Start by marking “Words Heard in Silence (The Redmond Family Saga, #1)” as Want to Read:
Words Heard in Silence (The Redmond Family Saga, #1)

Words Heard in Silence

(The Redmond Family Saga #1)

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  176 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Historical Drama. Culpeper, Virginia in the fall of 1864 was at a dark time in this once bustling town. Rebecca Gaines, widowed by the conflict that had torn the nation apart, struggles single-handedly to manage the family farm. Life is hard in the beleaguered South, so when a troop of Union soldiers rides in to winter over on her property, Rebecca is grudgingly glad of th ...more
Paperback, 1st edition, 550 pages
Published January 28th 2004 by Cavalier Press (first published January 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Words Heard in Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Words Heard in Silence

Jane Shambler
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: army, historical
Words fail me!

This book is one of the most interesting and passionate books I have ever read. I've read many including many off the classics. But this book I feel was written from the heart. The American civil war, like all wars are damaging beyond recognition. But amongst the brutality and devastation relationships are formed and nurtured. Both love and friendship blossomed between the excellent characters. This book evoked many different emotions, not least happiness and sadness at the same ti
Bib
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The kindle version of this book is free on Amazon from 07 May 2016 to 11 May 2016.
Jan
Words Heard in Silence – 3 and stars . I read the on line version. It started out well, with interesting characters and plot. Words Heard in Silence is well written but needed editing for the repetitive details and plot point reminders, and some side plots could have been removed, probably due to the fact it was most likely posted a chapter at a time. I think it would have been good as 2 novels, with more time spent with the characters after the war. Overall, a fun read, a little melodramatic, ...more
TinyAsian
3.5 stars. It has likable characters, lovely dialogues and storylines. A lot of things i find them irrelevant but some people may like all the details. It takes some patience to go through the entire story though.
Jem
I read the original fanfic version of this a long time ago. It's one of my favorite historical FF. Someone should publish this in ebook format!
Whoopy
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I liked the story, glad I read it.
(view spoiler)
This is not one I will read again quickly.
Shiki
May 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
Okee...
Diawali dengan bagus, pacing oke...
Tapi kenapa 3/4 akhir Charlie-nya jadi nyebelin banget??

Dua bintang untukmu, karena karakternya nggak terlalu loveable.
Nggak konstan, tepatnya.

Ezra
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
Ginger Miller
Disappointing.

A friend convinced me that I simply HAD to read this book. Obviously this friend doesn't know me as well as I believed. Rather dull. Long on unnecessary details and people. The ideal of the story was fine but taken to extremes by the writers. So very many unnecessary descriptions of just about everything and everyone. Ridiculously unbelievable. The finest character in the book, Elizabeth, should have been the main character. Her role, her background, intelligence, and personality m
Marcel
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a very long book with a lot of detail. It's great if you want to spend a lot of time with great characters just living their lifes, but too slow if youre coming from standard format romances. I'd actually compare it to Slice of Life animes.

One thing that irked me was that, even though there are a few black characters and the book plays during a war fought over slavery, it was never a topic.
Tammy Ulm
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming Historical Romance, 4.5 Stars

This is a very well written, heartwarming historical romance set during the end of the civil war. The authors did a great job of integrating fictional characters with well known real characters and events, offering a unique perspective to this well known era in history. It is highly engaging, with richly detailed main and secondary characters. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and highly recommend it.
Rae Storey
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I enjoy a good love story, but Words Heard In Silence is just too happy. I tried, I really tried to enjoy this book. It seemed a great premis, but I made it 40% through and I can't keep going. I found myself flipping pages, reading a couple sentences, flipping a few more pages, and reading a couple more sentences.

Charlie is the (too) perfect human specimen and Rebecca is a smitten kitten; they love each other deeply, but they are both skittish. Charlie has been hiding his secret for many years,
Meredith Mc
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Historical Romance does not do it justice.

Excellent story, excellent characters. A little bit pat in places, but overall a wonderful read. Having read this book prior to publication, I had been looking for a copy for many years. Thanks to ebooks, I was able to revisit this story. I have also learned there are sequels that I am eager to read as well.
Erika Crabe
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I hardly know where to begin! Charlotte/Charlie Redmond and Rebecca Gaines are spectacular characters. The book is enormous, richly detailed, and extremely well researched. I didn't know if I would like a book set in the Civil War, but I'm so glad I gave this book a chance! I'm starting Book 2 tomorrow!
Amy
Jul 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed the characters very much. Normally I don't listen to books, but I was able to with this one and I actually believe that helped me enjoy the story more. Don't ask me to explain how I came to that conclusion, but it makes sense to me. I wanted to crawl in the book and smack Charlie, thank you Elizabeth, for kicking him in the ass.
Margaret L. Hedman
Loved this book.

I loved this book. I could not put it down. It reminds me of 'Bittersweet' by Nevada Barr. Dealing w/ the subject of women disguised as men in order to live with another woman. Please continue this story.
Sandi Setlak
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words heard in silence

Great epic and love story of the civil war period with a wonderful twist. This story will fill your heart with love and faith along the way. Do not be afraid to read it completely.
Debbi
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
A really good book that I would have easily given four stars to except for the overdone romance. Am on the second book now and it doesn't seem to have the same fault. I guess the author just wanted to make sure we knew our two main characters, Rebecca and Charlie, were truly in love.
Mary Brooks
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
One of my favourite novels. Superbly written by T. Novan and Taylor Rickard.
Just love Charlie and Rebecca.
Shawn Cady
Feb 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I read this when it was just a short novella by TN. Good historical read.
B Money
Nov 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
awesome

I picked this up and wasn't able to put it down. Many night I bargained with 5am vs another chapter. Real feel good and wonderful read. Totes recommend.
Jack Provencio
Apr 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story

A friend suggested this book and I wasn't disappointed. The story pulls you in. Already purchased part 2 & 3.
Kim
Jul 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: civil-war
I've read this book many times and still love it. The Civil War is one of my favorite times in history. Written well with few typos. I've the sequel on the short list.

Fleur
Jun 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
Ulla
Jan 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful novel about the American Civil War!
Britcleark
Mar 27, 2016
Paulina
Jun 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Hidden Truths (The Oregon Series, #2)
  • Beloved Pilgrim
  • The Spanish Pearl (Kate Vincent Adventures, #1)
  • Tumbleweed Fever
  • First Lady
  • The Seduction of Moxie
  • Firefly
  • The Devil Be Damned (Cain Casey, #4)
  • Josie and Rebecca: The Western Chronicles
  • Long Shot
  • Destiny's Bridge (Lex and Amanda, #1)
  • Indigo Moon (Garoul, #3)
  • Lethal Affairs (Elite Operatives, #1)
  • The Temple at Landfall (Celaeno, #3)
  • Hurricane Watch (Dar and Kerry, #2)
  • Rainey's Christmas Miracle  (Rainey Bell, #2.5)
  • Broken Wings
Author T. Novan, has been writing essentially his entire life. His love of the craft and his desire to master the art started young when he won a community creative writing contest at the age of 8 with a short story about how mankind would settle future disputes over a chessboard.
40 years later, he realized that after spending some time as an auto mechanic, police officer and even most recently a

The Redmond Family Saga (4 books)
  • Paths of Peace (The Redmond Family Saga, #2)
  • Enemies in the Gate (The Redmond Family Saga, #3)
  • Honor Thy Father (The Redmond Family Saga, #4)