Start by marking “El Corsario Negro” as Want to Read:
El Corsario Negro

El Corsario Negro

(I corsari delle Antille #1)

Esta historia está ambientada en el siglo xvii. El ilustre italiano Emilio de Ventigimilia, señor de Roccabruna y Valpenta, que se hace llamar Corsario Negro, es el protagonista de esta novela que da comienzo a una serie de historias igual de entretenidas. Las muertes de los dos hermanos de Emilio, conocidos como corsario Verde y Corsario Rojo, a manos de su enemigo Wan Gu ...more
Published 1982 by Dintel (first published 1898)

To ask other readers questions about El Corsario Negro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about El Corsario Negro

Start your review of El Corsario Negro
Sarah (Presto agitato)
In the process of working on my Italian language skills, I found this book by Emilio Salgari. Salgari was one of the best-selling Italian writers of all time. While almost unheard of in English-speaking countries, his style of adventure writing inspired numerous films, and some consider him the “Grandfather of the Spaghetti Western.”

salgari_zps2b146658
Emilio Salgari

Il corsaro nero (“The Black Corsair”) is an adventure novel published in 1898. It is probably aimed at the vocabulary and interests of an eleven ye
Suzannah
Back in the day when I was a brain-dead law student combing the internet for free vintage swashbuckler ebooks, one author caught my attention: Emilio Salgari, author of the classic The Tiger of Mompracem. Sadly, although Salgari seemed to be wildly popular in the Italian-speaking world, it didn't seem like there were any English translations of his book available. A a result, more recently, when I was contacted by a representative at ROH Press and offered a free review copy of an English transla ...more
Mark
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a native English speaker but have studied Italian off and on since college. Since 2006 I've been doing extensive research into the history of the Italian side of my family and among my discoveries was Emilio Salgari. I decided to read one of his books in Italian (I read on my Kindle with an Italian-English dictionary on my iPhone) and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Salgari's writing seems on a level with the Hardy Boys adventures that I read as a kid but, I believe, is far superior in its abili ...more
André Carreira
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read it when I was about ten years old. Though I don't remember much about the story, I recall the experience of playing Sid Meier's Pirates while reading this as being something amazing and otherworldly. ...more
Amy Young
Nov 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was for uni BUT I would’ve read this for fun - what an action packed ride, also would low-key jump on the Corsair if given the chance...his brooding & man tears = sexy as hell
Raphael Lysander
One of the naive, unreasonable romantic novels that see gentlemen qualities even among pirates. And the adventure prospect of the novel is no way to be compared with Stevenson's novels, for example, what so ever ...more
Jess castellanos lobaton
I wish I could have read this book in Italian but well, one day maybe :)

I gave it 3 stars because of many reasons, there were things I liked and others that didn't. For example, the beggining was very slow for me... many times I was so not inspired to continue reading or to finish it at all. The ending was dramatic but incomplete so, nope, wasn't good for me....
In the other hand, I liked the character of Carmaux, I think he "spices" the story the whole time, without him, the novel would habe bee
Macarius
Mar 18, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The Black Corsair

Blech. It’s just kinda blech. It starts out as a very exciting, though simple and straightforward adventure tale, which takes a dive after a while.

So it begins with the Black Corsair learning of his third brother’s death at the hands of the guv’nor and he sets out on a quest to bring his bro’s body back for a proper sea burial. It’s a good story, enjoyable, exciting, plenty of sea and land time to satisfy anyone looking for adventure. Then, after that, it becomes an overly long
Mina
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you ever wondered what people used to do before action movies became a popular form of entertainment, here’s your answer.

Before even the Pirates of the Caribbean Disneyland ride was no more than a cheeky thought, Salgari had created a name for himself nationally and was knighted for his work by the then queen of Italy. Today he is among the most widely-translated Italian authors and considered a pioneer of science fiction and the “grandfather” of the Spaghetti Western.

Of all his work, the Bl
Dora Viazzo
Jul 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read it if: you like adventure. You love nature. You enjoy unexpected events and a cunning story.

Don't read it if: you prefer drama or non fiction. This book is almost drama-free :-)

Why 5 stars: I wanted it to never finish. I was dreaming eye wide open when reading about their adventures in Venezuela and carribeans. I loved the unpredictability of the story and the digression it does to explain how and when the colony of pirates was born, making them human and real. The pirates have a strong fri
Denis
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I regret that I missed this book as a child. That would be very interesting at that time. And now the book was quite naive. If you want some serious sea adventures, then you need the unrivaled Aubrey & Maturin series from Patrick O'Brian. ...more
Carlos
Oct 14, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Defined my childhood readings......so many memories come to mind ......I am glad I read those books..... wouldn't have been the same without them ... ...more
Karine Ribeiro
Jan 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
awessome
Electa
May 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The plot is very intriguing and different.
Ingle
May 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dandy book and can't wait to read the next one. ...more
Owen
May 30, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Will look for more of Emilio Salgari books.
Loni
Jun 12, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome written.
Jesus Flores
Oct 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pirates
Corsario Negro

A good and fun pirate adventure book, a first in a series. The nobleman turned to pirate after some betrayal, that wants to have vengeance, and some romantic interest in there with a tragedy that is very visible from the start. The book really serves great to show us both the black corsair and his nemesis van Guld, and set the stage for bigger adventures later.

