Start by marking “A Question of Loyalty” as Want to Read:
A Question of Loyalty

A Question of Loyalty

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  117 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Finding the wounded rebel in the barn was just the beginning of Deborah's troubles. If she is caught hiding Dan, her family will be branded as traitors and their barn burned. If she turns him over to the sheriff, he will be hanged! Deborah is torn between a father she has always trusted to be right, and the wounded boy who begs for her help. A gripping story of divided loy ...more
Hardcover
Published August 30th 2007 by Scholastic Tab Publications (first published 1940)

To ask other readers questions about A Question of Loyalty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Question of Loyalty

Christine H
Sep 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grade 7 and 8 students
Shelves: ya-lit
I don't think I would have ever chosen to read A Question of Loyalty if my Grade 8 class weren't reading it, but once I got past the first chapter, I found myself compelled to find out how it ends. In general, the writing is fast paced and uses the Mackenzie rebellions well as a background for the story. The first chapter is a bit slow for me -- personal preference, probably, about not liking chase scenes --, but the rest of the chapters build up towards the resolution quite nicely. The confli ...more
Short and snappy. A great book to bring to life the complex landscape of rebellion - the action isn't in the rebellion itself, but in dealing with the rebels. I liked that this book was more about people than history, because it made the book really resonate on an emotional level. That's where a read aloud has real educational value, when the facts meet emotions and give the brain something to hold onto.

Don't get me wrong, the history is still there, but the main rebel in the story isn't in the
Books+Me=love4ever
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I honestly adored this book. I'm a girl that is a big fan of epic romances, some of my favourite books being Divergent and The Demon King, but this book contained an element so sweet that it became a book that I've read over and over again. It may not lived up to the gut wrenching romances often found in the young adult genre, but it is worth reading because of the innocent love it exemplifies.
Maddy
Mar 11, 2018 rated it liked it
Maybe a bit preachy story of the Upper Canada Rebellion. Love triumphs if I remember correctly!
Dawn

Setting:
Location - Queenston, York
Time Period - 1837

Review
A young girl finds a wounded rebel hiding in her family’s barn. They must help him get to safety because if he is found he could be hanged. Loyal to the crown the family struggles with their sense of duty to country as well as their duty to their fellow man. As a nice change for this type of story the whole family work together to help the boy, rather tha
Damaris Tonner
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was one of my favourite books in Grade 7 and Grade 8, and I still pick it up and read it again and again from time to time. What a wonderful perspective of the War of 1812, from a Canadian viewpoint! The characters and romance are convincing, but not too sappy for young readers. This is a must-read for young, avid history fans. I would suggest every Canadian homeschooler should read this one.
Mikayla
I really loved the premise of this book. (also it has the same title as a book a goodreads friend is writing). The style was alright, and it was really clean. I did like her parents.
But there were a few things that bugged me:
1. Deborah has been raised to hate people like Dan, then suddenly she feels more loyalty to him then her family. I didn't really get how that worked.
2. Deborah pretty much thinks the world should revolve around herself. This was a realistic feeling, but highly annoying to
Sam
Despite very prominently emulating the ambiance of the rebel-heavy olden days, A Question of Loyalty is far too tedious to succeed at its goals and fails to provide much of a gripping drama--drowning out most of the novel's characterization in the process.
♥Justine♥
May 14, 2011 rated it liked it
A great book! But... I had to read it for school, so I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I would if I read it on my free time! Doing work is always a downer.
Angela
Oct 07, 2014
Albailey
Aug 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Inspired by her own early fascination with historical tales, author Barbara Greenwood specializes in writing historical fiction and biographies for children and young people. When she was young she couldn't find novels about Canada's past. Now she immerses herself in the subject: reading old diaries, journals, and letters, visiting museums, doing in-depth research at libraries, visiting the areas ...more