Start by marking “Rules of Attraction” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176

Christina Dodd

(Governess Brides #4)

The Rules of Enticement:

A woman should never surrender to a man without knowing his intentions. A man should never seduce a woman for the purposes of revenge.

Rules of Society

After nine years, Hannah Setterington has decided tosell the Distinguished Academy of Governesses and explore the secrets of her past. To that end she has agreed to be a companion to the

Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published May 1998 by Recorded Books

To ask other readers questions about Rules of Attraction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rules of Attraction

Start your review of Rules of Attraction
Chitra *CJ*
"Rules of Attraction" is the story of Douglad and Hannah.
Hannah Setterington has decided to sell the Distinguished Academy of Governesses after nine years, and goes off to be a companion to the elderly aunt of Lord Raeburn- until she comes face to face with him, and discovers him to be a face from the past..
Douglad has planned Hannah's return for 9 years, and now that she is finally back in his land, he plans to keep her by hook or crook..
Filled with four eccentric aunts, a loyal butler, numerou
fleurette
For some reason I didn't like this story. It was too long, too boring and plot-less.

For the most part of the book I was wondering if the hero and the heroine at least like each other. And I couldn't stop thinking that the answer is: no, not at all. But it wasn't such a big deal because I didn't like them either. Dougald totally annoyed me being so bossy and cocksure and I found Hannah so plain that I didn't care about her.

In my opinion the problem is that the author doesn't give us any insight
Zoe
Aug 28, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am giving this book 3 generous stars, because Christina Dodd succeeded in creating 2 very intriguing characters. I would have given 2 stars for the storyline, but for the writing and characterization, I am willing to go up.

So here goes, (view spoiler)
Thenia
The story of Hannah and Dougald, a estranged married couple that is reunited after nine years apart.

(view spoiler)
Josephina
Of the Governess Brides books thus far in the series, this had the most intriguing synopsis to me. However, it was incredibly disappointing.

The hero really brings down the book for me. Dark and brooding heroes are one thing. He was just depressing to me. Too cruel to be enjoyable in any way. Overly manipulative and cold. Downright abusive, really. He manipulated her into marrying him, he was cruel and dismissive of her during their relationship, he connives to bring her back to him, he steals h
Donna
May 03, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Setterington notices men following her. She believes they are agents of her husband she ran away from 9 years ago. Hannah sells her business, a school for governesses, and takes a job as a ladies companion. Since the job is in the wilds of Lancashire, she believes she will be safe. However, when she arrives she learns her employer is her husband and he is not about to let her disappear again. Since he feels she needs to pay for her abandonment as the abandonment was the start of a rumor t ...more
Rhoda Fort
Jul 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and couldn't put it down, not at all unusual for a Christina Dodd novel. The hero was such a jerk at the beginning of the book, I wondered if even Ms. Dodd's superior storytelling skills were going to be able to redeem the manipulative, overbearing, angry Dougald, Lord Raeburn, to my satisfaction. Wise, strong-willed Hannah Setterington was the perfect woman to bring this arrogant lord to task.

The book started off on a dark, edgy note with Hannah selling her Distinguished Acad
Amanda
Mar 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not a huge fan of this book. I do not like that the "hero" had been betrothed to the heroine since she was a child and how he groomed and manipulated her into marriage. I liked the aunt and her friends, but the betrayal by the heroine's friends was unforgivable.
Kim
Jul 10, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The ending redeemed this, but that redemption came after so many painful chapters---and so many moments when I almost put the book down---that I can't in good conscience rate this book higher.
Emily
Sep 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I almost didn't finish this book. The aunts caught my interest and I managed to finish it. The fighting/anger between the two main characters was almost too much.
Miriamgreen
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
an excellent simmering romance, enlivened by four aunts of distinguishing characters and great humor who have been working on a tapestry for twenty four years since the birth of Queen Victoria. This was the not a pun, backdrop that kept the story chugging along. The h/h were oil and water. with onslaughts of dialogue truly cruel and vengeful. there is the thin line between love and hate which was in constant waver. Hannah abandoned her husband after 6 mo of marriage and he has since been accused ...more
Kindle Reads
Too much bitter internal musings and vengeful arguments

Intriguing start. The husband Hannah had abandoned manipulates a reunion, after years of rumors that he killed her. Their past is revealed, in Hannah's thoughts and prolonged arguments.

Felt like I was trapped with a bickering couple for many chapters. Wanted to flee.
Positive note- The bitter musings and dialogue was realistic. After many chapters of it, the elderly aunts seemed to herald comedic respite - too brief a respite.

The constant a
Dayna
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The third book (I’m not counting the prequel as part of the series) in the Governess Brides series. It’s been many years since I last read this book, so I only had the vaguest of recollections as to what happened in this one.

I liked this one the best of the series so far – but then I do love me a reunited lovers story. There was great angst between these two, and great chemistry too. It had a lot of interesting elements that I thoroughly enjoyed. Not a perfect book, but it engaged me nicely.
Gail
Reunion story. The heroine ran away from her husband about a decade ago. Now she's afraid he's found her, so she takes a job back in Lancashire in hopes of avoiding him, and finding out who her father was. On the way out to her new job, she learns her employer is suspected of killing his wife, as well as the previous two or three possessors of the title. Then she meets him. And it's the husband she ran away from. The rest of the story is how they work their way through to each other again.
Zaxs Yacs

To the owner of the Distinguished Academy of Governesses

****Dear Madame Owner, I am looking for an experienced companion for my sweet, elderly, slightly dotty aunt, and that companion must be:

