Start by marking “Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present” as Want to Read:
Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present

Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present

Historical events of the last three centuries come alive through these women’s singular correspondences—often their only form of public expression. In 1775, Rachel Revere tries to send financial aid to her husband, Paul, in a note that is confiscated by the British; First Lady Dolley Madison tells her sister about rescuing George Washington’s portrait during the War of 181 ...more
Published September 27th 2005 by The Dial Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Women's Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women's Letters

Start your review of Women's Letters: America from the Revolutionary War to the Present
AskHistorians
Primary source collection. Letters, all transcribed and easy to read. Famous women and un-famous women. It's wonderful, you can pick it up, read one or two, put it down, or curl up with it for hours. Some letters will really just break your heart.
Kira
Nov 26, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Technically a DNF.

This definitely isn't my cup of tea though I generally enjoy books like this. The vast majority of the letters I read in the first 500~ pages of this doorstopper were absolutely boring. I spent another 100 pages or so skimming for the interesting ones and decided to leave it at that when I didn't find many more.

A technically DNF because there's 200 pages left.
Karisa
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to campaign for my book club to put this one on our list. It's a compilation of letters that women have written through the years, and it was fascinating. It starts out in the 1770s and goes to present time. You just skip around and read whatever sounds interesting. I spent most of my time reading Revolutionary War era letters and also letters from the mid-1900s. A lot of our history is written from the male perspective (since women weren't given formal education for a long time, and m ...more
Anna
Apr 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a great book compiling letters from a variety of women throughout US history. I have not read the whole thing (my copy is 800 pages) but I went through and read letters from years that are meaningful to me. I would love to read the whole thing at some point. It would be great for a US history class. I love that it gives all types of women voices. We don't often hear their side of history. One letter that stuck with me is a girl who dressed as a man to fight in the civil war. She died on ...more
Charlotte
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book is a gift that will keep on giving as the many letters that were written from 1775 to 2004 will undoubtedly give me enjoyment and inspiration for some time to come. I have put it beside my bed to read just a few each day so I can take the time to reflect on them but the book creeped downstairs this morning because I wanted to keep reading. The very first letter is a short note from an Abigail Grant berating her husband for acting cowardly at Bunker Hill. She offers to take his place if ...more
Whitney
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
This volume--a gift from Brynn--goes on the "perpetually reading" shelf. It's an excellent collection of letters, the perfect thing to pick up when you're in between books or just want a change of scene.

I think it would also be neat to pair selections from this book while reading an American history, especially if reading about a time in which women's voices were not included in the official record.

Also, and my testimony is proof, a great gift.
Heather
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a great primary source. I used it for a few papers. It's also just an interesting collection. The authors compiled various letters written by women to their friends, family, etc about every historical topic imaginable. It's a great book to flip through.
Diane Mueller
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love history! So often history books ignores women's role and experiences. This book allows you to read letters from women written between the 1700's and 2000's. This book contains 700+ pages of American history as seen through the eyes of the women who lived it.
Grace
Apr 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a good book to read in sections. How the art of letter writing has vanished! It does include some e-mails at the end, but it's just not the same. You have to think more and have more time to think when you're writing long-hand.

I have this book to loan if anyone is interested.
 Barb Bailey
I loved this book of historical letters written by women. Some were to friends, family, husbands etc. This gave alot of insight into womens lives and their daily life and political/ historical happenings at time of the writtings.
Beth Francis
Mar 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love love love this book!! There are few better ways to understand the lives of women than through their letters. Small and day to day concerns are discussed right along side the more life changing events of war, love, birth and death. I cannot say enough good things about this compilation!
Sherri
Jun 30, 2008 marked it as to-read
Just bought this last week - I like reading letters - they seem so personal. So far its a bit slow b/c I'm in the 18th century letters, which I find a bit bland, but I think overall its amazing to read history this way.
Melanie
Jan 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
best book ever highly recommended naivally the history of the America in womens letters from 1775 to 2005
Cortney
This one would be awesome to read!
Jamie
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
An inspiring and insightful journey into the lives of both well known and ordinary women in America. This is a compilation of expressed dreams, fears and vision. "
Karianne
I skimmed through many of the letters but is an interesting book if you have time for it. Felt a bit like a history text book.....
As
Jan 28, 2015 rated it liked it
A really fun way to remember our history. Letters from woman who were in the upper "class" to slaves, really unique.
Elizabeth
A marvelous book.
Page
Oct 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommended to Page by: Saw it in a bookstore
There is a captivation in reading other people's letters and these by women portray the evolution of lives they grasp as possible and those not considered due to their era.
Martyn Rehberg

• A Summons to Memphis
  • The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper
  • The Collected Stories of Jean Stafford
  • Good and Cheap: Eat Well on $4/Day
  • Uncivilized (Uncivilized, #1)
  • Stealing Her (Covet, #1)
  • The Blood of Emmett Till
  • Jane Austen at Home
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
  • Victoria The Queen: An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire
  • The Fadeaway (Smart Jocks, #2)
  • Sacked (Gridiron, #1)
  • Jockblocked (Gridiron, #2)
Lisa Grunwald is the author of the novels Time After Time, The Irresistible Henry House, Whatever Makes You Happy, New Year's Eve, The Theory of Everything, and Summer. Along with her husband, Reuters editor-in-chief Stephen J. Adler, she edited the bestselling anthologies The Marriage Book, Women's Letters and Letters of the Century. Grunwald is a former contributing editor to Life and a former f ...more