Start by marking “Assassin (Makedde Vanderwall, #6)” as Want to Read:
Assassin (Makedde Vanderwall, #6)

Assassin (Makedde Vanderwall #6)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  442 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
Former model turned forensic psychologist and PI Mak Vanderwall is missing, presumed dead in Paris. By hiring a hit man to kill her, the powerful and corrupt Cavanagh family aimed to silence her for good. But after narrowly escaping death, Mak has taken over her would-be killer's world. She is very much alive. And transformed ...

Back in Sydney Mak's former flame, criminal
Published September 1st 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers Australia

To ask other readers questions about Assassin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Assassin

Phrynne
Sep 16, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a good, exciting story in which Makkede becomes decidedly more proactive. In fact she is fighting for her life and she fights hard and dirty. I had my usual issues with Tara Moss's writing style. She gives far too much extraneous detail and does it in the third person rather than letting the reader discover what matters through the characters. Sadly it made me want to skim whole paragraphs. The ending of the book, which appears also to be the ending of the series, was sweet but totally i ...more
Lynxie
Makedde Vanderwall's series has come to a close.

A pretty spectacular close too.

Mak is harder, grittier and downright ballsy in this book, she's taking a stand against the big baddies and she's doing it her way.

Considering it has been five years since I read the last Mak book(Siren), I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it all came flooding back to me. Tara weaves little tidbits of information into the story but it doesn't feel like you're being drip fed it. It reads well.

I liked how we got
Brenda
Even though it’s a long time since the previous book in the Makedde Vanderwall series, it was easy to pick up. And this one would have to be the best of the lot!

Mak, former model, and now PI, is missing, presumed dead. She stirred up a whole HEAP of trouble with the Cavanagh’s in the previous book, Siren, and now they want her dead! The hit man the powerful head of the Cavanagh family, Jack, hired to kill Mak in Paris, has notified them the job is done, but hasn’t collected his final payment….

B
MarciaB - Book Muster Down Under
How far would you go for revenge? For Survival?

Former model turned forensic psychologist and PI Mak Vanderwall is missing, presumed dead in Paris. By hiring a hit man to kill her, the powerful and corrupt Cavanagh family aimed to silence her for good. But after narrowly escaping death, Mak has taken over her would-be killer’s world.
She is very much alive. And transformed …

Back in Sydney Mak’s former flame, criminal profiler Andy Flynn, is on the trail of a vicious rapist and murderer with possib
Helensvale Library
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sam
Tara Moss takes her research seriously for her novels and an authenticity shines through in her writing. The Makedde Vanderwall series (Fetish, Split, Covert, Hit & Siren) are action packed, unpredictable, emotional, romantic and include a lot of real life detail. Assassin is the final instalment and rewards fans of the series with a truly surprising and violent fatal ending.

It has been so long since the previous book but thanks to great writing I found it easy to pick up with the story. Ma
Nikki
Sep 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is possibly my favourite from the Mak Vanderwall series. I love her as a vigilante and I love her little surprise. The ending has me thinking this is probably the last one in the series though which is upsetting. Tara Moss is a fantastic writer and I hope this isn't the last we see of Mak and Andy
Tyson Adams
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Trying to read with a newborn in your arms is tricky. You try to get them to sleep and then realise you haven't been reading all of that time. You try to feed them and realise that Zaphoid was right, a third arm does come in handy. This all adds up to making it hard to enjoy a good book.

The fact that I did enjoy this book shows just how good it was, because my reading has been very interrupted. Mak is back in what appears to be the finale in the Vanderwall series. Since the last book, Mak has be
Jacqueline King
Wow.

Tara Moss is a truly great writer. The best Makadde Vanderwall book out of them all. It's been a wild ride with Mak, and I've loved watching her grow and evolve. Most people would have probably crawled into the fetal position and never moved again after all she's been through, but Mak kept coming back with a vengeance again and again. The ending of Siren left my mind exploding and even though I had a fair idea of what was to come in Assassin, it still blew me away by how fantastic it was. A
Funkybamboozle
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I finished this novel overwhelmed..... Noooooo!!!!!! I want more. Don't end it there!

As usual, Moss lures me in and takes me on an exhilarating ride of emotions: one moment I'm holding my breathe, moments later rage builds and then.....tears.

Mak is pure Amazonian. Beauty and brains.....and now wealth. A lethal combination......

K.L. Joy
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Yet again Tara moss brings the character of Mak Vanderwall to life in this stunning final piece of the six book puzzle.