1. Tall, blonde and twenty-seven years of age.

2. Desirous of living in an ancient castle in an isolated area of Lancashire.

3. Not nervous about any sinister rumors about me.

4. You.

Sincerely, the newly titled Marquess of Raeburn

From the owner of the Distinguished Academy of Governesses

**My dear, m

Jessy
Jun 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
I didn't even want to finish this book. The hero just gave me the creeps, I mean 13 and 21? Weird. He had no redeeming qualities. Don't even get me started on her "punishment." Ugh! Just didn't enjoy him.
Angel Tochukwu
Feb 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't one of Christina's best work, the book was quite tedious actually. I was just in a hurry to get through it and say yeah I completed one book successfully (it was pure agony).
Read that scandalous night or thigh high (you'll get a feel of Christina's talent)
Stephanie Williams
Omg I really enjoyed this book, there were times where i wasnt sure but i really did like how it all came together. The two main characters were a treat and i just luv luv the aunts. I am so glad that i read this series.
Elaine
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I forgot that I had this book, which I purchased in 2001 - and unread!
It was well worth reading. Lots of intrigue, and I enjoyed it immensely. Slightly different from some of today's writing. However, a good plot, clever writing, and lots of characters. 4☆
Wenny Widjaja
3,5 stars !!
Dawntwilight000
The Hero is the books was an ass and continued to be an ass until the last few pages of this book.
Rating more like 2.5 stars
Debbie Dodd
I enjoyed reading.
Annette Meier
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story had to many emotional twists and turns . . . eventually it gave purpose to the mystery and backstory that played throughout.
Linda
Mar 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hannah Setterington came to Castle Raeburn to care for the owner’s elderly aunt. He has his back to her but she recognizes the voice and then his face. This is Dougald Pippard, the new Lord Ruskin, and the husband she ran away from nine years ago. How did he find her and why did he bring her here? He acts cold but this soon changes as their attraction for each other has never died and soon flares up again. The past two earls have died under suspicious circumstances and when shots are fired at Do ...more
Oleta Blaylock
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is a murder mystery and I wasn't really sure who was committing the murders until almost the end of the story. This story is also the end of the first story arc for this series. Ms. Hannah Setterington finally meets her match in this tale of unrequited love and a husband's lust for revenge. There are a few twists and turns in this story and a few of them surprised em. I remember reading this story so many years ago. The basic plot has stuck in my mind over the years. I am not sure tha ...more
Joan
Lauren
3 Stars

Synopsis
Dougald Pippard, Lord Raeburn, has been waiting for nine years to satisfy his need for revenge against Hannah Setterington but now that the moment is upon him, the desire that always raged between them flares once again and Dougald may have to put aside his goals to fulfill an even greater need for love.

Review
Enjoyable premise but the hero is completely domineering, manipulative and obsessed with revenge for most of the book.

Dougald and Hannah have a compellin
_inbetween_
For half of the book it seemed that amazon critic was right in saying this novel was unrelentingly unpleasant with the couple only arguing. The first 100 pages were basically one scene, them meeting again and rehashing things quite pointlessly but also repetitively or something, too many words with no substance. I thought Dodd must have finally given up on love being an attainable goal, because he was too unbearable - much like Hunter's beloved merchant, only more shockingly because Dodd does no ...more
Madara
Jan 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me some time to finish this book. I read various inbetween and then returned and finished this one.

I was quite disappointed actually... The heroes were so...unbelievably stupid. Their actions, their attitude. Ok, her marriage wasn't what she hoped for. But it was good. Her husband didn't treat her bad. Not so to just run away from him. And Dougald... He was just as ignorant and arrogant as she remembered him to be. I couldnt believe he did not understand his errors. I couldn't believe h
Lita Bouquard
Hannah - the owner of the Governess Academy has sold her business and retreated to take a private job. When convinced surveillance (she believes was ordered by her husband )makes her nervous, she runs. To him. Dodd has once again written a humorous romance with great cast of odd characters- a senile aunt and her friends she fosters, and an intriguing plotting hero. Hannah's past and present collide when she discovers her ex has become an earl with an aunt who needs caring. Dougald, the Earl has ...more
« previous 1 3 next »

• Hero, Come Back
  • The Ice Princess (Princes Trilogy, #3.5)
  • Secret Fire
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
  • To Seduce A Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • Charming the Prince (Once Upon A Time, #1)
  • And Then He Kissed Her (Girl Bachelors, #1)
  • A Summer to Remember (Bedwyn Prequels, #2)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Bride by Mistake (Devil Riders, #5)
  • Who Wants to Marry a Duke (Duke Dynasty #3)
  • Guilty Pleasures (Guilty, #1)
  • That Perfect Someone (Malory-Anderson Family, #10)
  • Beware a Scot's Revenge (School for Heiresses, #3)
  • Duke of Pleasure (Maiden Lane, #11)
  • Wild Wicked Scot (Highland Grooms, #1)
  • The Most Dangerous Duke in London (Decadent Dukes Society, #1)
  • The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2)
Enter the WRONG ALIBI contest now and win! https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/en...
Upcoming in 2020:
—RIGHT MOTIVE, coming Nov. 1
—WRONG ALIBI, coming Dec. 29
In the Alaskan wilderness, the hunted can become the hunter. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

New and now!
— STRANGERS SHE KNOWS: Cape Charade Full Length Suspense #3 https://www.goodreads.com/book/

Governess Brides (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • That Scandalous Evening (Governess Brides #1)
  • Rules of Surrender (Governess Brides, #2)
  • Rules of Engagement (Governess Brides, #3)
  • In My Wildest Dreams (Governess Brides, #5)
  • Lost in Your Arms (Governess Brides, #6)
  • My Favorite Bride (Governess Brides, #7)
  • My Fair Temptress (Governess Brides, #8)
  • In Bed with the Duke (Governess Brides, #9)
  • Taken by the Prince (Governess Brides #10)
  • A Pirate's Wife for Me (Governess Brides, #11)