Start by marking “Azzi in Between” as Want to Read:
Azzi in Between

Azzi in Between

4.32  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Azzi and her parents are in danger. They have to leave their home and escape to another country on a frightening journey by car and boat. In the new country they must learn to speak a new language, find a new home and Azzi must start a new school. With a kind helper at the school, Azzi begins to learn English and understand that she is not the only one who has had to flee ...more
Published June 18th 2012 by Frances Lincoln Children's Bks

To ask other readers questions about Azzi in Between, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Azzi in Between

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Excellent perspective on what it means to be a refuge from the perspective of a little girl who can't understand why her grandmother is no longer with her. Heartfelt and honest with wonderful art.
LH Johnson
Azzi In Between first came to my attention following it winning the inaugural Little Rebels Children’s Book Award . This, coupled with the review it got over at Playing By The Book meant that it was one book that was very much on my radar.

And I'm so glad it was.

There's a problem (do I mean problem? issue, maybe, concern, maybe) with books of this nature sometimes becoming too overly didactic. I don't mind that at times but I do mind it when the ideology becomes overwhelming for the reader. Ther
Margaret Boling
1/25/14 ** This picture book, written and illustrated in frames, as a graphic novel would be, tells the story of Azzi, a refugee from an unspecified* middle-eastern country to a western country. The story is a little more nuanced than some, with several moves, leaving a grandmother behind and then having her come join then. It seemed to go longer than I intuitively expected, with two narrative peaks. The structure fit "real life" better than some fiction does.

This book would help American childr
Becca Edwards
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. I think that it is very relevant at the moment, and it would be a good book to address any ideas or misconceptions children may have about refugees. It has been written in such a way, that children could read it and understand it alone, and the illustrations can also be used to help children understand the story. It shows the differences in countries and cultures, and children would be able to notice similarities and differences between Azzi's life and their own lives ...more
Alison
The winner of 2013's Little Rebels prize for radical children's book, this graphic novel tells the story of Azzi and her family who leave their war-torn country, and manage a difficult and dangerous journey to safety. They leave behind all their possessions, and worse, they leave Azzi's beloved grandmother. The family have left a beautiful house and garden, but in the new country they live in one room. Eventually, Azzi makes friends and learns the language, and the book ends on an optimistic not ...more
Claire
Jun 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
There should be more children's books/graphic novels along these lines. Telling the story of real-life issues that many young people go through all over the world- living through war, having to flee, moving to a country where they do not speak the language. I enjoyed the art & story but wish the structure of the comic had been more creative, but understand that it is likely serving as an introduction to the genre.
June
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: refugee and new immigrant requests
This is a nice introductory story about refugees. I love the hopeful ending of Azzi and her family reunited and settling in. However, it lost one star for not including the spicy bean recipe.
Sharni Benson
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I work with lots of refugee kids and this gave me a real insight to what it is like for them.

From the perspective of a little girl (age not determined but early primary school), it paints a picture of what it was like for one so innocent, just having fun as kids do but watching the soldiers and listening to helicopters and guns, then the escape. But most of the story is focussing on her life in a new country, where everything is different but all she wants is for her family to be happy and toget
Stephanie Tournas
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Azzi and her parents escape from an unnamed country at war, leaving behind her beloved Grandma. They find refuge in another country, and Azzi starts school and learn to speak English. But, life is hard for the little family. Azzi's father especially misses his garden. And then, Azzi thinks of a way to bring a bit of home to their new country.

