Start by marking “Peppermint” as Want to Read:

4.7  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This is the beautiful story of a small kitten who is born in a candy store and needs a home. If you've read it, you may remember the image of a kitten who has been accidentally dyed blue. You may also remember how heartwarming it is when a sad little kitten and sad little girl find happiness together.
The story, while clearly from a bygone era, is still memorable. It's a gr
Published 1967 by Merrigold Press (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Peppermint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peppermint

Sep 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite children's book. This may have been the book that taught me to read, because I know my mom read it to me until I'd memorized it, and I read it by myself many times as well.

Peppermint is a kitten that is adopted by a little girl. She plans to take him to show and tell at school, so she tries to bathe him, but he ends up in a bowl of blue dye!

You have to read it to find out how it all turns out!
Mar 01, 2008 rated it liked it
I bought a copy of this title from the 50's at a garage sale, and my daughter just loved it. She wrote a mini-review of it in first grade, so I'll just let her do the talking here:

"Peppermint is a verry beuteyfull book. She is gray and has ruff fur. Then a girl takes her home and washes her. Then she jumps in the blueing and then she was a beuteyfull blue cat!"
Jul 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Peppermint is the kitten version of Charlie Brown's Christmas tree. No one wants it, it looks all bedraggled and tiny, but then one little girl takes it home and loves it, and it turns out to be a beautiful kitten. Who accidentally bathes in the blueing when the girl's mother tries to bathe it.*

*Do people still add blueing to make their whites look whiter?
Feb 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: eljin
My sister and I had this book when we were little and I scooped a pristine copy from an Instagram shop as a gift for her. The illustrations are darling and brought back tons of memories, but the sentiment was a little bit off and not something I would have been so excited about had I remembered.
Lindsay Downs
Jul 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this book based on pure nostalgia. The moral, if there is one, is almost offensive: little Peppermint was only worthy until Barbara's mother accidentally dyed her blue...

This books is still AWESOME!
Joan Concilio
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction-read
My absolute favorite book ever, and the first one I remember reading on my own as a kid. Spawned a lifelong love of reading - AND it's about a cat. How much better can you get?
This was a cute book. I loved the illustrations but what was my favorite part was the price of the kittens... only .15 cents. That's right for .15 you could have your very own fluffy candy named kitten. You can't even get a piece of gum for .15 these days. Oh, and you have to love the candy shop owner being named Mr. Dobby (hello, fellow Potterheads).

This is a classic book with the type of illustrations and story you would expect. It wasn't a masterpiece but it was still very enjoyable and I wo
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So dated with the laundry bluing and all. Still, I loved Peppermint with my whole heart as a child and I’m not about to stop now.
Lauren Wood
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el230
This was my absolute favorite book as a child. My mom would read this to me every night. The content of this book is simple but it teaches that being caring and compassionate can go a long way and that looks aren't everything. For example, Peppermint didn't always look as good as she does in the end but she was always the sweet little kitten. I would recommend this book from kindergarten to second grade.
May 01, 2011 added it
Shelves: pre-adult-reads
This was one of my favorite books when I was a little girl. Seeing this cover brings back so many memories and makes me nostalgic. It's a story about kittens for sale in a candy shop. One of the kittens gets dyed blue by accident and no one wants it. A little girl takes it home and somehow the kitten gets cleaned and the little girl discovers that it's a beautiful white kitten.
Gretchen Ingram
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I would love to find another copy of this- it's a sweet book!

Found! I haven't read this in so many years... it was a treat to re-read it with Emily today. She's too old for it too, of course, but she liked it as well.
May 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is an adorable book about a lonely kitten and a lonely little girl. They find each other, and the little girl (Barbara) is going to take the kitten Peppermint to a cat show, but the cat hates the bath so much, she jumps out into a bowl of blue dye. But all ends well.
Jul 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK! Absolutely my favorite children's book. A few years ago I wanted a copy, and getting it was quite the adventure. From several librarians, websites and some interesting fan discussions. It is the story of a kitten who falls in bleach and turns Blue. Great Book.
Oct 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book as a child and I'm delighted to have it in my collection, it's sweet and the pictures are just adorable. It's always been one of my favorites and I love it even as an adult.
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
My favorite book from my childhood. I wish that it was still in print. I'd love to give a copy to my niece.
Kris Phillips
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I ever read by myself (I was 4), and I still have it! So excited to find it listed here.
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I loved that poor little cat and I was that little girl.
Sarah Rowland
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
My absolute favourite book when I was a child growing up in Florida in the 80s. I still have my 39cent edition and enjoy reading it to my toddler but don't let her touch it!!
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book so much as a child. And now I want a kitten.
Mar 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Cute old kid's book. I read this to almost 4 year old Keturah when they were visiting. Bluing is a bit outdated though. I wonder how many kids know what it is?
Jan 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book as a child. I often look for it in book stores just so I can own a copy again.
Oct 26, 2013
Feb 13, 2016
Nariba Barry
rated it did not like it
Jun 06, 2015