Thank you for your worlds, your world and your passion.
Eric
Oct 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Well paced, undemanding and enjoyable. A small part here and there bordered on being a database dump of the author's research; I prefer the show not tell approach.
Cecilia
Sep 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a brilliant way to end our adventures with Mak! Darker and more dangerous than ever, this will leave your heart pumping and certain that this was the only way it could all end.....
Nada
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As Tara Moss herself states, the protagonist, Mak, is a flawed character and yet, for me, endearing and authentic. Driven to breaking point, what would anyone do?! I love a strong character and Mak's survival skills are impressive.
Ross Hamilton
Oct 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
For me at least, one of the really interesting things about reading an extended series is in getting to see a character grow, develop and change in response to the obstacles placed before them. Tara Moss’s series about Makedde Vanderwall has been a prime example. It opened in Fetish with Vanderwall, a working model, arriving in Australia to meet up with a modelling friend, only to be dragged into a horrific encounter with a serial killer. Over the course of five books (Fetish, Split, Covert, Hit ...more
Tracey
Nov 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I think I read one of the early stories in this series and decided to read another.
I found the first quarter of this book, to be honest, a real struggle, Tara Moss knows her stuff but I did not need it all crammed my down my throat. I found myself wading through a great deal of detail and character internal feelings which just made things drag.
The story from the second half picks up and begins to become a page turner but again I just felt like it was lacking something. I found the character of
Dorothy
Jan 15, 2014 rated it did not like it
I got less than half way through this book before I started skimming.

Moss obviously did very thorough character development and research, but (like Tom Clancy) she needs to learn that the reader doesn't care - we want to know ONLY the bits that are relevant to the story. She slips constantly into the pluperfect to share more background research, or document a character's backstory. Also, she writes these asides as bald facts, in her voice, instead of letting the character share their story.

The
Xanthi
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I listened to this on audiobook and I need to say something about the narration. The narrator was obviously Canadian. Although she didn't quite say 'aboot' for 'about', there was a slight hint of the 'ou' sound in words that was a dead give away. That didn't bother me but what did was her pronunciation of Australian cities such as Canberra and Melbourne. They were both mispronounced over and over again, and worst of all, the Australian characters were mispronouncing these names. Some of the stor ...more
NancyHelen
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Although this was a later book in the series, I thought it was fabulous. I didn't feel I had lost anything by not having read the earlier books as the background was provided in a way which wasn't too obvious but which was enough that I felt satisfied. The heroine, Makedde, was the kind of kick-ass heroine I really like. In this book she's running for her life with a price on her head because she is far too close to exposing the criminal activities of one of Australia's wealthiest families. I re ...more
Natasha
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well the series is over......what a way to go out. Guns blazing, pistol fighting, suicide, wow absolutely loved this series.

Makedde was such a strong woman through out these books. The things she went through, the things she saw, something no woman...no man for that matter should have to deal with but she went through it all and this book was more of Mak doing it all alone.

It's sad to think that she had to go through all that and had to in the end become an assassin herself just so she could ha
Hannah
Nov 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is the final book of Makaydees life and quite frankly I was happy because I was over this series, I found it to long and draining however this book was a nice change-up It was quite fast paced through out the book and did leave you guessing as to how it would end. Makaydee has finally come full circle and it was interesting how much her character has changed throughout the complete series, she is so strong and calm throughout the book and it's good portraying a strong and dominate female ro ...more
Quiana
This was a great ending to the Mak Vanderwall series. Siren (book 5) left me distraught and forlorn and I'm so glad that Mak was able to come back, reclaim some of her losses from Siren, and have a happy ending. I tend to really dislike stories were horrible things happen to the protagonist, but after seeing the title of this book, I decided to forge on because I wanted to really know what would happen. Mak's personality changed so much from book 1 to 6 and the evolution was very satisfying as a ...more
Mary
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Unfortunately I joined this series at the end nevertheless I didn't have any difficulty understanding what was going on. Mak has stood up against a very wealthy and influential family in Sydney, Australia, in a fight for justice. In retaliation, her lover had been murdered, she has been imprisoned and raped, and now there is a contract out on her. Somehow she needs to get justice and get her life back.