The warm, bright colors depict the destruction of war, as well as the warmth of welcome of a new country.
Nov 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very highly recommended for children, teachers and parents. My children loved the story, found it exciting and interesting and have a much better understanding now of the experience of refugees. This is a long book compared with most picture books and this length allows the author to explore Azzi's journey in detail. It's not just about a perilous journey to a new country, but also her struggles with a new language and culture.
Jack Sharpe
This was an amazing book that clearly displays the emotions and events that could take a place for a family who have to leave a country. This follows the story with more detail then 'The Journey' and would be more usual to share with a class. This would be perfect for a class that has a new starter in their class, or just to help a child's own moral compass.
Cheri
I was really impressed with this book--it showed just enough of the child's view on war and on being a refugee to make the reader anxious and afraid, but not so much that it would overwhelm or trigger a kid. I especially liked how the effort to learn English was described throughout the book. I look forward to seeing what my graphic novel gurus think of this one at the library.
Philippa N
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A quite brilliant and sensitively written account of a child's journey as a refugee. It prompts many good discussions about how one might feel as a refugee with the hardships possibly encountered when having to escape from war and other dangers. A must read for every child and parent.
Lamis Gabr
Aug 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
very touchy story and very expressive illustrations, a lot to tell and to explain to your kids behind its lines , about war, homeland meaning , the refugee's suffering, family and hope. me and my son really enjoyed reading this deep story together.
Edward Sullivan
Nov 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A sensitive, hopeful story about a refugee family told from a young child's perspective in graphic format.
Suzy
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book to help young readers understand what it would be like to be a refugee.
Atiqer
Feb 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Heart warming
Mary
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant to read with children to get a sense of some of what it is like to be a child refugee. Sensitively told and a message of hope
Zoe
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gentle, strong, thought provoking, hopeful - a lovely book indeed.
Lucy
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
this story ,about this girl named azzie escaping her country because of war and leaving her grandmother behing, she has to learn new language and her dad has to find a job or they won't have enough money to stay and they will have to go back to their country at war, is very good because i like adventure books and this one is very exiting, i do recommend this book!!!!!!
Sirak
Nov 13, 2016 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i
Sophie Ellcome
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!

A wonderful and clear way for explaining current events

Topics of war, asylum seeking, immigration, families being split up, human rights, escaping war, starting a new life

Rise of immigration means there is more EAL than ever- good way of explaining this to other children, make them understand why this is happening

But still child friendly - set out like a comic book

Amnesty International - good way to introduce what this is
Andy Verschoyle
It's part picture book, part cartoon and a real story, almost has a documentary feel. You can read it to younger children but there is much here to discuss - war, human migration, assimilation, Schools, bureaucracy, family. Perhaps more an educational resource than a work of art.
J Andrew
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
The artwork in Azzi in Between is fantastic and the subject matter is gripping. However, the story read clumsily and at points it undermines the gravity of the situation.
Dolly
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a heartwarming tale about a young girl who escapes her war-ravaged homeland with her family. The flight from her home is sudden and perilous and Azzi is sad because her grandmother chooses to stay behind.

The family starts a new life in a strange country, forced to learn a new language, understand a different culture, and make sacrifices as they await permission to stay in their newly adopted home.

The book is designed in a graphic novel format, but the pictures and text font are big enou
Billie Crane
Jun 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: ed-689
Azzi and her family have to flee their country due to a dangerous war, sadly though, they choose to leave Grandma behind. Their journey takes them by car and boat to a new country where struggles with a new language and fitting in rise in abundance. Luckily with the help of a tutor and spicy beans, Azzi begins to fit in with her new surroundings. Soon her grandma is able to join the family, after a dangerous journey of her own. The illustrations for this book, done in felt pen and watercolor, ar ...more
Den
Nov 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, teen, 2014
Azzi has to leave her home and country with her parents and travel by car and boat to another country - where she doesn't know the language, their life-style, their food ....
She misses her grandma terribly but slowly with the help of a new friend she begins to learn the new language.
A brilliant book which tells the story of a girl travelling to a new country. It highlights the problems the families and children face in their new 'home' and just how difficult it can be for them and their families
Whitney Rachel
I wish I knew where she was fleeing from/to. I get the AI's mission with this book is to expose the rough transition of refugees in general, but I felt like having a determined setting would have really added to the power of this graphic novel. I also don't think it's a very true representation of the refugee/aslyee struggle.

I did, however, enjoy the GN's simplicity. I think it's a good read.
Marcie
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: immigration-unit
Immigration Unit Book
Jenny Johnson
Oct 21, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
There is more than one author with this name.

Sarah Garland has written and illustrated over forty picture books and adventure stories for young children. She is best known for her warm and witty portrayals of family relationships, and for her outstanding work for preschool picture books.

She lives in the beautiful village of Chedworth in the Cotswolds with
her husband, artist David Garland.
More about Sarah Garland...