this TO MYSELF since A refuses to let me read in to her past the first page despite it being her interests -- board book, animals, flaps.
Karin
Sep 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: allie-s
I have to say I was expecting far more baby animals. But Allie still loved tearing at the flaps and making faces as I made animal noises.
Melissa Kearney
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Author: Eric Hill
Illustrator: Eric Hill
Genre: lift-the-flap moveable book, fiction, picture book
Theme(s): domestic animals, farm animals, farms, animal sounds
Opening line/sentence:
I have some baby animals to show you, Spot.

Brief Book Summary:
Spot searches for baby animals with his father on a farm. When Spot finds the farm animals, each animal makes their specific animal sound for Spot to hear. Each animal that Spot has to find is located under a flap in the book and
Laney
Oct 11, 2016 added it
Shelves: laney-coull
Author: Eric Hill
Genre: Children Pop-up Book, Ficiton
Theme(s): Animals, Animal Noises, Dogs

Opening Line/Sentence: I have some baby animals to show you, Spot.

Brief Book Summary: This book is about Spot, a puppy, and his dad going to the farm. Spot visits all of the animals and listens to the animal noises they make. Spot tries to make friends with the animals.

Professional/Recommendation #1:
C. Henebry (Parent Council Volume 6)
Spot's father wants to show him baby a
Ian McHugh
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spot is off again being a knob. This time he's all over a farm frightening animals, running under tractors, and upsetting a goose. This time he's looking for baby animals all over the farm. Flo liked the little animals and the way they hide behind the various flaps. Most of them make animal noises and Flo loved that too. There was even a crazy rabbit who pretended to be a duck - crafty blighter!
Jennifer Rampton
Title: Spot Goes to the Farm
Bibliographic Reference: Hill, E (2003). Spot Goes to the Farm. London: Penguin Books Ltd.
Summary: This is a board book with lift the flap pages. The book is about Spot the dog that to the farm and meets all the farm animals and makes discoveries.
Personal Reaction: I think this is a good book for the children to learn about what animals live on the farm and the different sounds you will hear while visiting a farm. This would be a good book to use during a farm or an
Jack Kirby and the X-man
This book isn't spectacular, essentially just more of the same after Where's Spot?... The premise of this book is that Spot is looking for baby animals. I won't give too much away, but he doesn't find as many as I thought he would.

While not being spectacular the "lift-the-flap" books are a hit at the moment with X-man - he just loves having the control on the flap - open, closed, open, closed, open, closed, ad infinitum...
Simon
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was a huge favourite of mine. I wanted to get a dog after reading it. I used to have ALL of these books and I read them a lot because I liked the pictures. When it became an animated thing, I lved it so much! I had the VHSs and watched them everyday. I don't know when I stopped or when I grew up from it, but this series has completely escaped my memory until just recently when I read the book: "1001 Children's Books you must read before you grow up".

I am glad to have had this in my li
Rosa Cline
Dec 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This is a basic young reader book. Spot the puppy and his Dad goes to the farm. His dad wants to show Spot baby animals so they go in search of some. This book introduces various farm animals and their 'habitat' (example horse in a barn, duck in a lake, etc) It is a lift the flap book for the children to be able to interact with you as you read to them. or to just look at for themselves and have fun with the illustrations.
Theodora
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful story about a little pup name Spot who goes
to a farm and sees all the different animals. Spot was a happy pup.
He went on his adventure with his dad Sam.

Eric Hill
Born in London and popular author and illustrator.
He was praised for his contribution
to children literacy. He wrote the book "Spot the Dog."
Siobhan
Feb 11, 2016 rated it liked it
A wonderful read from my childhood, one I’d certainly suggest for other youngsters. Whilst it is not my all-time favourite childhood read I can still recall all the details of this one meaning it certainly left a lasting impression upon my young mind.

And isn’t that what we want with children’s books, for them to leave a positive lasting impression?
Tiff
Jan 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Spot visits a farm with his dad. Surprises hide behind flaps on each page. Spot looks for each animal's babies but seems to keep not finding them. Up until he spots some piglets and kittens! Brightly colored drawings make this a delightful read. Great for toddlers and babies.
Lisa
Apr 14, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Spot isn't my favorite, but my toddler daughter loves all of the Spot books and reads them daily. She enjoys lifting the flaps during Spot's search for baby animals and making all of the animal noises.
Rubi
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
In this story, Spot helps children learn animal sounds and the real names of animal babies: cow = moo/calf, horse = foal, duck = quack/duckling, cat = meow/kittens, etc.
It told it in a cute way, with a visit to a farm
I found myself enjoying this little story, even at my age of 23 :)
Ks
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing book. I recommend it to everyone in all walks of life.
May 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This was the second tale from Spot I read and I loved it is as much as the first.
Angela Randall
Mr-two-year-old thought this was even more exciting than the first book in the series.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review

Hill, Eric
early reader about the bbc character spot
ABC
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers
Shelves: younger-kids
Nice lift-the-flap book about animals and their babies.
Erin Hendrian
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: board-books
One of Beatrice's favorite books. :)
Jake Porter
Jan 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My first book. Fuck yes.

• Hairy Maclary's Rumpus at the Vet
  • Baby Animals
  • Spots, Feathers, and Curly Tails
  • Touch & Feel: FARM
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
  • Blue Train, Green Train (Thomas & Friends)
  • Elmer and the Lost Teddy
  • That's Not My Tractor
  • Old Mother Hubbard
  • Excuse Me!: A Little Book of Manners
  • Disney's Pooh How To Catch a Heffalump (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • Who Hops?
  • On the Farm
  • The Little Rabbit Who Liked to Say Moo
  • Ladybug Girl at the Beach
  • Tip Tip Dig Dig
  • My Penguin Osbert
  • The Silver Slippers
Eric Gordon Hill OBE was a popular author and illustrator of children's picture books, best known for his character Spot the Dog. His works have been widely praised for their contributions to child literacy. He was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2008 New Year Honours.

Spot the Dog (1 - 10 of 158 books)
  • Where's Spot?
  • Spot Goes to School
  • Spot Goes On Holiday
  • Spot Visits His Grandparents
  • Spot Loves His Daddy
  • Spot's Birthday Party
  • Good Night, Spot
  • Spot Goes to the Beach (color)
  • Spot Loves His Mum
  • Spot Goes to the Park (color)