Given her background as a PI, I was surprised by some of the basic errors Mak made, which just
Simone Sinna
Oct 02, 2013 rated it liked it
I won this (and nine other books) courtesy of Sister’s in Crime at Brisbane writer’s festival. I thought I had already read it (have read the earlier ones) but hadn’t. Like the others, starting with Fetish I think about the Stiletto murders this has Makedde and Andy in it and a stiletto murderer wanna be. It traverses Spain and Australia, with parallel tales of Mak being pursued by assassins (and turning into one herself) while Andy is back home sorting out the latest Sydney serial killer. I fou ...more
Priii
Sep 27, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars ☆ I haven't read the other books in the series but nevertheless found this book very enjoyable! Moss is a talented writer, and knows how to build up a plotline, which was intriguing. However, I did feel that I was viewing the story from the outside, and couldn't really empathise and genuinely understand the characters' feelings like I do for other books. I appreciate Moss' writing style, but generally don't feel like it's for me :/ However, it was a fun read! ✌
Lyn Richards
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG what a great finale to the Makedde Vanderwall stories. As usual Moss has written this story in a way that gets into your head.....even when you arent reading the book or listening to the audio version in my case you wonder just where Makedde will find herself next.

A great storyline.....and i was absolutely gripped by the storyline. I was almost a little disappointed when the story ended as i knew this was the last in the Vanderwall series.

Thanks for a great read!
Balthazar Lawson
Sep 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the last in the Makedde Vanderwall series and it's a bit of a murderous and violent conclusion. It wraps up a lot of things but it's clear that to fully appreciate this story you really do need to have read at least the previous two stories in the series, if not all of them. I come away feeling that we should not under estimate women on the level of violence that are able to perpetrate, not that I ever did. It was an enjoyable read, even if certain levels of detail were missing.
P.J. Parker
Mar 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tara Moss's final book in the Mak Vanderwall series was wonderful. Well written and paced and just a great read. Tara is one of those authors that takes words with confidence and twists them into a tale that can be painful and enjoyable at the same time. I doubt there could be another Mak, but then with Tara Moss's imagination I am certain there is another powerful female character not far over the horizon...
Don
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-2013_goal-33
Assassin was typical for this Makedde Vanderwall, book number 6 in the series. Maybe I was distracted at times but Assassin did not seem to hold my interest to the extent other books in this series did.

Was it a sequel to 'Fetish'? There were enough references to Fetish to make me think it was and maybe that was the problem with the story line.
Kara S
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
This was the first book of Moss's I have read, planning to read her work of non fiction. I've given it two stars rather than one as there was a plot with no major holes in as far as I read. The writing however was clunky, the story unremarkable, the scenes where emotional intensity should peak were timid. I read about 60% before returning to the library, and I won't be returning to her work.
Stephen Lawton
Jan 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Even though Moss continues to repeat herself far too much, I found the evolution of the relationships portrayed engaging. Increasingly gruesome towards the end, the conversion of Vanderwall from vigilante to doting mother seemed too easy as did her relationship with the barely contained Flynn. Nonetheless I'm kind of sad that the series ended as it was a fun page turner.
Around the Year i...: Assassin, by Tara Moss 1 13 Feb 27, 2016 11:43PM
  • Black Wattle Creek (Charlie Berlin, #2)
  • Burning Lies (Border Watch #3)
  • Prime Cut
  • Secrets in Time
  • Violent Exposure (Detective Ella Marconi #4)
  • A Stranger in My Street
  • Tiger Paw
  • The Girl in Steel-Capped Boots
  • Man Drought
  • One Sunday
  • As Darkness Falls (Dungirri, #1)
  • Darkness on the Edge of Town
  • Beyond Fear
  • Three (Codename: Chandler #3)
  • Fishing for Tigers
  • Heart of Gold
  • The Rouseabout
  • Malicious Intent (Dr. Anya Crichton, #1)
207498
Tara Moss is an author, journalist, documentary maker and presenter and human rights advocate. Since 1999 she has written 11 bestselling books, published in 19 countries and 13 languages, including the acclaimed Mak Vanderwall crime fiction series and the Pandora English series. Her first non-fiction book, the critically acclaimed The Fictional Woman, was published in 2014 and became a number one ...more
More about Tara Moss...

Makedde Vanderwall (6 books)
  • Fetish (Makedde Vanderwall, #1)
  • Split (Makedde Vanderwall, #2)
  • Covet (Makedde Vanderwall, #3)
  • Hit (Makedde Vanderwall, #4)
  • Siren (Makedde Vanderwall, #5)
“The reflex of fear was soon replaced with another, more useful emotion.
Rage.”