It was a fun read.

4stars
Irina
Dec 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book, with short chapters and complex characters. Very rare you see a pirate that once was a gentleman from a good family and actually feels pity for people. The end was strange and, for the main character, painful, because it is hard to give away your love and look how it goes away. But in rest...5 stars.
Sandokas
Apr 06, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the book that moved me from Jules Verne to Emilio Salgari, sending me down the rabbit hole. I really enjoyed it at the time, and I might not like as much of books, as I like now, if it was not for it.
Djordje
My rating: ★★✫ 2½ stars
Summary: Good setting cause of pirates but the plot is too shallow. Instead on focusing on pirate life the novel focuses on love and revenge. Writing style is too plain.
Melanie
Mar 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Classic Book. Must read. set in Venezuela too. Very interesting, even though I found the language a bit tough to read (read it in Italian, which is my third language...)
XO
May 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So many good memories!
Lazaro Perez
May 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, fast paced action, and relatable characters. Emilio Salgari's "the Black Corsair" is a masterpiece of the action/adventure genre ...more
Tonkec666
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book that brang me back into reading.Love the characters and their personalities.Don't like the ending ,but the story rules. ...more
Bob Kenobi
Entertaining book of pirates, but predictable. Although the setting of the book in the jungle is really interesting, the fight scenes and the plot looks old and easy. An Italian classic though.
Anabel
Jul 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I should've had read this when a was a teen because now I found it absolutely boring ...more
Vitaly El Dani
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
amusing, exciting, captivating
Gregory Johnson
A gift from my Spanish uncle, the one who put me up on Ediciones Vertice Marvel books. We Tampa folks do love our pirates lol...Miss you tio!
Alexandre
Apr 12, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
it doesnt make any sense at the end.

• L'isola del tesoro
  • Всадник без головы
  • La lunga vita di Marianna Ucrìa
  • I Promessi Sposi (1827)
  • المرأة التي تجلب المطر : مذكرات من هوكايدو اليابان
  • الندبة
  • Dick Sands the Boy Captain (The Extraordinary Voyages, #17)
  • The Betrothed
  • Cup of Gold: A Life of Sir Henry Morgan, Buccaneer, with Occasional Reference to History
  • Storia di una capinera
  • The Trappers Of Arkansas: Or The Loyal Heart (1864)
  • Die Regulatoren in Arkansas
  • Crossbones
  • Candido - L'ingenuo
  • Michael Strogoff (Extraordinary Voyages, #14)
  • Cadrò, sognando di volare
  • Scaramouche (Scaramouche, #1)
See top shelves…
See also:
Arabic: أميليو سالغاري

Father of Italian Popular Culture, Grandfather of the Spaghetti Western, Father of Heroes are but three of the titles bestowed upon Italian adventure writer Emilio Salgari. He wrote more than two hundred short stories and novels, many of which are considered classics. Setting his tales in exotic locations, with heroes from a wide variety of cultures, Mr. Salgari brou

I corsari delle Antille (5 books)
  • La regina dei Caraibi
  • Jolanda, la figlia del Corsaro Nero
  • Il figlio del Corsaro Rosso
  • Gli Ultimi Filibustieri

Related Articles

“Era vestito completamente di nero e con una eleganza che non era abituale fra i filibustieri del grande Golfo del Messico, uomini che si accontentavano di un paio di calzoni e d'una camicia, e che curavano più le loro armi che gli indumenti.
[...]
Anche l'aspetto di quell'uomo aveva, come il vestito, qualcosa di funebre, con quel volto pallido, quasi marmoreo, che spiccava stranamente fra le nere trine del colletto e le larghe tese del cappello, adorno d'una barba corta, nera, tagliata alla nazzarena un po' arricciata.
Aveva però i lineamenti bellissimi: un naso regolare, due labbra piccole e rosse come il corallo, una fronte ampia solcata da una leggera ruga che dava a quel volto un non so che di malinconico, due occhi poi neri come carbonchi, d'un taglio perfetto, dalle ciglia lunghe, vivide e animate da un lampo tale che in certi momenti doveva sgomentare anche i più intrepidi filibustieri di tutto il golfo.
La sua statura alta, slanciata, il suo portamento elegante, le sue mani aristocratiche, lo facevano conoscere, anche a prima vista, per un uomo d'alta condizione sociale e soprattutto per un uomo abituato al comando.”
2 likes
“Un uomo era sceso allora dal ponte di comando e si dirigeva verso di loro, con una mano appoggiata al calcio d'una pistola che pendevagli dalla cintola.
Era vestito completamente di nero e con una eleganza che non era abituale fra i filibustieri del grande Golfo del Messico, [...].
Anche l'aspetto di quell'uomo aveva, come il vestito, qualche cosa di funebre, con quel volto pallido, quasi marmoreo, che spiccava stranamente fra le nere trine del colletto e le larghe tese del cappello, adorno d'una barba corta, nera, tagliata alla nazzarena e un po' arricciata.
La sua statura alta, slanciata, il suo portamento elegante, le sue mani aristocratiche, lo faceva conoscere, anche a prima vista, per un uomo d'alta condizione sociale e soprattutto per un uomo abituato al comando.”
1 likes